My review of Ural Motorcycles (2012)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by bokad, May 28, 2012.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too long - redundant. Didn't read.
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please show me the error of my ways.
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your post reads as though you do indeed CARE.

Make the call to GENE. The Ural is actually in my brother's name.

Thanks much, for others will read & have a better idea about the warranty, as all buying a new Ural should. I'm betting ''upper Ural management'' will be much more careful.
    Alexander B likes this.
  4. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry to dissapoint you, I will make no calls. I have wasted way too much time on this.
    My Ural is in my name. I have no reason to hide what I own.
  5. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't be silly now, hide ownership. Why should there be two different names on the title.

Besides the point is here. You cannot think of a warranty claim being turned away until it happens to you.
    The cracks under other GU spotlights are not that uncommon, especially for those that really ride the GU in rough places.
    Just what kind of riding would you consider un suited for the GU ?

But it will always be easier to attack something or someone you believe is an easier target rather than dare to point something out that really helps us all.

Cracks formed on GU still under warranty, reason given by Ural to not honor warranty was Ural was used in a manner not intended by Ural. Ask GENE, he put the claim in & told me what VP Jason said was the reason.
    Guys this is so simple.

We ride our Ural nearly every km off the pavement, at least 95% .
    It is a good unit but the warranty is questionable.

Please KEEP UP
  6. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just find it funny the use of the term "keep up"

My goodness man, these are Urals we are talking about and they will not "keep up" no matter how much you wring the throttle :-)

(All in good fun)
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this story! Please tell it again?
    I would try to use logic, and ask if there have been other Ural tubs that cracked at the searchlight that were covered by the warranty, and it was only "BRO"s claim that was arbitrarily rejected...or if engine problems are randomly addressed by the allegedly non-existent warranty, or if it is only searchlight mounts they draw lots for...but such inquiry has been largely ignored by you. So by all means, tell it again, and again. After all, what would life be without drama?
  8. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I have resisted replying to this latest fiasco as long as I could. In the close to 7 years I have been "abusing" Urals I have broken just about everything that could possibly be broken, busted, bent, cracked, blown up or is some other way destroyed, I have yet to have the sidecar crack where the spot light bolts to the tub. Perhaps I don't ride'em hard enough..............:dunno
  9. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    As far as Ural Warranty..... I have had a VERY different experience from Wolfgang55.... I had several problems early on ....actually a couple of them self induced....and Ural /Triquest jumped to get them fixed with no hassles and no BS. WAAAY better than my several (now sold) high dollar Teutonic wonders.

I don't know his (Wolfgang55's) story but I personally can say the URAL has had the best warranty coverage, BAR NONE, than any motorcycle (or car for that matter) than I have ever experienced.

If a prospective buyer is worried on this matter, look at the majority of owners experiences....similar to mine...:D
  10. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTDT!

I wasn't daft, just drunk!
    My first Dnepr I intentionally bought.
    The second one... well , I vaguely remember drinking a lot and searching stuff on German eBay. I woke up with a hangover and another Dnepr...
  11. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have only your word on how the bike was ridden, so it becomes a simple choice wether to believe you or the guy many of us have personal experience with. Guess how that's going to go? Continual bleating is not helping your case, merely making you sound quite bokad-ish.
  12. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the back or the Ural GU sidecar are the words ''KEEP UP''

BRO thought it funny to use that when out west in the back country. It's a wooden shingle that hangs off the back of the sidecar.

We have had a few DS riders greet us as ''Hey KEEP UP, didn't I see you in Chloride Canyon, etc.

It's more than a little funny now to have anyone take offense to something so light.

We look at things differently but still read the same words & think what we want.
  13. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How could riding this GU, result in surface cracks under the spotlight mount become unacceptable ? How about it VP Jason ? If you used a dart board to select who was covered then I will accept that at ''drawing of the short straw''.

roscoau:
    Ask your question on SS. There are a cracks there two, both on Urals in & out of warranty....same location.

Having only my word ?.....there are a lot of ''words'' for warranty out there & some are getting answered w/ approval from ''upper Ural management''.

As for the OP of this tread, it was a good thing for Ural that he put up his experiences until his Patrol starting to fall apart. Had he been a better wrencher he may have become a new ''hero''.
    But he really did have some issues w/ his rig, didn't he or was it only his word ? That should not be over looked.

Bash him from all sides & then he tried to respond & again it got on a personal note & moved away form the Ural break downs.

Now his name is used to slice into anyone who is not getting any answers from ''upper Ural management''. :lol3
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might be mildly amusing, IF presented in the context quoted, but...
    It was NOT presented in that context, but rather in reference to the conversation. If you aren't aware of this they you weren't paying attention. KEEP UP!

