The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Bugger!

Used to be on stuff when I was younger but I expect finance wasn't the preferred method then.

Thanks.
  2. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

From what I've read here, http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/new-bikes/2012/04/04/first-ride-triumph-explorer-1200/ & a couple other sites, there are only going to be 6,000 of the 2012 models produced. My guess is that they'll all be gone long before snow flies here in the USA.

As far as pricing is concerned I'd like to believe there are enough Triumph dealers that still believe in honesty & integrity that the few dealers that will try to make a fast "extra" buck or two will get beat out by the dealers that smart buyers like us will continue to do business with. That said, you may not see many discounted prices either, as this sounds like one of the most intriguing bikes to hit the market in years. The U.S. base list price of $15,699 doesn't sound too far out of line if the bike is half as good as the reviews sound...
  3. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a dealer in here SoCal that has a black launch edition on the floor. They're getting it prepped so that I can test ride it next weekend. They are also looking into pricing on a launch model in case I'm interested.

Rock on Saturday!
  4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those days are gone. Even bringing our own financing (USAA for instance) made our Jeep dealer whine like a little girl, cause they don't make anything on it...

I have a well oiled plan that works for me: I always start by doing the Internet research, I know what the list is and the invoice for the actual spec vehicle I'm going in to buy. I tell 'em up front, I'm here to buy this specific vehicle; though I usually know what the top competing product is too, and mention I'm trying to decide between the two....

I use simple math, on anything that's still selling for near sticker, I start my negotiations at 20% off, with the goal actually being 10% off list; by the time I add all the crap on after, if I get out the door (OTD) for about what it's listed at, I figure I did well enough. And they usually are still making enough to stay in business.

If the vehicle's been sitting (like my last VFR), then I ramp it up to 30% with the goal more like 20%, or whatever seems right to me; but I have it all planned out before I go in. My last Dodge truck I bought just before Chrysler went under in early '09, it had set on the lot for over 6 months. It was listed at $48k, I got it OTD for $36k...

I wait until after I'm done negotiating before I talk about how I'm buying the vehicle.

But, I'm a glutton for punishment, buying a vehicle for me is like an all day ordeal at the dealer (and sometimes more); I'm always willing to walk and go to another dealer, and usually have to get up to do so several times before I get what I want.

I also don't get mad at the sales person, they have no power, it's the "sales manager" (or whatever title they use), who approves all deals, the salesperson is just the go-between...

I just take my phone/tablet and play games, watch some Internet TV, read stuff on the Internet, etc. while I wait... I'll even bring snacks and soda along. Once they figure out I'm not late for a dinner date, it usually moves along.

But, that's just me; as always, your mileage may very.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe we will have one on the floor Friday night for our official Grand Opening weekend. :wings
  6. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I planned on... and wasn't far out when I rode off on the new bike :nod
  7. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I went to a dealer launch, and the guy was saying that about 3,600 of the 6,000 were already spoken for in terms of deposits. Of course, I have no idea if he was telling the truth.
  8. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2 local dealers i have visited have had only sold stock on the floor. Very popular model by the looks of it.
    Still haven't managed a test ride. Very remiss of me..
  9. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stopped thursday in the middle of a trip at a triumph dealer so my riding buddy could test a tiger 800 they didnt have one for him to try but they did have a 1200 i could demo i casually tried to work a deal with no real effort on their part to gain my business so we went on our way. saturday am i signed papers on a graphite tiger 1200 at another dealer they said i should have it mid may !
  10. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    You'll be impressed with it :evil
  11. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    oh i was impressed on the test ride thats why i bought it :):clap
  12. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    Best colour as well :raabia

[​IMG]
  13. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    has any one seen the factory triumph luggage in person i want to buy it but hate to without seeing build quality ?
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that it is virtually (perhaps exactly) identical to the T800 luggage.

- Mark
  15. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    I notice that the 5.99% Triumph Financing runs out April 30th and I doubt my bike will be here by then. Anyone know if it is going to be extended?
  16. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you mind sharing where you saw and rode one, Luke?

Thanks,
    Dave

17. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:

No prblem Dave it was at martin motorsports in pa but i woulddoubt it still there i was just lucky enough that it was the triumph reps bike and it happen to be there that day. dnt want to say anything bad about that dealer but i will tell you if you wanna deal on the bike go see john pockrus at hermys bmw and triumph dealer in PA. the guy has been around the car motorcycle indutry his whole lifehe loves this stuff and hes partially retired doing this to fill his time so he really works for you i was more then happy dealin with him. if you go see him tell him Luke from oneonta recommended him (no kick back or anything just lets him know i was happy with the way i was treated)
  18. element6

element6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and recommendation, Luke. If I didn't already have a commitment from the local dealer, I'd be looking seriously at them. 5 hours is a long drive for service, though.....

19. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    5 hours seems like a good reason to get away if i really need a service close there is a dealer in albany now, thats part of what drew me to triumph makes parts available to me
  20. bogman

bogman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First service in Dublin Saturday, rally in Abbeyleix Saturday night :beerjug:

[​IMG]

Any complaints....only one and its a minor one, find it top heavy compared to the 800XC, you got to be careful when stopped, especially when reversing out, and by the way the tyre pressure monitor really works, warning light came on yesterday on the way home, discovered a self tapping screw in the rear tyre and the pressure had dropped 10psi