Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module PDM60: anybody try one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 17, 2010.

1. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Folks, let me help you understand what's what wih regards to PDM60 versions.

Version 1 - Originally sold only by Aerostich, it's been obsolete for over a year. No place is selling these.

Version 2 - Available for about a year, now. ALL PDM60's that are available today are VERSION 2. The Aerostich model has a Molex connector and the pigtails plug into that connector. Non-Aerostich models do not have the 9 pin Molex, just pigtail leads for connecting your devices to.

Version 2 initially had a light colored with black printing "Powerpak" label. This was changed in July 2012 to the current style dark colored label. Aerostich has their own OEM label.

In January 2013 (ie last week), the 2 pin SAE battery charger input connector was eliminated. PDM60's will no longer have this connector, and the latest batch that we received into our shop does not have the SAE conenctor, and it doesn't look like there's any possibility of it coming back.

Version 5 - DOES NOT EXIST. Nada, Zip, End of Story. So regardless of what you have heard, seen, telepathed, gossiped, dreamt about or imagined, all PDM60's in the market today, and going back some time are Version 2.

All Version 2 PDM60's are dealer programmable today; but few dealers have the software and programming adapter; we do. Figure in about 45-60 days, an accessory special USB programming interface cable and friendly dashboard software, will permit end-user programming.

So, bottom line is, if you buy a PDM60 it's gonna be Version 2. It's programmable. You will like it. And, if it'll make you feel better we'll slap a big ol' VERSION 5 sticker on it, no extra charge :rofl. CAPICE??
  2. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    What I like to do is ground the device close to where it is located with a ring crimp and only run one wire back to the PDM or fuse device, less wires running everywhere.

Sure, some items want to go to the battery either ground or power or both, well I've ignored that safely for years, YMMV.
  3. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Check out our wiring kit. We have a special ground cable made for us by Powerlet.
  4. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam
    Thanks for weighing in on the thread and clarifying the versions.

I think the crux of the question that has yet to be answered yet is in regards to the Rowe announcement (allegedly, for I have not read it myself) that some version (?) is or will be user programable in the near future with the release of the appropriate PC software, or that is the rumor.

Perhaps you have some insight on this...?
  5. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adam !!!
    The only actual reference to a "V5" I've seen is in the title of the MCI YouTube video. It must mean something else - maybe the 5th take of the video??
  6. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    The PDM60 that you have right now is programmable. If you had the $200 programming goodie and the software you could program it yourself.

What is on the horizon is a special USB cable that has the hardware programming interface built into the cable. That cable, along with Windoze software that is a bit friendlier than what the dealers have today, will permit programming of existing and forthcoming version2 PDM60's. The PDM60's aren't changing - just the cable availability.
  7. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    Cheers!
    I heard similar news...I hear it's slated for release soon...
  8. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    James:

We'll have a good stock of USB programming cables on hand, so if you need one, we'll have 'em on the RocketMoto.com store.
  9. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm counting on ;>
  10. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a write up of my PDM60 install here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840096&page=32

It starts on post #477. This is an AWESOME unit! I had a Fuzeblock initially and exchanged it for the PDM. Never looked back and worth every penny.

Incidentally, I am a programmer also and in Oregon. Anyone who needs a programming change, PM me and I'll hook you up.

p3
  11. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up!!:clap Will be starting my install on my FJR in the next day or so,:1drink
  12. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After about 5-6 days of working on installing the PDM60 I have finished with the initial wiring and connections. All works exactly as described in their literature. I took my time in laying out the process before I started and it was worth it. Only had a couple of minor rerouting issues I discovered before powering it up. A couple of emails to both Rowe Electronics and RocketMoto gave me the answers I needed.

Being perhaps the first to install one of these on a 2013 FJR1300 I was a bit overwhelmed at first by trying to figure out a route for the power/load leads. All turned out well, have 3 unused spares in the dash waiting for additional farkles.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing the install by securing and final routing to button up the bike and rehang all that plastic. Have to say that after a number of years on BMWs I was shocked at the various fasteners Yamaha used on this bike, not to mention the tight fit of the dash itself and those section pieces. Practices makes perfect, but I have no plans to tear into this again for a while. :clap

Have to say that pilot3's write up helped me solve the mounting of the PDM60 itself, very clever and it works great. Good job pilot3!!
  13. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finished up today and I am pleased with the results, no doubt the PDM60 is a quality piece of equipment, no regrets, yet.:D

Photos later,
  14. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I forgot to mention but I've got two of the ABS backs for the PDM still here. If you want one, PM me your address and ill drop one in the mail to you.
  15. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Yeah - we needs to see da' pix. :deal
  16. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I missed it but any idea of what these will cost?
  17. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Not sure, just yet. Will post when we know more.
  19. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd update y'all with the latest info.

This week, we learned that in order to enable the forthcoming USB programming cable option, a firmware update is required. Yesterday, we received a special version of the PDM60 software that enables us to update the firmware, and any PDM60's that we ship from today forward will have the USB cable option enabled. Cables are about a month out, I figure.

The firmware is a Rocket Moto or Rowe factory update only. For any PDM60 units shipped prior to today, we will update the firmware at no cost, other than shipping to and fro.

Any questions - just let me know.
  20. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    So this means folks with existing units would have to send them in for the update?