smallest cruising(55 mph) scooter for GF

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by scottorious, Sep 12, 2012.

1. scottorious

scottorious n00b

Oddometer:
    My GF currently has an aero 50 which runs like a champ. It will hustle up to 45 mph with her on it as she is only 100 pounds. She rides the crap out of the thing and as I near completion of my CH150 she is talking about wanting to be able to get out on some country roads without being a huge hazard. I would like to get her up to 55 mph, has anyone done any DIO motors or AF05E motors that with a 100 pound girl could do 55? Ideally the lightweight 2-stroke engines would be the way to go for her, I just dont know how long they can sustain near wide open throttle.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    You might check out the PCX150. It was designed with riders like her in mind.

And you're not going to beat the price; and if it turns out to be true Honda quality, it's an absolute steal.
  3. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A PCX 150 is definatly a nice scooter and she would definatly like one but I would hardly call it cheap. there are not many 2 strokes out there anymore. I like 2 strokes and I own a Zuma 50 but a 4 stroke is a better choice for her. I am not familiar with the Areo. If she is looking for an inexpensive scooter that will do 55mph I would look at a Kymco agility 125. If she wants something with larger wheels then I would look at the Kymco people 125 or 150. The 14 in. wheeled scooters I would stay away from because there are not many tire choices and the ones that are available are expensive.
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you wanting a vintage scooter, or a new or newer one? I was seriously considering a PCX150 for myself, my local dealer has them on sale for $3195. Then I found out about the valve adjustment. It has frequent valve adjustment intervals, and a valve adjustment is a 3-4 hour job. And they are supposed to be checked at 600 miles. For me it would kind of take the fun out of buying a new scooter, knowing I would have to almost completely disassemble it in 600 miles to check the valves. Honda could have designed it with an access panel to get to the valves. Also kind of makes me question Honda's engineering. Why would a new tech engine require valve checks every 4000 miles?

I have a Yamaha Vino 125 that will sometimes reach 55 with my 220 pounds on it. I understand a Buddy 125 or an Agility 125 are both a little faster.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Buddy 125/150/170 is very small and lightweight.
  6. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sym HD200 70 mph 70 mpg
    Cruising at 55 MPH needs a top speed of 70 MPH.
  7. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    depends how tall she is
  8. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, the Buddy 170. Now there's a small scooter that will definitely maintain 55 mph, probably 65 mph.
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buddy 125 can hit 72 with 180lbs on it and will cruise at 60 for hours at a time though if I were buying one now I'd get the 170i but when we bought ours the Buddy was only available in 50 and 125ccs. Ours has been a daily commuter for my son when he was in high school and will be for my youngest son when he is old enough to get his license (8 more months.)
  10. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that GPS verified?

A PCX150 starts to lose it's legs at 60 mph with 180lb's on it.
  11. =retread=

=retread= freedom loving USA

Oddometer:
    kymco 125 agility. cheap to buy and own, reliable and fun. 55 mph no problem !!
  12. scudder

scudder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Buddy 125cc can hit 75 mph on the ol' Buddy meter...thats probably 65mph or so in real life. It can cruise at 55mph without much problem though. The Buddy really is a bad-ass little scoot! I have close to 5,000 miles on mine and never have had a problem....that's 5,000 hard, keep her wide open for 100 miles type of riding too!
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't want to be almost running wide open to "cruise" at 55 MPH. To me cruise means not straining.
  14. scottorious

scottorious n00b

Oddometer:
    What have people seen out of the kymco agility scooters. Decent quality? the scooters I own now are quality 80s Hondas which I have no doubts of them running for another 20 years. I see that Kymco scooters can be had for a pretty good price. and as long as they are halfway reliable and have parts available I think it seems like a good deal.
  15. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    any old yamaha 180 or 200 riva . Any honda elite 150 or 250. Then again any lod honda cb125 or cb 200 would work . Then again if its a motorcycle I would buy one of the honda 150cc cargo bike is mexico for 1500 new.
  16. cdwise

Oddometer:
    GPS verified on the Buddy 125 of crusing at 65 with a bit of throttle left. Flat ground at sea level on Hwy 3 between Houston and Galveston for the time it hit 72mph 76mph indicated). FWIW, it our runs the Vespa ET 4 150 we used to own both at the top end and how quickly it gets there. Personally if I was going to be crusing 65+ mph for hours at a time I'd take my GTS. Its a bit more grounded with the additional weight and maxes out at 82 GPS verified but before I got the GTS I'd go on group rides with 240-500cc scoots and had little trouble keeping up except in heavy crosswinds when it would slow down to a max of 55-60 but that was only with high crosswinds. I could maintain close to 65 with a head wind.

