F800GS Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by moto73, Oct 25, 2008.

1. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    :norton Engine, not the wheel :1drink
  2. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    I totally knew that.... just testing you guys
  3. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Any of these pipes have spark arrestors? (USFS aprroved) Or at least something available?

Pretty important for riding national forest, yet most of the aftermarket seems to miss this. Not sure I want much more noise, but to shave some wieght an another pony or two couldn't hurt.
  4. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    I just talked to Graham at Leo Vince and he told me that
    there is a spark arrestor available for the Evo II.
    It's an insert for $49.95, easy mod.
    The pipe won't have a USFS compliance stamp on it
    because this pipe is in their street line.
    It should be easy enough to see or feel with a stick or whatever.
  5. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    With the removable silencer in, this pipe is not much louder than stock,
    just a little deeper sound.
    Also cool to the touch immediately. I can hold my hand on any part of it as soon as I get off the bike.
  6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't think a bike with a cat would need to have a spark arrestor also. Anybody know for sure?
  7. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to me one of the principal virtues of an aftermarket can on this bike will be to allow home-made bag mounts to tuck in tighter; for instance with the Pelican cases where they aren't shaped to accommodate the pipe, or soft bags with some backing plates. The Holeshot pipe looks good in this regard.

As for removing the Cat; I figure this isn't a race bike, I don't need to get every last HP out of it, so as long as the energy's already been expended to remove those rare earth metals from the ground & turn them into a catalytic converter I'll let it do it's job cleaning up the emissions.

I'll be interested to know if having the cat negates a need for a spark arrestor.
  8. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a new GS 800. Has any one experienced a sloppy muffler hanger. Rubber Bushing ??.

Mine really seams to flop around a lot. I worry about it off road.
  9. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the Akropovic (sorry no pic at this time) on my 8GS purely for aesthetics and, of course, the exhaust note. The dyno chart above confirms what I was told - not to expect meaningful performance gains. The Termignoni exhaust which I put on my Ducati certainly improved the aesthetics and exhaust note (stock exhaust on a Duc just does not sound like a Duc should sound), and it came with a different ECU chip that did seem to improve performance noticeably - seat of the pants impression.

It would be nice if BMW or the aftermarket provided a means to make ECU adjustments with a laptop, but looking at the dyno chart above I am not sure how you could make it much better than stock. Perhaps an OEM is prohibited from doing this in order to be sanitary with respect to emissions regulations for street legal vehicles.
  10. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    This issue is very unclear relative to what is actually required, and I have avoided trying to get a straight answer because I am afraid of what the answer might be. I would ask if a stock Jeep or Toyota has a spark arrestor? I have never known a street legal vehicle, unless it looks like a dirt bke, to be checked for an arrestor. When I ride my plated 400EXC into Hollister Hills OHV area in Cali, they just wave me on through (It does have a USFS approved arrestor BTW). Unplated bikes always get the rod poke test.

The stock exhaust on the 8GS is not labeled as certified to meet USFS spark arrestor requirements, and I do believe that a catalytic converter performs the same function (but have not heard or seen an official statement on this).

As a practical matter far more fires are started in Cali by brush contact with catalytic converters than by exhaust sparks.
  11. BIGISLANDMATT

BIGISLANDMATT n00b

Oddometer:
    The Holeshot website has been updated with the F800GS exhaust options and pricing. www.holeshot.com
  12. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Do you sell those, did you buy two different cans or was that one can that you can modify?

Either way, do us a favor and fill out your profile. Also, if you sell them, you need to keep to post up in vendors.
  13. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how would this exhaust compare to an akrapovic? any reason why the akra is so much more???
  14. dwkwlw760

dwkwlw760 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I wanted to get on here and introduce myself or see if you had any questions about my new Holeshot F800 GS slip-on.

Matt is a customer buddy of mine that lives near my work shop. I used his bike to do my prototype work, photos of both my polished and black slip-on as well as my dyno pulls.

I have all the parts now ready and my web page is also now up with all the information.

I do not want to make this a sale pitch and that would not be right to do so, but i will do my best to answer any questions you may have

Thanks

Dale Walker
  15. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Hey BigIslandMatt or dwkwlw760, did you guys notice any increase in low-speed surging or a lean A/F mixture after installing the exhaust pipe? I know with some closed loop systems (cough cough Ducati) an exhaust system can exasperate a restrictive Euro3 emission causing low-speed surging or rough idling.

My Monster was a tough ride after installing the Arrow full system. Granted that was a full system but I'd like to avoid that condition on my butter smooth GS :evil

I do love the stainless pipe...
  16. dwkwlw760

dwkwlw760 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi Red

I installed one on two bikes and they both seem to be as smooth as ever. I sniffed it on my dyno and its a touch lean some areas under light load, but not enough to create poor running or a problem.

Matts does hunted a bit say near idle in 1st gear, even did this with the stock muffler, and i can tell his throttle bodies may need a sync. My other customer's bike did not do this and ran as silky smooth as stock. But runs nice with or without my db killer also.

Cheers Dale
  17. dwkwlw760

dwkwlw760 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I want to move any further information about my new F800GS slip-on in the vendors section please. I answered a few questions here since i saw this thread.

I just put a new thread up in the vendors section at the link below

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8286389#post8286389

I also looks at all the bmw bike photos and my new slip-on may in fact fit the 650 GS and the new 2009 800R as well.

If you have any more questions about my parts, please go to the thread above to ask me.

Thank you

Dale Walker at Holeshot
  18. Airhog

Airhog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a new 800gs, and will soon perform a catectomy. Have been told that this is where you get good return in ponies, has anyone got data, before and after results?
  19. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Ask this guy, from earlier in this thread

20. Airbornexts912

Airbornexts912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a remus headpipe and a akro slip on.....:clap :wink: seemed to help midrange power and sounds GREAT!!