Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Thanks. At least they know of the problem (deleting BirdsEye Imagery from the GPS while connected to BaseCamp deletes it from BaseCamp as well).

And yes, when you connect to the Net like I do via Satellite Broadband (with Data Limits), having to do this is not cost effective.

Cheers,
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I like seeing the temperature display on my Montana!

[​IMG]

Considering how often my wife asks me over the intercom what the temperature is, she might end up with a Tempe on her own soon.
  3. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but we should move this thread to Here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703705
    Let this thread remain Montana bound :D
  4. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    Dan, thanks for the Montana-->SM10 review and gap list. I purchased the Scala G9 headset earlier this summer which says supports the adv audio dist profile (A2DP). I've been wanting to hear Montana Jill on occasion, and the SM10 just may be the missing link to go from wired to wireless device.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Probably the most important aspect of a GPS for me. Tracks are fine if I'm just smelling the flowers and taking in the scenery. But if I'm doing a serious pace, the last thing I need to be doing is staring down at a GPS.
  6. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    This makes sense, after all the Adventures I think are meant to be created from a trip to share with people who have the same interests, and not so much created in Basecamp to plan a trip although obviously it can be done that way.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Forget for a moment that Adventures were created as a sharing media and Tracks are the universal path sharing data. Let's look at what can be placed in an Adventure when it is created in BaseCamp (where all Adventures are created). If one can place Routes in an Adventure that would indicate that one wanted to share that Route along with the Track(s) and other data. Considering that all of the Garmin GPS's that support Adventures also support Routing than it only makes sense that Routing be included in the Adventure management on the units. Why make it confusing - is the first point. And, why not make Routing a first-class player in the Adventure experience on the GPS - is the second point.

Cheers,
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

Well, the biggest issue being that routes are so mapset dependent. Maybe if Garmin actually put some effort forward in creating actual WORKING algorithms that would recalculate routes intelligently across different mapsets this wouldn't be an issue. I agree with you 100% that it would be nice to see this work. I was playing around with a route today that a buddy sent me. He created it on 2010.10 and when I try to recalculate it and then reshape it while using 2013.20 I can't get it to route the same. I know all the roads he's got routed STILL exist because I've ridden on them plenty. It's seriously frustrating that the algorithm is so flawed that it actually creates U turns rather then following the logical path simply because I changed the version of the mapset.
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I agree completely on the Routing algorithm point: all of the newer Garmin GPS's use the same one. I was hoping that the Activity Profile XML data would enable this and reduce/eliminate the strict dependance on Map versions for newer Garmin units anyway. So far that has not been implemented.

Also, don't forget that all of the "dependancies" are eliminated with Direct Routing.

Cheers,
  10. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a Montana but am wondering about the mounting options.

Anyone know if the touratech locking mount can stand up to rough off-roading and trail conditions?
  11. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ready to pull the trigger.
    Good price at REI plus 20% member discount on any item plus my member refund = great buy.

So a bit of clarifcation, please;
    1) Which Topos are non routable?
    2) Are any of the Topos routable?

As I understand 100k Topo are non routable.
    24k Topo are routable.
    Is this correct? (I want non-routable Topo maps so I can create direct line mixed mode routes in Basecamp)

The "t" version comes with 100k Topo maps pre-installed.
    These will be non-routable.
    Correct???
  12. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    I have the 100K topos and they are NON routeable........................don't know about the 24K topos thou.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I heard REI's 20% off is not available for gps units.

And just because a map is routable doesn't mean it forces you to use it that way.
  14. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Can only say my 650t is in a Touratech locking mount on my K1200GT, hope to also set it up for mounting on my 530EXC. Quality piece of gear, IMO.
  15. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't remember this happening when I updated from 2012.4 to 2013.1. All my routes were created on 2013.1 or earlier, some way back in Mapsource. Now, with 2013.2 on the unit, when I choose a route, I get an error message that the route will not exactly follow the map, do I want to recalculate? When I hit yes, it says no routable maps in this area and kicks me back to the map with no route. (Or No, either way)

I haven't tested with all routes, direct or not, older than CNNA or not, yet. Perhaps the answer is obvious, but this is stumping me. I hope I don't have to go back and re-create several hundred routes!!
    :kboom

EDIT: Perhaps I didn't actually use a route, but instead a recent find, i.e. a town 60 miles away I often go to for lunch. So I did a Where To?-Cities-spelled out the name, hit go, it routed normally. So now I look in recent finds, there are two Stanleys, one exhibits the above behavior, the one I just created routes normally. One test of an old route seems to work, so perhaps all that is necessary is to remember to clear the recent finds list when updating CNNA. More testing required. Perhaps when I last updated the map, I never used a recent find until the old finds from the previous CNNA had scrolled way down and were no longer visible. The Montana saga continues......
  16. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course you will!!!!

This is how Garmin works.

I love their hardware, but their software engineers are the worst in the industry.
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I don't agree - often the reason they can't keep software working as it was in the past is that there's a better way or something more they're adding in the new software. They aren't doing anything just to piss owners off. So if you need to rejig your routes, well, there's probably a good reason for it.

It's too bad for people who've got so much time invested in routes created with maps which have been updated, but I don't think that kind of thing can be avoided. IMHO of course.
  18. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't only referring to routes.

I am thinking more about the dozens and dozens of glitches included with each GPSr firmware update, and an absolute lack of useful functions/controls with their PC/MAC software. It's almost as if none of Garmins engineers actually use their own products.

Of course, that is just my opinion.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There may be "dozens of glitches included with each firmware update" but this is only of interest if you're keeping count or they affect you directly. I can't think of one which affects me right now. I'm very happy with my Montana and 62S. Basecamp could be easier to use, but it still is better than anything else in the consumer gps industry.
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky you!

Quite a few glitches/bugs currently prevent me from using my Montana as intended.

I don't agree.

Have you used TopoFusion?

Much easier to use, and far more powerful than BaseCramp.... I still use it, but Garmin deliberately programmed BaseCramp to be incompatible with *.GPX files created by any other software title, so if I want to use the very advanced editing capabilities of TopoFusion, I can forget importing into BaseCramp after.