RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Jan 21, 2009.

1. sboada

sboada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's to Eric for helping me sort out the sizing issues for my Held WarmnDry gloves. Finally found a pair that fits and they are working out great so far.
  2. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to move from my Arai XD to my first modular helmet and don't really want to break the bank based on it being my first. So was considering the Nolan N90. My XD is a small, but haven't taken a tape measure to my head as yet.
    I use a Cardo Scala Q2 on my XD. Would this be able to fit on the Nolan and would you also suggest a small?
    Daryll
  3. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hi Daryll,
    Nolan makes a solid modular helmet, and they've been making modular helmets for a very long time. Both the N90 and the N103 are good places to start. You may have also heard this year they are launching the Nolan N104, which is pretty sleek. Between the N90 and the N103, the N103 has a few superior features for only dollars more, such as a stainless steel latching system and a balanced chin bar that allows you to ride at low speeds with the chin bar up. The N90 chin bar sits slightly forward when open and is not as well balanced. Both the N90 and the N103 are specifically designed to work with the NCom system, but you should be able to use your Cardo Scala Q2 with no problems.
    Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  4. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the info.
  5. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So Anthony, first let me just say how much I appreciate your attention to detail on all the reviews you do. I'd like to think I'm very much a geek when it comes to research as I do professional sound/lighting/video for a living. Product knowledge is essential and I do really have to KNOW about things as technology in our industry is changing daily.

You take it to another level though when it comes to GEEK though - I stand in awe :D

Enough pandering though, here's a couple of questions for you sir

1) Since you have an amazing amount of perspective from ACTUALLY doing a jump off in Pine Top, AZ and we know what kind of jacket and pants you were wearing (FG Ranier) and we know you had such a conviction about your Sidi Adventure Rains to produce a separate video about that boot....... What jacket in the 350-500 range would you think is best for protection in an serious ADV environment like we have here in Colorado?

2) When do we get the next jump off story say from Colorado about the new Rev It Horizon jacket and pant combo?

3) When will Revzilla get the new Gaerne G-Midlands ADV boot followed with appropriate crazy detail review :hmmmmm

blessings and would love to know!!!
  6. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi J.L. Poe,
    Thank you for the positive feedback. I will make sure Anthony gets the kudos you've shared. You may have expected to see Anthony personally reply, but I've sort of become the Mistress of ADVrider and have taken to answering most of the posts here. I'm also an adventure rider and have a Triple Black GS1200 of my own.

In the $300-500 range for the serious adventure rider, I like both the REV'IT! Sand Jacket and slightly outside that price range, I like the Klim Latitude jacket. The Sand has more temperature flexibility, but the Klim has the advantage of Gore Tex.
    The REV'IT! Horizon Jacket and Pants still have about a month before the production versions are released, so we've only had the chance to examine samples. As soon as they are available, we plan on doing a thorough review of that set-up. We have high-expectations for the REV'IT! Horizon Jacket and Pant and it will discussed in detail here.
    Lastly, for the Gaerne G-Midlands boot, we don't see any availability from our distributor as of right now. We do know that not all Gaerne boots produced are imported into the US. It's on our radar and if we see a change to that status, we will send you an update. In another post, there was speculation that it would launch in October, but we find no other information to support that.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  7. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer:
    Hey J.L.

Thanks for the note and encouragement my man. I really appreciate that you have digested so much of our video and story!

I wanted Ali to jump in to get you answers as quickly as possible. My typical day is nuts.

Colorado is awesome. I have ridden in and around Gunnison Nat'l park and the riding was spectacular. Marshall McClure passes etc.

Thanks for the geek nod. Any feedback is always welcomed.

Be well. Ride hard. Ride safe.

Anthony

8. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Ali for the help

would you answer a few more?

I've been doing my "normal" research for a new jacket/pant combo - read for 2-3 months, explore all things internet, try and find folks who've actually pulled the trigger, lose sleep because I can take my ipad 2 to bed, get chastised by my wife who loves me but sees me neglecting kids and chores, do an actual pros and cons list etc etc etc :shog

so.........

Love your recommendation on the Sand combo, seems super solid and proven. The Klim comes highly recommend of course, but I struggle with no liners and paying for Goretex (even though I have multiple gore pieces of gear for snow/outdoors). Question 1) from a multi-use/weather 4 season perspective, do you think the Sand really outshines the Klim and do you feel the Horizon MAY take it to that next level because of the Hypertex?

Question 2) Simply base on construction, does the Rev It gear approach Klim in construction, and is it ALMOST to the level of Aerostich and Motoport?

Question 3) Which company will fit me better particular in the pants? I have a 35-36 inch wast in most pants but have a 35.5 to 36 inch inseam?

Question 4) Do you also concur with Anthony when it comes to boots, and was wondering if they are as flexible as most folks seem to report?

Question #4) Your triple black GS sounds like a beast of a bike. What system would you chose for me since I'm the proud owner of a triple black 2009 KLR 650 and mainly target mountain riding after I've ridden on the 2 lane high way to get there here in beautiful Colorado?

thanks again!
  9. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks Anthony!!!!!

dude, you guys need to get a head cam POV camera for your reviews, that way you've got b-roll cut-away footage for when you "crack that baby open" and go inside ....whatever

I know your busy sir, and know you all have only gotten test items, but what's your real GUT on the Horizon?

Ground breaking? Should I wait for it?

I've got cash burning a hole, but want to make the absolute wisest purchase.

Also, give me your GUT also on the Adventure Rains. Is there anything better for me here in the Centennial state?

