Bikes with flaws you hate

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by southwade, Jan 17, 2012.

1. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    my bmw has them being a 1990 age but the 1970,s bmws had better switch set up
  2. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    I do like the emergency flasher feature available with the BMW "3 button" setup, the japanese "left/right/push to cancel" is ok, but jams up over time - doesn't always want to cancel, and you can't tell by looking at the switch if it's on or not. The /5 bmw switch was rotary, left=left/center=off/right=right. Very obvious what was what. Add a "pull for e-flasher" feature, and you've got everything!
  3. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever take an airbox of a XL600? :lol3 The trick is to the the tire and the shock off.
  4. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate how ugly these boxes are on most bikes.

[​IMG]
  5. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    Most bikes require a little movement to shift through all the gears. try to get into first before coming to a complete stop. If you happen to stop in second gear, slowly let out the clutch (might need to roll forwards a bit, too) while applying normal pressure to the gear lever, and I bet it pops right in.
  6. SwissFreek

SwissFreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This. 1000 times this. :clap

Yeah, so they mount a Brembo. Awesome. And then they put it upside down. I have to bleed mine about once a month, whether I ride it or not. I was really excited about replacing my Tuono with a the V4R version until I saw a picture of it and noticed the rear caliper was still upside down. Dealbreaker.
  7. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:
    My speedo isn't even close to correct and gets worse the faster i go. F650 99'
  8. betasigscoot

betasigscoot Palaverer

Oddometer:
    09 F650 Twin, Speedo is set intentionally low. Travelling at consistent speed, & resetting the average speed on the computer shows an 8% difference :huh. The computer is pretty dang close.

(side note: the ":huh" icon's eyes looks like the headlamps for a R1150gs)
  9. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    THe wiring was fine on my Monster 800 but I hated the immobilzer with all the microcircuits in the gauge cluster, read plenty of stories of people who had replaced several, you probably have a bad one rather than wiring problems. I was afraid to ride mine in the rain and when I did when I got home I took the cluster off the bike, opened it up, and put it in a sealed bag of rice (risotto of course ;-) to dry it out...this worked but was a total PITA...an incredibly bad design. Also despised the sloping seat but a new Sargent fixed that however was not cheap. Sold the Monster recently for various reasons but its inability to handle rain was a big one. Lots of threads on the gauge issues, one is at http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...-monster-620-burned-out-instrument-panel.html and has some photos...
  10. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fact that my motorcycle, and most motorcycles, are designed for a 150lb rider.... :huh
  11. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    Too fat or too thin? I'm the latter.

I wish the GSA was less fat, but I like the fuel capacity, especially on Sigh-10, gasoline should weigh less.
  12. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work out too much, 215lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist... It's even hard finding riding gear.
  13. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    or that most bikes (that i like) are made for someone with a 35" inseam.
  14. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Fucking hated them whizzy brakes on mah Beemer! :loco
  15. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have a 1984 Honda xr500. Great bike. Nice plastics. Terrible everything else. I loved that bike though

-Headlight mounting straps were to tight so when i hit a bump they would snap. (3 times)
    -Dual carbs were a b**** to get off, easy to clean, then a b**** to get back on.
    -Cam chains stretched really easily.
    -Pegs sat at a funny angle so riding for very long your feet started to cramp up.
    -Front brakes (Hydraulic disc) was fit for a 150 lb like so whenever i tried to stop that monster of a bike they'd heat up and boil the fluid out of the lines.
    AND THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF EVERY SINGLE USED BIKE

PREVIOUS OWNERS
    The jack*** thhat owned my xr before me rebuilt the bike in his garage.... Stripped 3 of the bolts holding the head down, 1 bolt holding the cylinder down and had the engine loosley tightened to the frame. At least pulling the engine out was easy for me :D
  16. davethegoat

davethegoat bahhh....bah...

Oddometer:
    crf450r.....Chain stretch. I've put three different chains on it and they all stretch within 2 hours of adjusting them. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except that the knobbies get chewed off the side of the tire.:ace I now have an o-ring chain and it does it too. I know it takes less than a minute to adjust it but I forgot to bring the torque wrench last ride out and had to call off the rest of the day's ride because of it...

Also, if you drop the dirt bike in the soft sugar sand, you will bend a radiator and it will start leaking. Ending your day early. I ended up buying the braces after the second time it happened(shame on me:D) Come on, though I shouldn't have to drop proof a dirt bike. Braces should come standard.

Not really a flaw but why can't bike manufacturers offer different frame sizes. Like mountain bikes do. I could order my mountain bike with my choice of 5 different frame sizes but if I want a dirt bike, I'm stuck with the one made for little guys. I'm 6'5" and lower pegs, higher bars and taller seat don't really cut it. imo. Call it the crf XL.
  17. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're running your chain way to tight... Move the swingarm up until all the pivots are in a line. The chain should be slightly loose there.

Non-oring chains stretch allot faster than o-ring specially if not well lubed.

Welcome to every dirt bike ever. You can either invest in the protection, not crash, or play factory rider and keep a trailer full of spares. The manufactures battle on weight, they aren't going to add weight like that.
  18. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Surging on the 2002 GS.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Having to move the rear shock on a BMW G/S to access the battery.

Just irritates me every time.
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    -Wheelbarrow handlebars on BMW's
    -Cam chain tentioners losing hydraulic pressure on KTM 950's (clakclakclak)
    -Boiling the fuel in traffic on a KTM Adventure (stall/let coolw/caps open)
    -Winking low oil pressure light on an LC8 after a spirited thrashing
    -Clutch pull of dry clutch Ducati's in traffic (jerkjerkjerk)
    -Seat on my KTM 690R (jeeeez)