CCM 450 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmmitch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. aviatorbdm

aviatorbdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it! Bring it!
  2. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to know more about this engine.
  3. whizzo

whizzo -

Oddometer:
    I'm not really worried about the engine if it really is a BMW (now used in Husqvarnas) item. I'm more worried about the price...
  4. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the specs for the Husky TE449, it has been upgraded to a 6-speed tranny, but all 4 valves are titanium which does not bode well for general longevity or reasonable adjustment intervals if the bike is going to ridden as a lightweight ADV tourer. I could not find specs for oil capacity. Given the TE449's "hard enduro" mission, I'm guessing less than 1.5 qts.

I look forward to seeing the specs for the CCM - there's certainly a lot of potential there.
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    We just made the last payment on our G. :clap
  7. Dual Personality

Dual Personality How many more days in life do we get to ride?

Oddometer:
    Is there really much chance we'd see a US version?
    So many promises over the years, only to find out it's another internet myth!

Have to wait and see - should we start a pool on this?:D
  8. tinbasher

tinbasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the solution lies with the redneck. Find a frame suspension combo you like and add a motor you can live with. Kind of the rat rod idea. I ride a 640 adventure I love, but don't love c.omplexity of motor services. Think a guy could slide a dr 650 in there or XR .. Just register as before no problemo. Just thinkink?
  9. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now it's Harley's fault the Jap Dual Sports are too heavy?:ear

Murf2
  10. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    This is CCM. They'll probably go bust (again) in the time it takes to ship a crate full of bikes across the Atlantic :rofl
  11. ZtoXS

ZtoXS I of the Strom

Oddometer:
    I have both 404 and 644 D/S CCM's and can't fault them. Have always considered changing the 644 up to adventure spec but getting the right bits to fit is an issue. This 450i could be the answer however there are a lot of questions that will only be answered once more detailed specs are released.:deal
    An adventure version will require (in my opinion) - wide ratio box, increased oil capacity and service intervals, greater fuel capacity than the trail versions 17 lts (up by say 7-8 Lts), comfortable seat and ride position, robust gear carrying capacity, a bit of rider weather protection and perhaps an enclosed chain just for the hell of it. Beware CCM - cost will make or break this bike.:deal

As for it being released in Canada and or the America's, well, with the interest shown on the likes of here, lets hope the companies involved are 'listening' to both the specs required and potential demand.
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    it would be interesting if a company like CCM did what KTM shoulda done so many years back with a 690 ADV.
  13. MORT666

MORT666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it makes a change from the usual manufactures.:D
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Harsh!

I have to say, there seems to be a lot of people here treating a 'six speed wide ratio gearbox' as some sort of holy grail?!

In 2008/09 I rode the then brand new and unproven 660 Tenere right across the US and back, including the Trans-Am Trail, the dunes in southern California, desert in New Mexico, forests in Oregon, snow in Colorado - the list is endless... all with a 5-speed gearbox, and never found it wanting.

We have to remember this is a 450cc Adventure bike - it's not a 1200cc all-terrain uber-cruiser in the mould of a GS... or to use a 4wd analogy - it is a trail-prepped Jeep Wranger, not a GMC Suburban.

The focus of producing a smaller lighter-weight Adventure bike, is that it will be more appropriate for off-highway riding, taking the back roads and having fun - even my WR450 on enduro gearing will cruise all day at 70mph - and most people (who travel overland by bike) will tell you that somewhere around 50mph is actually the sweet-spot - let's face it, if you are riding any faster than that, then you are not really taking in the surroundings you are meant to be exploring?!

Therefore, my only concern is not the engine performance as much as the potential longevity. The stock BMW 450X engine does have a small oil capacity, and due to it's unconventional architecture (the clutch being mounted on the crank shaft for example), means there might be longer-term issues with a bike worked really hard... I recall people cooking their clutches on the 450X, albeit those guys tended to be racing the Dakar x

On the whole though, the 450X is probably towards the 'stronger' end of the scale regarding reliability - remember BMW were confident enough to offer a 2-year warranty (albeit with conditions attached) at the time?

Personally (and as ZtoXS highlights above), I would have loved to see this bike with a Suzuki DRZ400 engine - as the old CCM 404DS had - but that is not going to happen as the supply of that engine has dried up, and will not meet current and new emmissions rules... Trying to find a 450cc donor engine that actually meet those criteria (or that the parent manufacturer is prepared to sell you) is seemingly impossible these days - CCM can only work with what is available.

I think speculating on how this bike is going to ride/perform is academic, until you've actually sat on one and more importantly ridden it. Let's hope they can get some pre-production bikes out to the press and potential customers soon!

Jx
    PeteDuke likes this.
  15. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Harsh, but not entirely unfair ;-)

And I entirely agree with the other bit - that bike with a DRZ lump in, awesome. With the BMW motor in... might be a laugh as a rally bike, but for big distance use?

But then CCM can only use what they can buy - and even if every manufacturer was prepared to sell to them, what actually is there in terms of 400-450, trail/dualsport motors out there?
  16. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 5 speed of the 660 IS pretty wide, compared to fx the drz.... or even the 6 speed ktm690 as I recall.

