BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:

Yeah, me :lol3 But no pictures yet as you'll be getting the new and improved setup
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sneeky Sneeky aren't we! lol! :wink:
  3. Cail

Cail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the GPR for the BMW 450?

[​IMG]
  4. Cail

Cail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Scotts on my YZ 250. I have always liked the Scotts better in the past as I liked to run it on a low setting on low speed and let the high speed dampening save me on the big hits.

The older GPRs seemed too stiff even in the lighter settings. This new one, "Version 4" is much better. It feels real similar to the Scotts. I tried it on a friends YZ 450 and it felt good on that bike too.

I usually run mine in setting number 3 with everything else stock.

Fitment was real good and I have over 1000 hard miles on it with no problems. It did raise the bar about a 1/2 inch and I had to reroute the clutch cable, but the directions included were good. I would say, though, in addition to their isnsturctions, that you remove the metal bracket the odometer moutns to and just mount the odometer directly to their spacer. The clutch cable was chaffing badly on the stock odo bracket.

I like it alot. When I bought it Scotts didn't have a mount yet. Is the Scott's mount an under or over bar mount?
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer:
    Apparently BMW factory team is already running adjustable drive pinions:

[​IMG]

Someone with the knowledge of German read this.

From this article looks like the centralized pinion was too much of a compromise (good for fast speeds bur poor for slow speed technical riding?). I.e. G450X proved to be excellent rallye bike (fast offroad) while suffered in slower more technical WEC.

Anyways, they say something about adjustable pinion prototype being tested on factory race bikes. The swingarm and pinion are no longer one part. Now you can adjust it's position according what conditions you're riding in. Basically adjusting the frame geometry.

And they say the later successes (podium spots) in the WEC came because of this design and other modifications?

Anyone can translate better?
  8. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As i read it.
    For romaniacs and erzberg the normal (as it was) is perfect.(normal conditions)
    For more high speed wec the new setupis better because of the extreem high speeds and extreem slow speeds and in combination of a "gevorderde=experienced rider.

but how do they do that, is there an extra countersproket?? there almost no room ther to go forward??
  9. Some Dude

Oddometer:
    It would appear they are moving the engine within the frame. It looks as though there is an offset bracket at the middle engine mount in the top of the above picture cut off at the edge of the picture,.........interesting. High speed is where I am really comfy on the bike, slow technical stuff is what is getting me on it, but now that it's sprung much better it's turning mucho better in the tight stuff.
  10. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anybody has more then 70 hours?
    and who did the 70 hours service according to the manual??

who says: f#ck it and just do oil/filter valve check...
  11. Some Dude

Oddometer:

Evidently no one in the USA as I inquired about one last week and not a single crank had been sold nor stocked in the USA,........go figure.

I'm just under 70 hours and at 60 hours I had to reshim both intake valves as they were both loose, but exhaust valves were just fine and I don't think I've adjusted exhaust valves at all yet.

Compression is still well within spec and I don't want to tackle a more thorough tear down until I know the bike can sit for a couple of weeks waiting on whatever parts it may or may not need.

My guess is the crank will be just fine for 150 hours, just not sure who's going to be the first to prove it. :lol3

I will say keep an eye on rear wheel bearings and a better eye on the main pivot tapered bearings for the swing arm. With being a tapered design you should be repacking the grease and torquing every 20-30 hours as I've found it to be loose more then once now. If it gets too loose the swing arm shaft will then make contact with the hollow output shaft and that's no good not to mention the waggling rear end feeling it will induce.
  12. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i folowrvice manual pretty close. so i grease it every 10 hours and pomp som egrease through. also i chekc a lot of bolts.... because the ahve the tendency to get loose on this bike.....

next week 50 hours check and then one week of enduro rally in Portugal.. thats 5-6 driving hours a day so i will bring a oilfliter and oil with mee, and airfilters offcours.
    After that we will see.
  13. WikdBeemer

WikdBeemer Older but still riding

Oddometer:
    Mine is at 113.4 hrs and I have only done the valve checks every 20 hrs - never had to adjust them and they're still well in spec, and of course I do the oil & filter changes every 10 hrs.
    The bike still goes like a rocket and I'm very happy
  14. WikdBeemer

WikdBeemer Older but still riding

Oddometer:
    Brommer you will need more than 1 oil filter kit for that much riding.
  15. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
  16. hannernanner

hannernanner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm at 85 hours, valves are spot on and haven't moved since original inspection at first service.
  17. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YEs for portugal i need 2 extra oilfilters indeed.

oke then no 70 hours for me.
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

• BMW1.jpg
      BMW1.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  19. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    next step... rear tank... yeah I have pictures too... but thats for next time...
  20. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    no comments.... wow....