Tire report: Mitas E-07's

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Drif10, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

If you still have one on your bike, don't use it, or fit a tube.
  2. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    I just received a big Manilla envelope with recall info from MX1 Canada.

They spent some time putting these packages together by hand. Very professional. :thumbup

Basically, contact MX1 to get the tire replaced.
    The same press release from Mitas is included. The only additional info is that 1752 tires were produced during that time frame, 448 were quarantined in the first day of the recall, and they have received 2 reports of "Sudden loss of air pressure".

"After testing, Mitas reccognised that there is a potential for sudden loss of air pressure and has taken pre-emptive action without delay to ensure drive safety."

"Mitas requests the motorcyclist not to ride on the tyres......."

"All reasonable cost related to the replacement of the tyres will be covered by Mitas."

I haven't contacted MX1 Canada yet, but so far I'm impressed with the speed and professionalism of both Mitas and MX1 Canada.
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I sent them an email earlier this week, and they were very prompt about replying. Haven't received the mailing yet, but their records showed the three tires that I had purchased and were eligible for replacement. Since I've cooked off two of those (gotta check, one might have been put on a friend's bike), gonna tell them to just replace the one I put on in December. Seems fair. :dunno
  4. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    :nod
  5. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    My replacement tire arrived today.

The letter from MX1 included this:

"Mitas has provided the following information with respect to the recall:
    These tires are very "insidious" because the problem could appear not immediately, but after some time period. One of the tests performed revealed a problem after 5000 miles of usage (without any symptoms before) and then another after 1000 miles. These tests revealed that the combination of quick braking and uneven road surface (such as a hole in the road) could cause sudden and quick loss of air from the tire which may result in accident and possible injury."

They asked nicely, so I cut the tire up and sent them a picture of it to prove it wasn't going to be a future concern for them:
    [​IMG]

And then I tried to figure out what was different about the new tire.
    Disclaimer: I ain't a tire engineer. Don't use this info to make a bad decision.

The bead of the old tire:
    [​IMG]
    Not all of the nubs have that circular void around them, but every other line intersection has a nub.

The new tire:
    [​IMG]
    The nubs are all gone.
  6. Bocosb

Bocosb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone runs these on a vstrom?
  7. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking about mounting these on my Tiger 955i, but no response from MX1 to my questions. Welcome reviews from users - mileage, on-road experience, off-road experience, noise, vibrations, etc. Did you pay a penalty to have them shipped into the US?

TIA
  8. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    is there a US importer yet? having to pay $50 for shipping kind if negates the economical advantage these might have over TKC, K60 etc
  9. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks Forseti....:clap..... just what i wanted to know. I spoke with MX1 on Thursday and felt reassured that these tires would be a good choice for my style of riding.... and that MX1 would be good to deal with. Still no US importer to my knowledge.
  10. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am running a Mitas e-07 Dakar rear and an e-10 Dakar front on my 2012 v_strom 650.

I took them on a five week 7000 mile western USA tour running a fair bit of dirt roads (1000 miles ?), lots of twisties and about 2000 mi of interstate. I've got about 8000 miles on them now and will likely get to 10,000 miles.

They do great in the dirt and mud, I don't push it on the road, but they handle just fine an little bit of vibes can be felt on super low speed corners. The e-10's were very effected by rain groove when new, but now that's vanished. They do quite well on anything but interstate where the seem to eat a little fuel and I had a bit of a wobble when going over 90 mph, but was not sure it was the tires.

It's a very good setup for the v-strom.
  11. OneZero

OneZero TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer:
    mx1canada.com just got the e-07 back in stock in GS sizes. Just ordered a set and can't wait to try them out!
  12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    and once again, whats the cost shipped to the USA?

just looked it up, slightly under $200 ( us) for a non Dakar, and slightly over $200 for a Dakar ( one more ply tire)

that is for a 150 70 17 rear tire ( GS size)
  13. OneZero

OneZero TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer:
    I paid a grand total of $294 shipped for the set. I've been wanting to try these out for a while and they're still cheaper than any TKC, K60, or Karoo quote from my local dealers

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  14. Drif10

Oddometer:
    A follow up to the Dakar model tires for my 07 GSA:

These aren't lasting as long as my regular version E-07's. Where I was getting 18 to 20k kms with the regular version, I'm at the wear bars now on the rear at just under 15kms.

I tend to wear them out as a set, as I'm pretty dominant on the front end, the Dakar front looks to have the same lifespan as the previous non-Dakar version. Since it has (to me) a much better set when braking hard (it deflects or 'squirms out' less), I think I'm going to stay with the Dakar front.

The rear? I'm going back to the regular model one, that seemed to work best for me.

In terms of offroad performance, these things have worked out really well. After a day of pedal biking with the family, the following day I was going dirt biking with some buddies. I walked out to the garage that morning, looked at the seat of the 350, and said to hell with that. Yanked the boxes off the big bike, and rode that instead. The tires stayed under the bike in spite of some pretty gnarly trails with lots of loose rocks and climbs. That'll do.

Just spoke with mx1canada, they're unloading another seacan of tires as I write this. Get them while you can, they've been going fast. :D
  15. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

run them both on a GSA? this is an excellent opportunity for me to pick your brain since I'm been considering these tires.

anything else you want to add to the overall comparison you think might be relevant? surprising about the mileage... but anything else? ride, handling, loaded, unloaded, wet, whatever...

tia. :freaky
  16. Drif10

Oddometer:
    What else to add....

I can drag pegs.

I can run serious offroad.

I can 2up tour.

I get more miles than any other tire.

I get them cheaper than all but Shinkos.

That'll do, donkey.

They are noisier.

:dunno
  17. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    So, these e07's are as square as they look from pictures and video clips?

Do they round like a normal tire or flatten out with mileage?

I'm wanting a set for my 06 Tiger for exploring northern Georgia, but we ride to get to everywhere, the Cherohala Skyway, the Dragon, etc.

I want good performance on road too, as a I like a spirited ride, to chase down full leather wearing folks :D

Please make me feel better about on road performance, I'm pretty sure these tires kick in the dirt from their looks and their reviews.

Thanks to all who have ridden with them!
  18. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

actually... I was just wondering if there were any other differences in character you noted between the Dakar and non-Dakar rears. (besides mileage/wear as you mentioned)

:dunno :evil
  19. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Only thing was the front tire under hard braking, as I mentioned. That's why I'd take a Dakar front, mileage for the regular rear. Grip seems the same.

Forgot to mention wet performance. They stick as well as anything, and much better than K60's or TKC's. In heavy rain, MUCH better! Deep lugs mean much less hydroplaning.. Shit, hasn't broke contact once, even when in a frog strangler, come to think of it.

In dry, over-rode it once on Cherohola, chasing a K12s and a CBR1rr. Really moving, full luggage. Front lock slide until it hooked again. Might have been sand, only time it ever went south on me. But it came back. :D

Please keep in mind: my tire wear patterns are not common, seeing as I normally wear out the front before the rear on any tire set. Only the Dakar rear has worn out before the front in my last 20 tire sets. For reference, I get between 10&12k kms/set out of TKCs, the front is toasted, and the rear has a couple of k left in it.
  20. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Naw, they've got a good shape, aspect in the pics may be not flattering that way.

I can drag pegs on an 07gsa, so I'd say that should be enough grip, no? These ain't Pilot Power C2s, they squirm more because of the deep lug. If your thing is squid killing and road blasting, get the Michelins, you'll be happier.