6 speed wide-ratio like the ktm exc's is just so much better than the narrowspeed bikes, and even the pretty wide-ratio 5 speeds. (IMO)
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    yup :puke1 :lol3

it was great fun and the perfect bike going there... but on the return trip it was no fun...

fuel range was not great even with the safari tank.

If hope they have significantly increased the fuel capacity of the CCM and installed a 6 speed...

like many have said.... what's a DRZ? "the constant search for 6th gear" - it does make a world of an addition
  18. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Love it

6th gear schimth gear; if this is RTW ready, I don't see many over-landers breaking 50mph anyway.

130kg dry, 40bhp, fully adjustable suspension. Nice.
  19. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do RTW riding, and I want this to have the golden wide ratio 6th gear. When I ride I get over 50 mph everyday. I don't think I've ever ridden through any country where I kept it under 50 mph.
  20. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive read and read on this bike and donor engine .. i dont live far on this planet from the ccm factory
    im not sure if this will be a full on long distance adventure bike ..but i hope im wrong
    any way a phonecall and a hours ride and im looking at the prototype bike

ive visited the ccm factory and looked at the prototype and seen a race bike under construction with the exact same frame tecnolagy ..
    my main riding is local or semi local weekend meets ..i usually do one big trip a year maby 4/5000 miles
    i currantly use a xt660 tenere and a klr 650 for the longer trips but desperatly need somthing lighter and more managable as i like to do some trail riding sometimes quite tough and the bigger bikes are a real handful im not a great offroad talent but ive done a lot of off roading and the big adventure bikes are too heavy ..the main cause of my falls ..not all of course but mostly
    i dont want to buy a pogo again i want to be able to ride to where im going ..trail the day after and ride back a typical weekend would be 500 miles maby 5/6 hours off road

i havnt got the full details as they are still in consideration

what i can tell you is
    the buid quality of the frame and cycle parts is really fab
    alloy frame and spine high quality ..glues at the headstock light and impressive
    swingarms are high quality with the ccm logo cut in ..foot pegs and cycle parts are high quality
    talon pegs .. wheels and centres are high qhality i dontb think there is a cush drive but the swingarm setup and torque converter may offset this for the road ?
    its the bmw sprocket swingarm set up
    gears im presuming 5 silly i know but i didnt ask
    fiinal drive i dont know im presuming 15/ somthing 45?? 47 ?? 70mph highway cruising is on the cards
    the constuction and cycle parts are very high quality
    dash is neat sat nav option fiished nice in carbon /lookalike facia ?
    bashplate looks very good and protective
    ive got a centre stand ordered its not done yet but will be a light alloy construction
    hand guards look acerbis alloy jobs ..may be wrong

the tank range is 18 litres 250 mile range auxilery tank under all new frame and subfra,me
    rear rack .. neat tidy a little small i think ..25kgms carrying capacity
    im pretty sure the racks and panniers are metal mule /optoional extra

exhaust is bespoke for ccm and a light alloy consruction it looks really neat

suspension is by the dutch guys from w/power who sold to ktm
    the electric preload is a optional extra
    forks are 47ml cartarge

oil capacity has been increased with a auxilery tank
    service interval ...this is interesting 7500 km 5000 miles ?? but i may be tempted to drop a couple of pil changes in

renthal bars billet hangars look s you would expect
    all cables are well lon enough for risers should you need them

ergos the peg seat arrangmet is very natural for my 6ft frame the fairing is neat with the small screen looking high enough to be effective
    the tank spits two pods one for fuel one false to gain easy access to the airbox the battery and elecrics an be accesses from the cover on the top of the spine and a re easy to get too
    the wiring is neat and prcise a lot of which is housed in the frame ..not rats nest hear neat tidy organised pecise
    waranty 1year

dry weight 125kgms

power output electrical .. i wouldnt plan for more than some oxford grips
    tyres optional i chose dunlop 606s are for starters
    front mudguard ..will be higher on the stock bike a high beak is optional if you want /or need it

price either 7995 or 7795 uk pounds

was i impressed by it ....its so much better than the pictures you and i have seen
    it could be quite special i think

maby overkill for my needs ..ive got a klr and tenere that weigh 200 kgms wet and chuck out 47 and 42 hp
    the ccm is going to be i dunno 140 kgms wet and 42 hp should be fun to ride

there remains the option of a 52bhp plug and ride but i imagine it would increase service strain and probably shhot me through awall ..but its a consideration some may want to expore
    do i have any doubts well hell yes but its such a nice bike so well thhought out and the engineering is
    great to look at

what did i do .....well i had to give it a go well thought out and impressive

i know what people are going to say about the service costs and such but im gonna find out but it sure looks like a great duel sport in the purest sense

one thig it will not be working anywhere near its remit with my ageing fat ass on it :lol3

please understand this info is in good faith but not official in anyway and is subject to any changes that ccm decide on later
    and the bike in the pictures is a prototype and not the finished aricle

wish me luck and ccm also :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]