FWIW, being ridden for 4 years by a teenage boy the only repairs it needed was a replacement mirror where he cracked it banging into a brick wall when parking too close and the horn connection came lose so they had to open the plastic to plug it back in properly. Given the state of the streets - potholes, overfilled pot holes and general bad repair it's almost surprising that it hasn't needed some other repair besides general maintenance.
  17. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The agility 125 is made in china by Kimco in there own factory so it does not have the poor quality of other China scoots. It does not have as good of quality as the Jap makers but it is decent. For the money they are a good buy. With your 100lb gf on board it will do in the low 60 mph area by gps on flat ground. If she gets a real good running one it might even reach 68 mph or so. She could cruise at 55 with no problem. The bad is the tires give poor traction , the headlight is not very brite and the back brake is a little on the weak side. The speedo is very optomistic like 12 % or so. The odometer on them is in km not miles .They are reliable and if you do need something you can get parts pretty cheap if you know where to look. It is a gy6 design and maintenance is easy to do. Those that have had problems, it is ussually the electrical . some cdi's do go bad and there have been some who needed a rectifier. Both are inexpensive and for $50 you could have them as a spare under the seat if it worried you. I do not want to exagerate the problem though . The majority of owners have not had any problems.
  18. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    The Buddys are carberated, and they have a "redline" mark on the speedometer at 55mph. You don't want to cruise faster than 55, or you WILL blow up your engine. They're buzzy, only get 75mpg, and have teeny little wheels that make even the smallest grooves in the road or tiny potholes harrowing.

That said though, Buddys are good, solid bikes. My wife's has almost 14k miles on it and still runs like a bat out of hell. It's a blast to ride, much more flickable and nimble than my PCX or any other bike I've ridden. If you're stuck in the garage, just pick it up and turn it around (it's that light). There's a reason we've owned 3 Buddys, they're great scooters.

If you're going for economy first and foremost, look at the Buddy. You can't beat the low maintenance cost, cheap parts, and dirt-cheap initial costs. I like my PCX better because it's smoother and more well-built than the Buddy, but I'll NEVER recoup the $1000+ I would have saved from initial sticker cost through the better gas mileage my PCX gets. It's like driving a base-model Yaris vs driving a Camry. Both will get you there fine, and are mostly the same. But the Yaris on the highway shakes a bit, has less features, is smaller, and less comfortable. In this analogy though, the Camry gets better fuel economy. :lol3
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I've never heard that you WILL blow up your engine if you cruise faster than 55 on a Buddy 125cc. Mine has done been on many, many trips where I cruised between 60 & 65 for hours on end. I'm the original owner of a 2006 - first year of the 125cc and its got approx 9,000 miles on it. With me on it I was getting 85mpg and my son who when he started riding it to school as a daily commuter would get 90-95 mpg in heavy city traffic. Take a look at http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/genuine/buddy 125 for what people are getting since it ranges as high as 136mpg and as low as 70mpg with the largest number in the upper 80mpg. If your wife is getting in the mid 70mpg perhaps it is her riding style vs yours that accounts for the different mileage.

If you are considering the Buddy you may want to go lurk or post over on http://modernbuddy.com and don't forget to read the ride reports for the Buddys in the scooter cannonball this year if you want to see how they hold up crusing at WOT for 3,000 miles (give or take.)
  20. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i own one and ride the hell out of it all year round. its a solid well made bike. some say it says "cheap" from looking at it but if cared for it looks good and the plastics are durable, if basic. over 2 years and 13,000 miles and i have had not a single problem

i also have experience with a Buddy 150. it feels and rides smaller then the Agility, weighs around the same, and has quicker acceleration. however the Kymco 125 is no slouch and can match the Buddy in top speed. the biggest difference imo is the Bud is aesthetically more pleasing (better paint, finish, trim, etc) and its smaller. i must say at 6'2 from a "light" seating position i can flat foot the Buddy and nearly overwhelm it with my 230lb size. but that is not the case with the Agility as it feels "just right" for me in a small scooter

Buddy is a great, fun, flickable scooter. and reliable. and good for shorter riders. the Agility would not be good for shorter riders. its seat is wide, too

the Kymco is not Honda quality, of course. or Italian refined or Buddy "cute." the Buddy is a true "scooter's scooter." like a man's man but of scooters lol. the Kymco is a good practical scooter that for around $2,000 will be fun and last a bit. built well, its tough