2 kinds of riders

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by alansz400, Dec 30, 2012.

1. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I am sure you have all heard it there are two kinds of riders, those that have crashed and those that will crash. Well on August 21 I joined the ones that have crashed club. It was a nice summer day I got off work at 3 pm came home put my gear on and desided to go for a ride. The plan was to ride to the Honda dealer and check out the new CRF250l for my son. I try to ride as much gravel as I can so that was the plan, ride to the dealer but find as much gravel as I could on the way. I was only about 15 miles from my house but found some roads that I had never rode before. I came around a corner and the road sraightened out for a few 100 feet before the next corner. I wasnt going very fast but when I came around the corner there was a ford F350 coming the other way. I turned towards the ditch to miss the truck but didn't make it. My left leg took the full hit from his front bumper. I flew over the hood and landed on my back on the side of the road. I layed there for a few secounds and looked myself over everything looked good it seemed my gear did a good job. I took my helmet off and then I got the strangest pain I have ever felt in my leg. It was almost a sick feeling pain. I grabed my knee to try and move my leg but my foot didn't move. Crap this can't be good. The guy that was in the truck called 911. There was a lifeflight that was in the area that took me to OSU hospital. I was there 7 days. 4 months later I still have alot of pain but can walk around the house without my cane. Hope to return to work at the end of Jan. I will let the picture tell the rest of the story.

Xray of my leg.
    [​IMG]

The poor WR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glad I had this and the rest of my gear on.
    [​IMG]

Truck and amish watching the life flight take off.
    [​IMG]

Truck was coming this way.
    [​IMG]

I was coming this way.
    [​IMG]

They carried me to the truck in the feild then drove across the feild to the life flight. Rough ride.
    [​IMG]

Thats the short of it. I will update this thread as I think of new stuff. I did have full covarage ins. on the WR and after $2200.00 in parts and labor it looks good as new.
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of metal in your leg. Ya might want to link this to the 'heavy metal club' thread.
    Ouch.
    Glad you are relatively ok.
  3. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    it happened to me back in 1978.fortunately i only had minor injuries.nothing at all like youre crash.i like this prayer.god grant me the serenity to accept the things i cant change,courage to change the things i can and wisdom to know the difference.hope you have a full recovery!
  4. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Glad it wasn't worse even though it looks bad enough....
  5. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and stroy. I am sure a lot of us, including myself, will be a little more careful when going around blind corners !!!

Mike
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    damn. glad it wasn't worse and thanks for the reminder on blind corners. this weekend's ride has a long section with several hundred blind corners like that, and the local cow cockeys often speed along it...