Winter sanity ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by bk brkr baker, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been too cold to enjoy riding here for a solid month.

Then this weekend tah-dah! Warmerish

We loaded and hauled to Burnside.

[​IMG]

Then we hauled hiney for Pine Mt. State Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> YE.onDOMReady(function() { var lightBoxCommentsviewOptions = { widgetID: 'lightBoxComments', loggedIn: true, loggedInToFacebook: false, facebookConnectAPIKey: '7528d1bb7f7a685bc080054d9bc154d2', commentsPerPage: 6, albumID: '15657112', albumKey: 'ekm9x', community: '', localImagesURL: 'https://cdn.smugmug.com/img/', preFilledEmail: 'kbaker2155@aol.com' }; var lightBoxCommentscommentsView = new SM.Comments.View(lightBoxCommentsviewOptions); });</SCRIPT>
  2. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's it? I guess that is all it takes when you don't have the weather to enjoy much riding. Great Ride Report! :D
  3. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:

Not quite all.

[​IMG]

We wandered over to Williamsburg to look for a road a friend had told Road Ranga about, Muddy Creek Gap Road. But even with maps and GPS the road wasn't located.
    But this road was intresting and went from asphalt to gravel to mud.

[​IMG]

The muddy road let us out on a paved two laner but as we continued east the pavement deteriated and the disappeared. This high spot overlooked a coal mine.

[​IMG]

We made it to Pine Mt. State Park Lodge and hit the lunch buffet . Not a bad veiw with lunch either.

[​IMG]

Stuffed with lunch ,we headed back toward the truck. This time we found Muddy Creek Gap Road. A few years ago this would have been all gravel , now it wears a thin coat of blacktop but , gravel and mud show through in plenty of spots.

[​IMG]

I ran my Go-Pro and got a decent vid of Muddy Creek and the roads west of Williamsburg almost to Cumberland Falls til the memory card filled up. This pic is in the parking for the falls, we were short on daylight so skipped the falls this time. We made it to the truck in time to load up in the twilight.
    Good times.
  4. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great ride and was very happy to get out. :thumb
  5. RoadRanja

RoadRanja End of State Maintenance

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm. No! I am not peeing on that barrel in the 3rd picture.But I did shortlly after this picture was taken.Wish we had more scenery pictures. Too busy riding I guess. Can't wait to see Go-Pro movies.
  6. Go-4-It

Go-4-It Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the pictures! We'll have to get together, I'm down that a way from time to time. It is true that more & more of the roads are getting paved. Thats just not right.
  7. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

O.K. two weeks later, more treatment for the long time winter blues.

There's 4 of us this time ,Steveie on his 705 KLR needed to ride. Yeah, let's ride!

We hauled them down to Monticello in the A.M. and left the trucks near this storage facility. Ump called and got permission, one less thing to worry about.

We headed south toward Tennessee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ump and I stopped to check out some mules.

[​IMG]

Farther on we entered the D.Boone Forest.

[​IMG]

We stopped to Pow-Wow
    [​IMG]

Stevies cold weather gear includes "ass-less chaps" WTF?

[​IMG]
  8. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    It was well after noon ,so we decided to go into Tn. to find lunch.

[​IMG]

It's always a good bet there'll be good food at a place that offers Horse Dentistry.:D

[​IMG]

And the burgers were pretty good and we got some fresh cut from a potatoe fries. At the end of the meal the cook brought out a fresh cut pineapple. Bonous!
    [​IMG]

Fine decor too.
  9. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    After the meal we went down to the Cumberland Valley Trailhead. The surface was sand ,rock and gravel. We had to kill the bikes to keep from spooking some horses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on to the end where we made a .2 mile hike to the White Oak Creek overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back to the bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We went east to the Big South Fork.

[​IMG]

Then we turned north ,it's getting late.

[​IMG]

We got off on some gravel and stopped at Split Arch.

[​IMG]

Back on pavement we ran beside this train for a way.

[​IMG]

Right as we were going to cross the tracks, the train cut us off. We're back in Ky.

We flogged them pretty good the last thirty miles back to the trucks. Then it was Jim Beam time for the non-drivers.:1drink
  11. Sportakus

Sportakus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks friend for show us this greats pics...

Bye.... see you soon... on the track...
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Spring's in the air here too!! Looks like a good day for 2 wheeled therapy :thumb
  13. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    First of all thanks to Sportakus and Gadget Boy for the replys .

This is a short one about the third Sanity ride, 2-19-11.
    I had my bike loaded Sat. night and drove up to meet Road Ranja and Steveie Sun. morning.
    On the way I noted my neighbor needs to salt her cows. They're licking up road salt beside the road by sticking their heads under the fence.

[​IMG]

I reloaded my bike onto the trailer and we went east on I-64 and down the Mountain Parkway through Campton and unloaded near VanCleve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather this time wasn't as nice as the last two rides. The temp was in the 40's with occaisional sprinkles. A little more than occaisional really.

[​IMG]

I passed this swinging bridge and went back for a pic.

[​IMG]

This is what happens if you get behind on the maintinance on your swinging bridge.