As for Bokad, and his legitimate mechanical issues; that wasn't why he's become a pariah. It was his evangelical style of expressing his opinion as fact.
    There have been many people who have mentioned real mechanical issues, and an overwhelming majority have gone on to sing praises of "the industry's best warranty".

Using Bokad's name to "slice into anyone who is not getting any answers from 'upper Ural management' "? If the shoe fits, sir...
    You DID get an answer, just not the one your opinion prescribed as "correct".
  15. gervais

gervais Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well
    looking at this web page,at the lower right corner i saw ,,,,,141 added lines
    and what it came in my mind,,,!!!
    "again what was the problem !!!!!!!!!!"

:-))

gef
  16. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JUST saw this thread. Back in '07 I did my second Alaska ride w/ a buddy on his new Ural, me on my '04 KLR650. (HIS first, and mine, were in '04 on Suzuki Bandit 1200S, his an '02 and mine an '04 - GREAT ride!)

Almost EVERY time we got a rain-shower, or he ran thru a puddle, the Ural quit running. We spent so much time beside the road w/ Joe taking his carbs apart, that I suggested he'd be better off buying a used Ford half-ton. That way he'd get BETTER gas mileage, and he'd have heat and tunes!

He waited several weeks in 100 Mile House, BC for carbs under warranty, then finally got back to Arkansas. His NEXT Ural adventure involved TRYING to ride the T.A.T., but two days west of home his Ural caught on fire and burned to the ground!:clap

I, PERSONALLY, would never have one....
    Alexander B likes this.
  17. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why was he always taking his carbs apart? Water getting in them? What mods did he do to his Ural?
    And why did his Ural catch on fire?
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having ridden my 07 Patrol on a daily basis, year round, on and off road, in the Pacific Northwest for the past 6 years without water related issues, all I can wounder is what the actual issue was.
  19. graygoat657

graygoat657 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is an interesting characteristic about internet vehicle forums. Rarely does a owner of (wxyz) vehicle ever get on the board and post: "Drove my (wxyz) today and it started, ran fine, nothing happened and I went home." However, warranty problems, major component failures and items or issues that the owner feels should have been covered are broadcast at full volume. I have seen examples of OEMs not standing behind their warranties, and I have seen just as many examples of dealers (and customers) bending the rules and getting parts and labor covered in instances of gross negligence and customer abuse. More importantly, I have seen dealers take the hit when the OEM did not stand behind their warranty so the customer was taken care of, in spite of the fact it hurt the dealerships bottom line. Just so they could save the relationship with the customer in spite of the OEM's refusal to help the customer.

I have worked for several of the largest OEMS in the power sports industry. Not dealerships, but the actual companies themselves. I have personally reviewed warranty claims where vehicles burned to the ground, engines self destructed with only several hours of operating time and suspension and drive train components failed while the vehicle was in operation and under warranty. In MOST of these examples, there was an operator behavior that contributed or caused these failures, but be damned if the customer would admit it. At least until the lawyers got involved and there was an in depth investigation. In those instances where it was clearly the OEM's (vehicle) fault, the owners vehicle was replaced, or money changed hands.

The point of this ramble is this: one or two lines on a forum stating: My "whizzle-framas" broke and they denied my warranty, don't ever trust or buy this brand of vehicle.... or "my cousins-uncles-brother was just riding in a field and the vehicle spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground, don't ever buy one, they're junk" is not telling the whole story. Doesn't matter if its (in this case) Ural, Honda, Harley, Polaris, Suzuki, KTM, whatever.

Some buyers are liars. Sorry if that comes across as cynical, but that's 20 years of industry experience talking.
    Alexander B likes this.
  20. 2wheeljunkie

2wheeljunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drove my 2013 Ural Gear Up today and it started, ran fine, nothing happened, and I went home..........and then I rode it again later because it was so damn fun. It's truly amazing that this thread is still going. I haven't read every page of it, but I've read a lot of it. Some strong feelings on both sides. I ordered my Gear Up about two weeks ago in spite of all the naysayers. Picked it up yesterday and though two days of riding surely isn't going to reveal all the problems I "might" have in the future, I'm totally sold on the Ural product. Everything the dealer promised me he delivered on........ahead of schedule even. I bought a KTM last year and aside from one salesman, it was like a chain of people that seemed completely disinterested in my purchase experience. Nobody even went over the bike with me. They let me ride out of the parking lot on a death machine and weren't even sure I could ride. I'm not bagging on KTM here. I love the bike, just not crazy about the place I bought it. The Ural purchase was the complete opposite. Sure the dealer was kind of a weird dude, but the sale went like I imagined a motorcycle sale should go. The paperwork was uncomplicated and the dealer spent about an hour going over the bike with me. He then spent about half an hour making sure I could ride it without killing myself. I've been sneaking out of the house whenever I can because riding it and looking at it make me grin like an idiot.