Convince me .... pcx or sh150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by kdude, May 31, 2014.

1. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    I'm on the fence. I has the opp to buy either scooter from private sellers for good prices.

The 2014 pcx about $2600 ( 750 kms)

or

2010 SH 150 for $3200.00 ( 1300 kms)

Can you guys give your thoughts on these two scoots.

Which one would you buy and why would you choose that particular model.

Thx in advance

Howard
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would go for the SH150. I like it's step through design, large wheels, it's overall dimensions (shorter and taller) and I believe it has a removable panel to access the valves. It is also a very high quality scooter, and outsells even Vespa in Italy. It was not a sales success in the U.S., but I believe that was due to it's high pricetag.
  3. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry .. appreciate the input. I was kinda of leaning the same way. :)
  4. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    The SH150. I always thought if it as near "perfect" as they come.
    Besides all those euros can't be wrong!

Can't go wrong either way both are fine rides.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  5. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    come, now. forget that big wheel'd motorized bicycle and get with the 2014 PCX

it looks great, has a cool dash, under seat storage, is sporty, and the wheels are not small, if that is an issue. not mopedish like the SH, though

let me see, a 2014 Honda for several hundred dollars less then a 2010 Honda with more miles on it, big ass wheels, and no onboard storage to speak of?

i say get the scooter. but what do i know!!?
  6. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would at least sit on both or ride them if you can. Buy the one that feels the best to you.
  7. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    Klaviator is right, as usual. Ride both, pick the one you like best. They're both good rides.

The valve adjustments people always use scare tactics against the PCX are just that -- scare tactics. It's not nearly as bad a procedure as people make it out to be, and isn't necessary as often as the manual states. My PCX has over 10k miles, and I haven't had to adjust the valves since the first service. I dropped a big bore kit in, and they were still in-spec. I'll ride it until I notice issues from the valves or another 10-20k miles, and only then check.

Facts on both:
    - The SH150's underseat storage is lacking compared to the PCX.
    - The PCX gets better gas mileage.
    - SH150 has 16" wheels, PCX has 14" wheels. This can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on application.
    - The PCX has more range, by about 20 miles.
    - The fit/finish on the SH150 is a bit better.
    - SH150 has ABS, if I'm remembering correctly. This is a MAJOR plus in my opinion.
    - The SH150 is easier to dismantle for major service (like engine swaps)

Really, both are a winner. You'll love both. I'm biased and would get the PCX because I'm still infatuated with mine after years of riding. :evil

Either way, you're making a good choice. Pick the one you like the best, ride it, and don't think twice about the decision, they're both awesome. :D
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    MaddieDog said what many of us were thinking: both good choices. Different in execution, but similar in function. I like the styling of the PCX better than the SH-150. Performance will be similar. Mileage will be close enough to not be much of an issue. See which one fits you best. Nice to make a choice where either way is a WIN! :clap

The PCX was our choice, but I wouldn't try to convince you either way.
  9. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
  11. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    as they said ride both and decide . That 600 bucks is going to go to alot of gas Both are good for tour but the pxc has more space for stuff. for some it would be a more relaxed ride. Add in weather protection as a factor to if you ride in rain. I feel the sh150 going to have less protection that way. 16 inch tires are go longer between changes but touring for a while might be harder to get on the road. Pcx has a little better mileage but both are good. An sh150 with the right tires can handle logging roads etc that a pcx can't . Not everyone wants to ride back roads.
    Pcx is going to have parts for years to come without waiting for them since there still being sold in usa.
    Will another 4 or 5 years form now the sh150 parts will be harder to get do to not being in stock since it was just a 2 year model here. I m not saying that you ll not be able to get them but may have to wait for them.

Sh150 will be worth more then pcx .
  12. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback and really good comments. As soon as i decide which one it will be i will post a review. Either scooter is a winner in my opinion.

Howard
  13. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go with the SH it is a better bike, best in class. Larger wheels handles those mexican roads better, has 2 more HP
  14. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:

When I learn of the sh300 my first thought was Can we stuff the engine in sh150 :lol3. Fly over for a vacation . Find a wrenched sh300 and take the engine home in your luggage the engine . Oh well this is the shit you get when companies makes chooses by focus groups.
  15. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    do not listen to poster DaBinChe. he is a n00b who has only rode a small bike to alaska and a honda elite further in a year then i rode in 2 or 3

i mean what kind of person puts tens of thousands of miles on a scooter? hell, hundreds of thousands, even!!

this person would have to be NUTS :loco

nope, all the more reason to go PCX, now

i mean the guy rode a moped to the north pole or something? just can't trust judgement like that :ksteve
  16. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Thanks DC... :lol3
  17. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the best thing to do. They're very similar in nearly all mechanical aspects and they both look nice. I went with a PCX because I liked the riding position better than the SH.
  18. herman7196

herman7196 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're considering buying a pcx because storage capacity is a concern... why not check out a low mileage used honda helix? It's got 100 extra CC's and tons of storage space. It'll ride all day on the highway without taxing the driver or the engine. It has a real windshield which does come in handy. I've owned 3 helix scooters and loved each one.

You can pick up a nice used one for around $1500 - $2500 on ebay or craigslist.

If the goofy looks of the pcx doesn't bother you, you surely won't mind the homely looks of the helix! :evil Especially, when you twist the throttle and leave all of the 150cc scooters scooters in the dust. :clap

The same goes with the SH150. Get a nice used CH250 elite instead. For less than 1/2 the cost of a sh150 you can have a very similar (yes, it's dated looking) scooter with an extra 100CC's.

I know the heart wants what the heart wants and that can easily override the brains logical thought process. :)
  19. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to have a brand new CH250 (the original boxy one) It had more traditional scooter proportions. I prefer it's design to the Helix, and the modern super long low maxi scooters. But a used one IMO would not provide good reliability, especially due to it's lack of parts availability.
  20. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    ch250 has almost all the imporate parts still out there . clutches , belts , carb parts brake shoes etc. brake drums( take alot of time to wear one out) , floor mats , panels and maybe some cables are harder to find. Near new ones sometimes show up . By that I mean from 500 miles ( not often ) to 4000 miles. By no means are they common with lower mileage but 7 to 15 000 mile one do show up. Strangely with a bit of wielding for the upper shock mount you can fit the engine in a helix .