[​IMG]

Then we went searching for the way to Decoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, the short story is we never got to Decoy.

We hung out waiting for a break in the rain in Big Lovely Cemetery, the cemetery so nice they named it twice.

[​IMG]
  14. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I missed a good ride. Thanks for the call, maybe I can make the next one.
  15. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    Center-stand , It was an O.K. day , you know there's a lot of places to get in and out of up there. We barely scratched the surface. I want to go back for an overnighter and look around some more.

[​IMG]

The cemetary has a permanent pavillion for services, It's a perfect place to check the map and have a snack while we waited out the rain.

[​IMG]

If you have go to the eternal rest , this place looks as good as anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RoadRanja needed to layer up . Stevie acts as valet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all the pics I took. We left Big Lovley and rode into Salyersville for a meal in the drizzle. The temps had dropped during the ride, one bank thermometer read 39. While we ate the sun came out and the temps moderated for the ride back to the truck.
  16. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun.
  17. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    Winters here again, time to ride !

I couldn't shake anyone out for these two so , I went solo.

[​IMG]

Dec. 31 , I headed to Smithfield to get a photo tag for the Central Ky. photo thread.
    I was thinking about a hot drink and piece of pie. Denied, closed for the holidays.

[​IMG]

So , I turned and flogged the bike 80 miles to the next shot so I could move the tag. Again denied , because The Voo-Doo Child beat me to it and posted while I was still on the road. No big though, I was out for a ride and had it. And my KLR turned over past 48,000 miles.
    I got home 15 minutes after dark.
    Happy New Year !!!

And now for a ride on 1-1-12.
    Again no other takers.

[​IMG]

I headed toward Midway for lunch and stopped here on Pisgah Pike for a break. There were a bunch of nuts under this Shellbark so, I picked up some for Keith who stratifies them and will start them in the spring.

[​IMG]

I had fish and chips washed down with a couple of Bloody Marys, to ward off the cold, you know. The reasturant is the Grey Goose, good food and drinks, owned by another Keith ,I know.

[​IMG]

There's a cold front moving in and the temps are dropping so, I head back to Jessamine County to take the hickory nuts to the first Keith.

Enjoy some Kentucky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooklyn Bridge on U.S. 68 at the Ky. River.

[​IMG]

68 used to run through this tunnel to a bridge that fell in , in the 50's.

[​IMG]

The large stones were the footer for the old bridge.

[​IMG]

I left the river and got on 1268 across the county.This stone bridge is over Jessamine Creek.

[​IMG]

I spotted this SWEET Cadilac Fleetwood Limo on 1268. Pretty good shape, with a little love and a wheelbarrow full of cash it could be a dream ride. For you.

[​IMG]

This is above Indian Falls. This property was bought up and fenced off because it was a popular place to party. Then with alcahol fueled decision making partiers ended up busted up on the rocks below.

[​IMG]

Down the road the new pave ends and the road goes through a creek . Not this.

[​IMG]

This.

[​IMG]

I made it to Keith's place and was mobbed by puppies and chickens.

[​IMG]

And sheep. Icelandic Sheep. Hardy , good wool and tasty to boot.

[​IMG]

That's about it for this one. I hung out with Keith after giving over the hickory nuts til near dark then, scatted homeward.
    Not a bad way to end one year and start a new one.
  18. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Great NYD ride report. I plan to ride down to High Bridge soon. Missed it on my last bluegrass loop.
  19. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was only there a short while Saturday and got pics of trains crossing the bridge from both directions.

[​IMG]

From the south.
    [​IMG]

Then from the north.
    The park is a nice place for a picnic as well.
  20. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A different sort of winter ride was hopping in my '84 Maxi Van and driving east to Richmond, Va. to pick up all of Thumpism's XV 920 stuff.When I got tired of driving Saturday night I pulled off I-64 and headed to Shenendo Lake state park to sleep. I was up before the sun cleared the trees, fixed a little breakfast and drove on to Richmond.
    We loaded the bike and two spare motors and I saw it was a van full.As I had planned to camp in the van and ride to D.C and Delaware on my KLR, I could tell a change of plans was needed. So I explained my situation and asked if I could leave the van there and finish loading after my mini- tour.
    Thumpism and wife agreed it was O.K. so , we off-loaded the KLR and both headed out of Richmond. Thumpism led the way on his Pacific Coast. We stopped by Velocity bike shop, of course being Sunday they were closed , so we window shopped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting clear of town we switched bikes and I got to experience the Pacific Coast. Thumpism said my KLR was "more agricultural " than he remembered them being,:D

I rode on up 301 to Dalgren and crossed into Maryland. Maryland was a new state on my lifelist. Yea.

I went into city thinking it might be O.K. It's Sunday evening so, how bad could it be ? In a word , brutal. I had a mini van enter the highway as I was getting on a bridge and already had a car on my left. No hessitation on their part, they came into my space and I nailed it and cut in front of the other car.
    It really didn't get better I pulled in and got this shot near the Washington Monument then crossed the 66 bridge to Arlington. I got a room and caught the Metro into the Smithsonian Station Monday morning.