Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the trackmaster.
    Dunlop 756 on the front.
    I air up to 20-25 unless I'm in nasty mud though. It helps the spongy feeling of a MX tire.
  2. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:

:nod
  3. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I have TM2's, on my DRZ. I used to ride 50 ish miles round trip to get to where we would ride. I felt they wore down quicker than I would have liked, but did do well enough in the sand...the front not as well. That is when I went to the Pirelli XCMH's I am on now.

The spongy feel is what we have to have for the sand.
  4. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    We got Travis to re-do the suspensions of our two WR's. For those of you who are wondering if it is worth itÂ…It is. Go-Race suspension for the WR makes a HUGE difference on and off road. :clap:clap:clap

I made the decision after struggling on very steep and rocky terrain and blowing front fork seals on three different week long trips. September of last year I also tested my riding's partner KTM. I then started reading on the web about what to do. Go-Race is not going to convert the WR into a KTM enduro or MX racer, but it does allow the bike to handle with much less strain and less effort on any condition, but especially when it gets rough, taking for riding to the next level. Needless to say, the KYB seals are great too and so far, no leaks.

Here they are doing Lockhart Basin and Elephant Hill in Utah a couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. Always like to see action shots!
  6. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone having "exposure" problems i.e. puntures, breaks, ruptures in their aftermarket tanks?
    I really like the IMS 4.7 gal. but, I've only seen one mounted. It sure looks like that tank would be compromised on a fall-over, not to mention a GOOD fall-over.:eek1 I'll part with the $400-500 but kinda scared of bustin it. Sure do like the idea of 200-300 mile ranges though!:clap
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    The plastic tanks are much more durable than the steel ones.

When I had a KLR 650, the going suggestion was to get an IMS 6.6 gallon tank, because it was so tough that the tank shrouds would protect the radiator in a crash. Thus, by buying the tank, you did not need to buy radiator guards.

I've biffed more times than I can count on the old KLR w/ IMS and on my previous WR w / IMS. Scratches aplenty, but never any leakage.
  8. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    I had an acerbis 6.3 gallon tank on my last bike and I bought it well used. There were several deep gouges in it and I fell a few times doing up to 40 mph on some hard packed large gravel and it just adds more scratches. I never put anything larger than the previous owner had. I would think it would take a good fall on a really pointy object at the perfect angle to bust one open. Or maybe a car wreck.
  9. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the thread pitch and size for the oil drain bolt? Lost mine going down the road this afternoon, out of spares, hopin the local shops have one in stock but given their previous record I'm not holding out hope. Motor is fine i think given the nice pool of oil tgat spewed out when i stopped.
  10. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    12mm/1.5 20mm long

John

11. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny that you posted today, I was about to ask a similar question. I dumped and added some character marks to mine yesterday. Glad to hear that they are so durable. A good portion of the cost is probably the diaphram pumps that suck fuel out of the wings. A replacement tank only might be less expensive from IMS than the full blown kit.
  12. Fitty

Fitty Shopping cart rider

Oddometer:
    I noticed in Autozone the other day that they had a pretty good selection of drain plugs. You might check there if other sources fail.
  13. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    311 miles yesterday, all but 96 on dirt.

[​IMG]
  14. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Oops...[​IMG]

One with the bike.
  15. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Got a new drain plug and washer this morning, also finally changed the gaskets on the oil filter cover. So far so good, still runs smooth and no new noises... think i dodged a bullet with this one...
  16. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    I always put a little bit of loctite thread sealant on every time I take any drain plugs out. Basically just a paste form of Teflon tape and I have never had a problem with leaks or fallouts.
  17. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
  18. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Yamabond #4. Good stuff, Maynard. :deal

p.s. Duc plugs don't fall out.........[​IMG].

HF :thumbup
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. EZman671

EZman671 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TW200 has a similar oil flow check bolt.