KTM forks on your Airhead! Group Buy Two

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by HPMGuy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Group Buy Number Two for the R-Dubb designed triple clamps that will mount KTM 50mm Extremes, 4860's, or 43mm forks to your Airhead BMW.

Many have expressed interest in another run of these triples, so I am starting a list to see if we can get enough to do a second run. A lot of info can be found about this setup here on the previous group buy thread.

Pricing will remain the same as the last run, $536 for the Upper and Lower Triples, New Stem pressed in place, Stem Top bolt/washer and hardware.

I will PM everyone on the list to confirm interest, and then chart it here so we can see where we stand.

Also, there has been some interest expressed in a lower triple with a greater depth to properly grip the 4860's that come on the 950/990 Adventure Bikes. If anyone else is interested in this, join in as well. If we can get a few takers the cost should be close to the same as the regular setups.

Thanks!
    Guy
  2. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    in, 4860
  3. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I have an interesting question ... but I have some DRZ400 forks (49mm) and was curious of the design for these triples. I was wondering if your offset was the BMW standard offset (20mm? 30mm?)?

I was also thinking that 49mm would be close enough to 50mm to work? Thoughts?

The DRZ400 triple is nice and beefy, but the offset is ~15mm (guess) and I am unable to make tight turns. Thanks in advance ....

Fred
  4. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like 38, based on the drawing in another thread.
  5. mendoje

mendoje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, I've been waiting for this thread to start. I'm still in!

One (1) set, for 50mm Extremes, black, including stem and nut, and hardware.

If others are also interested in a group buy for a Sub Mount and Tower Pin bracket for a Scotts damper, I'm also in!

Thanks Guy!
    Jeff
  6. mendoje

mendoje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm doing the same thing, I've also got some 49mm DRZ400S forks. Here are my thoughts, post # 141:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696019&page=10

Jeff

7. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I am interested in the trees for using the WP front end off the KTM 950/990 on my airhead GS, with the extra depth (drop) in the lower tree.

These triple clamps will be compatible with a Scott's steering dampener set up too, correct? I'll have to start getting some money together for one of those:wink:.

The last run of HPMGuy's triples based on R-Dubb's design came out just beautifully from the pics I've seen, and the feedback from the lucky buyers. I look forward to seeing them in person.

Good News !
    -Chadley
  8. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    If this is the drawing .... I'm in. I'm pretty sure I can make these work with the DRZ forks (thanks mendoje!), and get another 10 degrees of turn on each side. It does say the offest is 38mm (Thanks Anton!).

I'm in for the 50mm triples.

PS - The diameter of the fork mount is 50mm, correct? I do not see an explicit radius or diameter mentioned. On the left fork mount I do see a radial arrow (bold) that does not have a numerical label.

[​IMG]
  9. OZbeemer

OZbeemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since it seems that the cartridge group buy is not going to happen I feel that this is the next best option. I will be in for one as well. I will have to do some research for the project. Am I correct that I will need a full KTM front end? forks, wheel, brake set-up? I have yet to go through all of SOLO LOBO's and Airhead Wranglers write-ups. If anyone has the time I could use a little clarifying of the full set-up.

Thanks
    OZbeemer
  10. hoss18

hoss18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im also waiting to see if the cartridge deal comes off - so far it doesnt look good. Can you put me down for a set of these just in case. Thanks
  11. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've an '81 G/S in serious need of front end help. I'm not sure of the process here, but I'll pony up for a set of triples, as well.
  12. OZbeemer

Oddometer:
    How many do we need to make this worthwhile. I am just wondering about how likely this buy is. With the cartridge deal seemingly falling through, I would like to be able to focus on collecting the parts that I need to do this conversion.
    Thanks
  13. OZbeemer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  14. hoss18

hoss18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump de di bump bump:ear
  15. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for going AWOL, the shops been going crazy lately leaving me no time for additional projects. Hopefully things will cool of shortly and I can get back to work on this. I'll keep you posted.

For those that are waiting for a set of the triples for the 4860 forks, I have one complete set left that has been unclaimed from the last buy. PM me if interested.
  16. mendoje

mendoje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. Cdubs

Cdubs made for adventure

Oddometer:
    Is this group buy going through? How many do we need to get it going? Sending PM as well.
  18. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought that the DRZ bottom triple is a gull wing design. On the DRZ, the sliders come within about 10mm of the bottom clamp when bottomed out, so the bottom clamp would need to be a gull wing type unless the bottom clamp sits higher in comparison to the DRZ bottom clamp. ( I have DRZ forks on my DR 650 and have looked at them for my airhead) They are a good fork. I think they would work well but some careful measuring / calculating would be needed with a non gull wing clamp.
  19. Castironmeyer

Castironmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put me down for a set.
  20. Ras Thurlo

Ras Thurlo Desert Lion

Oddometer:
    is this group buy still open?

If so, I am in....