Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. wmfleet2

wmfleet2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    where is this photo taken from please
  2. wmfleet2

wmfleet2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    where is this last photo taken from please
  3. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like the pull off (party central; watch for lots of broken glass!) on Woodrow Road, located between PA Route 233 and Ridge Road, looking south!?

Jeff (SoaRider)
  4. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photos BoothDoc!! :thumb sweet ride you have there. I don't recognize that overlook.
  5. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey BoothDoc seems you ran into my riding buddy Keith on his 690 Enduro yesterday, not far from where your pics were taken. According to Keith, Michaux has some good and bad (sun dried good stuff, mud and ice!) roads at the moment. If we don't get anymore snow, the normal first day on the riding season, March 1st, should usher in another great year of moto adventures in M.S.F.. I'm waiting on a new rear MT21 to arrive for a borrowed DR650SE, then it's off to my dealer to get it inspected, after which time I'll be checking out Michaux myself.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'94/'96 DR350SET/441 Hybrid (Being reincarnated as we speak!)
    '07 DL650AK7 (41 states, D.C. and 5 provinces in 47 months!)
    '09 DR650SE (Something borrowed, something black!)
  6. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    Jeff:
    Keith was a good guy. i wish we had spent more time yapping but I think we both just wanted to ride. He sped off quicker then I could even shift into first:rofl. I am looking forward to getting lost alot up there.
    I have no idea where I was. I will try to retrace it on a map today. I had no GPS nor Compass nor map just drove around.
  7. LawrenceTheCat

LawrenceTheCat 3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just found this thread by accident, while looking for something about Lums Pond/C&D Canal riding...I might have to change direction! Looks like a great place to 'get slightly lost', and not too far for me to day trip it. If anyone from east of MSF needs a witness, I'd be happy to tag along. I have 2 DRs, a 350 and a 650, one should be able to keep up with one of those OFF! mesquito repellant colored bikes (I'm jealous, of course) or a G-spot...
    My last DS bike was a tagged XR600R, and yes, it's pretty easy to get them legal in PA, but it takes the right inspection mechanic to do it. It's called "enhanced vehicle inspection" now, to change an OHV title to a street title. Same form as a reconstructed title, I think MV426PA is the number. (funny, the plate didn't change that bike's pigishness in the woods, or give it any manners on the pavement:puke1)
    Keep the pics coming, spring is almost on us!
  8. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, we will have to get together and head over to Michaux soon. I live about 2 miles west of the river, a little south of Wrightsville.
  9. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    Hey Lawrence, welcome to the fun! Post your photos here! I love seeing them too.
  10. LawrenceTheCat

Oddometer:
    I might have to dig out some back-dated pics, I can't stand to look at any more snow, even in my own photos! And thank you, your ride reports give me something to set my sights on.
    Skyclad, I was just up your way sunday, one last burn before I tore my 650 down for a new clutch and some maintenance. oh, joy. I saw only adv bikes, and a few harleys that day...kind of makes us all extremophiles, I guess. The normal people were nowhere to be seen.
    I'm easy, when it comes to riding. On any Sunday, to quote:)
  11. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I live outside of Elizabethtown. I can fall off a dual sport with the best of 'em. Maybe we can all plan an invasion. :evil
  12. LawrenceTheCat

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'm clear for the second and last weekend of march, first and second in April, maybe last if I survive my burn to SC the third week:asta
    I think my neighbor still has his KLR, I've been threatening to drag him out on an adv ride.
    Took a 'grocery getting' run Sat on my little bike, but forgot the groceries. Did get it dirty tho.

Attached Files:

13. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, is that picture Fishing Creek road?
  14. LawrenceTheCat

Oddometer:
    Yes, good eye ya got there. Not many bridges like that. Before the enviro nazis took over Fishing Creek and declared it "pristine" (funny, my mom said it was carved out of the woods by Great Depression era workers, as a gov funded unemployment relief project), we used to ride the creek itself. But that was late 80s, early 90s. I'm sure you would be drawn, hung, and quartered for such horrible, destructive behavior now. Although if you look closely, no damage seems to have happened...could this be one special interest group intent on eliminating all others? Just ask the horse-back people who used to be able to ride here. :cry Oh well, at least we have the horribly-kept, winter maintenance-free dirt road to enjoy. And they can't blame the dirtbikers for the dumping of refuse anymore...(it was so obvious that we were doing it- look, there is a knobby track right next to that junk couch!)
    Sorry about the soap-boxing, each year I see our riding spots shrink due to classless acts of others. And this winter has been no exception, piles of old tires, fridges, roofing debris...it's probably good I don't have supreme executive power. I'd be executing it.:whip
  15. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    What a great place you have to ride. Thank's so much for taking the time to share it with us. Some of your pictures look just like the great views we have here in Tennessee.
  16. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:

Thanks! You have taken a mess of time yourself. :thumb I'll be checking out your reports.

From Newfoundland to Alabama, it's all Appalachian to me! :deal :D

I am enjoying the crap out of all this talk about mountain off tarmac riding.

This here is Sizerville State Park/Elk State Forest from ridge road. \
    [​IMG]

ZZZZAT look like the Smokies or what?
  17. LawrenceTheCat

Oddometer:
    Lucky you- you have the TAT! We gotta connect-the-dots. On a positive note, as the adv and ds bike market demand grows, our new bikes are gonna become very cool, and more readily available. I'll bet Triumph will double production of that slick new Tiger 800XC in '12....
    Hey JaxObsessed- are you gonna give us a guided tour of the Michaux? Looks big. Oh yeah, if anyone is looking to get an '11 riding permit for the Reading Anthracite property, I'm planning a day jaunt to their office in Pottsville. The only way to get one, and has to be during their office hours. Wouldn't mind having a partner in crime for the ride.
  18. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    Not to disparage the TAT ... but. Please parooze this here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38
    You will find a great deal of work going into a Trans Eastern Trail. TET! oh yeh.

I go to MSF, and get lost. It's my favorite way to explore. You can have an excellent ride with just a compass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about the Trans WV Trail

Lot's of connect the dots going on lately. So many rides...so little time.
  20. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    The Trans WV trail is why I ended (or started, depending on which direction you are going) The Trans PA Trail at Michaux.

The other end is FrenchTown NJ where you pickup the Trans NJ trail.

Or you can take a route I have not ridden yet that works right into the Trans PA trail on the East side of the PA Grand Canyon, then goes to Hancock NY so riders can bypass the sand (I mean NJ trail) if they want.

the big empty right now is the bottom 1/2 of NY.