Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    Just got the first package in. Awesome shipping, and the bags look quality nice! I'll be trying them out this weekend off the bike on a trip to the Middle East.

On the other hand, the Overlander comes in tomorrow, and already I might need to return them. :cry The frame of my bike might be bent where the MM mounts onto the passenger foot peg. If not that, then something else is keeping those racks from being mounted on the off-pipe side. Bags aren't much good without a rack. We'll see what happens after this trip.
  2. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Yay! :clap

And...

Booooo! :eek1

But in all seriousness, I'd look at the racks for defects before the bike frame for damage. Fingers crossed for you that it is the former.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. Pics from the Middle Eastern run, pretty please! :D
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Kriega is perfect for snowsports too !!

[​IMG]
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    wow those are some awesome backpacks!
    i need to look into those at some point.
    i've been using an old Camelback but those are much more functional for my guide work.
    even though tight, my Camelback is still sloppy on my back when riding aggressively.

5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Gotta say, I agree! :D

Thanks for the kind words, which are very much appreciated, coming from the maker of the most awesome motorcycle maps in the US.

As it happens, you (or Justin at least) should already have a couple of packs, courtesy of our mutual mate Jamie from MotoGeo. I know UPS couldn't deliver them the first time, but I'm sure they were resent. Can you check to see if they made it and, if not, PM me the best address for USPS and / or UPS deliveries?

Cheers,

Michael
  6. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Indeed! :evil

[​IMG]
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM.
  8. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried searching this thread but didn't see anything...

Has anyone fitted the overlander 30 to a BMW G650X (challenge or Moto)?

I've got a US-20 and US-10 already, and can't decide whether to try the soft panniers or just get a backpack and lug it myself. The plastic on the exhaust side on my bike is unsupported and flimsy, the right side is the fuel cap. So I'm not sure if the overlander will work, and if it'll be worth the effort to remove every gas stop (small tank too!).

Any thoughts?
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I have not tried the Overlander30 on the G650X... but... I used an exhaust slider to space the plastic from the exhaust on my Super Enduro. And, the Overlander30 (re)moves pretty quickly for your gas stops.
  10. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    I would normally consider the racks first as the problem, but I did have a fall on the bike a few years back, while moving on the interstate. Landed on that side of the bike, and bent the handlebar enough to dent the fuel tank. I know that the bars are easier to bend than the actual frame of the bike, but there's a mark on my swing arm right where the foot peg bolt is that says something's not quite lined up correctly. Either way, I bought some spacers, mounted the racks differently, and can keep the Overlander's. Which is great, cause once I saw them in person, I didn't want to send them back, especially after using the US 20/10/5 bags this weekend as a backpack.

Not many pictures to take when most of the trip is the 35 hours of flying to Afghanistan and back, and the handful of hours spent on the ground is trying to sleep in a tent with aircraft taking off and landing throughout the night. Still, here's a few of my setup:

[​IMG]
    (Sorry about the bad picture. As convenient as it is, the iPhone just doesn't make a good camera)
    • pair running shoes
    • pair shower shoes
    • toiletry bag
    • sleeping bag
    • neck pillow
    • insulated long sleeve shirt
    • PT shirt
    • Tan undershirt
    • 2 pairs of socks
    • 2 pairs of underwear
    • PT tracksuit: reflective pants and jacket
    • iPad with charging cable and headphones
    • Nook

All fits into here:
    [​IMG]

Simple, compact, and I even got a few compliments on the bags too.

I'm definitely sold on the brand!:beer
  11. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Anybody know how the R25 back pack works over a pressure suit?
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be an issue bob. That said, the QUADLOC lite harness on the R15 and R20 (which were designed with off-roading as the primary purpose, as opposed to the R25, which is more of an all-rounder) has - among other things - more adjustment built into the upper harness and tends to work better with body armor - especially neck braces (which I assume you could be wearing with a pressure suit). If you think you definitely need 25 liters of capacity, it might be worth considering an R20, with a US-5 strapped onto it.

I hope that helps, but do not hesitate to post up any further questions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey xaman,

Are you by any chance the good gentleman with whom I have exchanged emails and phone calls about the Overlander x 650X? Regardless, fitting the system shouldn't be an issue. As traveltoad quite rightly says, if the plastics are a little on the overly 'flexy' side, one of those spacer / sliders would be a good idea. And, although a minor PITA, the filler cap location shouldn't be a deal-breaker. You'd just need to back off either the lower daisy chain or seat strap (taking care not to let the bags contact the end-can) to get enough slack to access the cap.

Seeing as the silencer is pretty exposed on the X Challenge, one of these might not do any harm either:

[​IMG]

Happy to discuss the options further any time.

Cheers,

Michael
  14. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh... I see. Glad to hear you managed to find a workaround. Excited to see the system on a Scram' too! :clap

Excellent. It may seem geeky and sad, but no matter how long I've been using the gear myself and how many photos of other riders' set-ups I've seen, I still get a kick out of 'dodgy' camera-phone pics of Kriega equipment packed and ready for action. So, thank you very much for taking the time to snap 'em and share!
    :beer

... Which reminds me of this little beauty that another happy customer on tour in Afghanistan sent me a while back:

[​IMG]

:thumb
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. I have used it over a couple different ones without any issues
  16. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been trying a vest for a while and want to go back to the back pack but really like how the vest is carried against the body.
    The think I hate most about back packs is the chest strap[ is too high.... or maybe Im just fat.

i was lookling at the 25 because after seeing the 2 chest straps.

now I have to think???????? you give me too many choices:lol3
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Feel free to PM a contact number if you'd like me to call and learn more about your particular requirements, run through the gear in more detail and see if we can't find precisely the right pack for ya, bob!
  18. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Just got this special sneak peak at the upcoming film of Austin Vince's latest escapade, Mondo Sahara:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jz6CmOpHG40" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Oh, those crazy cats! :wings:lol3
  19. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    wow talk about wanting to make a customer happy, im impresed before spending any $$$$
    pm sent
    thanks
  20. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to wear R25 backpack with the R8 bum bag without much interference?
    I'm 190cm/6'2'' tall.