Finally, if you ever make it to Colorado again for TESTING, know I'd be honored to host you at a pretty cool place that I work in Colorado Springs. www.gleneyrie.org

Not sure if you've ever stayed in a castle, but I'd comp you a room for a night, but only if you shoot a video there :lol3

Big Horn sheep included at no extra charge.........

blessings sir
  10. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey JL,

I think bang-for-buck and quality, the Sand combo wins hands down. I actually have a boot-leg version I wear in the winter (the only Extra-Small ever produced for a photo-shoot). I also think the Horizon will be a game changer, but until it's out on the market and some real-world testing is done, it's still too early to say. I will say that I have my concerns about use here in the humid North East and how well it will breathe in the heat of the summer. In your neck of the woods, it should be infinitely better.
    As for inseam, both REV'IT! and Klim offer long lengths. A 36" inseam with a 36" waist will be hard to come by, however, where you will likely have to choose one or the other. In the Klim, you would take a Large Tall, and in REV'IT! an XL tall, but both will be a bit shy of a 36" inseam. You could go up a size for the extra length, but it would be loose at the waist.
    I personally only use the Sidi Crossfire (older TA version) for aggressive off-road riding and the REV'IT! Rival boots for touring and light off road use. Anthony can speak better to real-world use of the Sidi Rains.
    Lastly, the KLR is a great all-around bike. I had a 96 KLR for a hot minute. I didn't like how it performed for me in sandy terrain, so I picked up a Suzuki DR650SE. The KLR is certainly better for long distances on the high-way, but I prefer the way the DR performed off-road.
    I've had the opportunity to do some riding in Colorado back in the summer of '05 on my old '01 BMW GS 1150. I did the Million Dollar Highway and some of the Black Canyon. You have some stellar riding in your parts. To me, nothing beats the GS for touring and the occasional off-road tryst.
    Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  11. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Howdy! Love your store!

Looking for some new boots, thinking of Gaerne G-1 or Fast Back, but noticed the TCX Pro 1.1 boots. Which one has more protection and comfort?:ear
  12. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Juames,

Although I think Gaerne makes some nice boots at a reasonable price, I think the TCX boots are a superior product. From a protection standpoint, I would say the Gaerne and TCX are quite similar. Comfort is relative when speaking in terms of an Off-Road boot, because their construction is robust and often feels cumbersome when compared to a typical touring boot. Personally, I ride in a older pair of Sidi Crossfire boots, but based on customer feedback, I would suggest TCX over Gaerne.
    Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  13. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:clap

14. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ali,

again thanks, very helpful. Seems I've got the best choice for me in the Sand. It just rocks so many things really well!

Great info on the sizing, I've since re-measured and find that to the ankle bone I'm more towards a 35 so I think the length will be fine. Pretty sure my jacket would be the 2XL based on the sizing charts from RevIT and Revzillas help video.

I'm still not sure about the boots, but have been leaning towards the Sidi Adventure Rains based on protection.

Yep were blessed with some pretty awesome riding out here, and that ride on the Million Dollar Highway has some of the most spectacular views, truly amazing.

Now I guess all I need to know is if you guys have a Sand Jacket in Safari size 2XL and a Sand pant in black XL Long?

I've gone back and forth on color, and I'm still not absolutely sure, but i just can't get used to that cream color even though it says silver/black. The one picture I have seen of an actual Safari Sand jacket on a rider had it looking more khaki (closer to mud) than the greenish beige color RevIt shows, is that true? I'm more about form and function than style, but when I play that video of me showing up to the next TECH DAY for KLR 650's around here, I'm not sure cream is a KLR color :lol3

Oh, and while I'm at it I have to say my KLR doesn't do ANYTHING really well as you so well said, but it sure does everything pretty good!

thanks Ali and let me know on the Sand suit!!!!
  15. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    JL, you're in luck. We have both the Sand jacket in Safari 2X and the Sand Pant in Black XL long. Feel free to give us a call if you need assistance in placing your order.
    Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  16. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I have a Revit Sand jacket and Dakar pants. Love the setup. Thinking of getting some pants for my girlfriend. I know Revit makes pants specifically for women. I really like the airwaves or the Tornado pants for her. My question is sizing. Could I simply buy a mens smaller size in pants to fit her and maybe get a better deal with pricing on a clear out? We all know how funky Revit sizing can be. Any advice is appreciated.
  17. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey MackDaddy,

REV'IT! definitely has a specific fit, but if you find a product of theirs that fits well, you're an instant fan. I have several of REV'IT!'s ladies pants and can comment on my favorite: The Ladies Ventura pant. It's basically the ladies version of your Sand pants with the same 3 layer system. They fit great and I've used them in a large temperature range. I also have a pair of the Ladies Tornado pants, which perform great in hot weather. My only gripe with the Tornado pants is that they are not long enough for me and the knee armor does not line up. The REV'IT! ladies pants have a specific cut for a woman's shape, so buying a small version of a man's pant may or may not work. If you can provide me with some measurements, I can make some recommendations on pants for your girlfriend. And as a fellow lady rider to another, if she doesn't want her measurements posted publicly on this forum, she can contact me directly for recommendations.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  18. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Ali, I did it, ordered today :clap

measured 6 times, went back and forth on the 2XL jacket but opted for a little extra room for when I'm doing serious under-layering for our nice and crisp Colorado Winters, and feel like I'll cinch it up for summer time.

went for the safari on the jacket and black on the pants :) - just couldn't see myself on KLR 650 looking like Tom Hanks in Apollo 13

I'll try and give an update for folks on my assessment

thanks again Ali/ Anthony for all your help!

Joseph
  19. RevZilla

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, Joseph. I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the combo.

Cheers,
    Ali
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer: