Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. cornercarver

cornercarver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hang my full suspension tandem off that very stand all the time with no trouble whatsoever. Those tubes look flimsy in the picture, but they are 1.5"-2" aluminum tubes. The stand is rock solid, has tons of height adjustment, and can rotate the bike 360 degrees vertically or horizontally without removing the bike from the clamp. Mine also has the world's cheesiest truing stand attachment on the top. It doesn't center the wheel at all so you couldn't build a wheel on it, but it works fine for fixing minor out-of-true conditions on a wheel. I also make great use of the toolbox that attaches to the stand to hold any parts and tools that are in frequent use while I am working. I prefer it over a Park stand, even the shop quality ones, although if I was swapping bikes out all day, I'd probably prefer the park quick release clamp mechanism.

--sam
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

That's a pretty nice list. Personally, I'd skip the BP/HR and put something else on (unless they're freakishly abnormal). Does it have your wife's name on it (or just the #)?

Also, I'd put a contact called "Emergency Contact" in your phone (rather than ICE). Some (many) providers don't know about ICE.

I work as an EMT, btw.
  3. Sandstuck

Sandstuck Banned

Oddometer:
    East of the mighty shit-spigot(Mississippi River)
    You really need to list your drug allergies and chronic diseases, such as Diabetes, Hemophilia, Asthma and the like.:deal
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I've got the same disease! :bluduh

That's why the new mtn bike is gonna be all XTR. :thumb

M
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna disagree on the clamp thing. I LOVE that Park clamp. :nod

I bought the PBS G3 somethingoranother work stand last nite. Looks almost like Ultimate made it for em... :scratch Haven't gotten it outta the box yet. but the one on the floor I've played with swayed me. :nod Seems like a quality piece of gear. As an added bonus, it folds down so you can take it to races. :thumb

M
  6. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    You bought the Spin Doctor Pro G3???? Let me know what you think of it after you use it for a while.

I did a short ride for you guys, but I did 20 miles in 1:10 and was going for more, but just about got hit by a an old lady that was probably headed to church. She didn't look and never saw me. I decided it was better to come home and do something else. I am just about ready to buy one of the CO2 air blaster horns to mount on my bicycles. And no I don't live in a big city and no, we don't have any bike trails.
  7. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Did my first 100 mile weekend this weekend (if you count Friday as part of a long weekend :D) and I am pooped.

Enjoyed (most of) it but now I am having big issues with sensitivity in a special place :lol3

What's the answer to soreness ? I see special creams in the local shop but I'm not sure how well they work. Would some better shorts do the trick, new seat ?

Any tips/brands/techniques would be most welcome :thumb
  8. Flaco

Flaco Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer:
    assos chamois cream works

good shorts are also recommended

Flaco
  9. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Thanks Flaco. I'll look for that cream.

Can you define 'good shorts' :ear Is it more padding/a type of padding or ??
  10. ThomD

ThomD Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    Saddle time is the answer to getting use to being on the bike.

Make sure your saddle is straight, maybe try a different saddle.

-t
  11. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    Pearl Izumi shorts are what I have found are much better than two of the others that I have. If I am going to do any riding for an hour or longer they will definitely be the shorts I will wear.
  12. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    I've had good comfort from my Pearl Izumi microsensors with 3D pad (insert).

The Assos is nice but expensive, and it's got a cold burning menthol feeling when you first put it on (like Gold Bond powder does), but it goes away after 5 minutes, and it's more of a anti rash/bacterial then a lubricant.

I've recently been using the Chamois Butt-r and it's great, super smooth too.

PS -more saddle time equals less saddle soreness, gotta develop the tolerance is all.
  13. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a Butt'r household. The lubes/butters are primarily just that - lube. As you pedal for a zillion strokes, you're rubbing skin on skin in those delicate spots.
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Noxema
    Bag Balm
    Udder Balm
    etc

All eliminate chafing, etc. Soreness usually means that something don't fit right.

Sitting there toodling = lots of weight on the seat... Even I get sore iffen I'm just oozing. :nod

M
  15. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    I have none.

What is the medical abbreviation for "no known allergies?"
  16. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    After 40,000+ miles on bicycles between 1992 and now, I've been wearing two pair of shorts on bike rides for double the padding since 1996.

Nothing is more important than the comfort of my toosh, on or off the bike, I want to be like Lance but not that way (sans balls).

Assos were once my fav. shorts and I still have a few pairs of them. nowadays I just wear whatever shorts I have available, but always two pairs. I prefer bibs over regular shorts for the lack of compression around the waist.

I find baby poweder work better than cream, don't get that wet feeling in the crotch as you ride.
  17. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cat for the great tip. I have a couple pairs of shorts and some baby powder so, being frugal, I may try that first before splashing out on some new gear.
  18. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

Damn, with 2 pairs of shorts and powder, your crotch must be like a cream cheese factory:huh

I think I f I wore 2 pairs of shorts I'd die of heat exhaustion through my ass:huh

:D
  19. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    Took last week off, needed to be away from work. Pedaled every day! Got my older giant cadex 980c rolling again, forgot what a nice ride that was. Stopped in my LBS because I needed tubes. Decided to look into new jersey and shorts. Young dude helping me ( with plates and screws holding his clavical together) tells me - we have our '06 team gear on sale -"you can help support you local shop". I says ok and get jersey, shorts and socks as a package deal. Get up early on Saturday looking to get a ride in prior to traffic. I ask S.O. if she wanted to ride. Might as well:eek1 , well neato !
    Most enjoyable ride ever, even if it was only 10-12 miles. I let her lead as there was no wind and she could ride her own pace. Passed her near the end and she giggled . What's up I ask. I'll tell you once we get home she replies.

We get home I say what was the giggling for ? She had a one word answer "buttcrack".
    Turns out the white section on the rear of the shorts is quite see through:huh . Dammit dammit dammit. This is the 2nd time and last I wore them.

merc - rear end pain usually seat related. Are you still running the seat that came with it ?
  20. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Zippy - yes. Coincedentally, the seat arrived with a small cut in it (bought my bike from bikesdirect) and after a couple email exchanges they sent me a new seat (great customer service BTW) so I was thinking I might try that. The seat that came with the bike has a more pleather finish to it and the seat they sent me as a replacment has more of a fabric finish to it - I am wondering if it might be better with regards to sweat dispersion... I will swap them out tonight and try it.