beta 80 - thinking about getting one for my kid'o

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Hypermofo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hypermofo

Hypermofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my son's been riding for a few years now, started out on a crf 50 around the yard. As he grew and gained skills and confidence I modded the bike to grow with him - now it's an 88 with +2 upgraded suspension and what not. But he's out grown it again size and skill wise. This weekend we went for a trail ride and he was taking some pretty tough trails for an 8yo (and well, his dad too, must have been the heat :D ) and he was really struggling with the small wheels (has a 12in on front) and centripetal clutch on some of the rougher terrain and hills.

The next logical step trail bike wise would be a KX or KTM 65 though they are still a little tall for him. But I'm thinking about putting him on a trials bike instead, probably an 80, for a few reason. Let me know if my logic is sound:
    - I think a trials bike will foster good skill development
    - Though able to handle tougher/rougher terrain it won't necessarily be a lot faster (good in dad's book, those 65's haul...)
    - He's not really into racing, though he does tend to "rush" and not slow down to assess obstacles (he's 8, right) and I would like him to practice slowing down and problem solving
    - I've seen him starting to sit down and "paddle" - no seat will help avoid those habits
    - He's outgrown the "yard" and a trials bike would allow me to keep a smaller space interesting
    - Dad really wants one too:evil

Trials bike wise it seems like an 80 would be right for him but i'm not sure about the 17/19 or 18/21 wheel size. Are the bike's the same otherwise? Unfortunately we don't have a dealer local to us (ATL) and I haven't seen one in person. Can any one contrast them to a KX65 or KLX110 or XR100 size wise? Any other thoughts I should consider?

Let me know what the trials collective thinks...

Thanks,

Rodney
  2. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a GasGas dealer listed in Kennesaw,Gassers are fine bikes.Trials dealers don't often keep alot of stock on hand,not very many trials bikes are sold new each year.
    I would advise calling up the Trials Training Center,They aren't far from you,see if they have something in your son's size.Then maybe a purchase/training session could be set up so he starts off with the proper habits. Maybe they'll have something for dad too. Used is likely just fine for starters. If you want him to have a new bike he'll be able to handle a full size 125 trials bike way before he's be comfortable on a 80cc race bike.

Or go to a Southeast Trials Riders event,there you will be able to see the biggest variety of small bikes.Trials riders are a friendly bunch and are always willing to help out interested potential new riders.
    http://www.stratrials.com/styled/code-2/page3.html
  3. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Las Cruces,NM (yes we speak english here)
    I looked at this when my son was out growing his ttr50. When we looked at the 80 trials bike with the smaller wheels it seemed very large. With the mods you have made your 50 may be about the size of a ktm 65. The smaller 80 trials bikes are about the size of a ktm65 (weight, wheelbase, not seat height) while the larger wheel bike is very close to a full size trials bike just a little bit shorter. I would think that the smaller wheel 80 may be just about right and if it is too big then look at a gasgas 50boy or an OSET20.

I would second the advise to contact the TTC as I am sure that they would have several bikes they own or are around being ridden that you could look at/ride. I also would encourage you to locate and join your local club.

Riding the 50 your son has learned to twist the throttle and go fast which is what you don't want him to do with a trials bike. If he is anything like my son that will be a bit of a transition for him and you. He may also find clutch control to be a bit of a challenge.

Best of Luck in your search.
  4. larryk

larryk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 years old is a little small for an 80 trials bike. You would definitely want the smaller wheels at first.
    I've been through this with my son. We had a 2005 Beta 80, excellent kids bike but a handful for an 8 yr. old. (however an 8 yr. old "DUDE" could handle it, depends on the kid.) We also put the smaller wheels on it, but still not a small bike.

I'm in Paulding county and we ride trials on a regular basis if you want to hook up with us. You can try my bike but I can't help you with a kids bike, mine is sixteen now so I'm done with mini bikes.

Going to an event is a great place to check out bikes and get a ride on one.
    There is a club event in Alabama on September 22. Check out the STRA website for a flyer
    Trials Training Center is solid advice also

PM me - we will probably ride this weekend if it's not pourin' rain.
  5. Hypermofo

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the input - TTC is on my list and I agree some training on the proper technique is the right approach to start things off correctly. However I hadn't thought of checking for a local club - so thanks for pointing me in that direction. Sounds like a small wheel 80 would be the way to go, even if a little big at first - I'm sure he'd out grow a 50 yesterday.

Larryk - thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in the loop on where we end up. It's always great to get to ride with other folks...
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Dad`s we all wish our son the best as far as riding ability, bike size and will to ride and improve. At 8 yrs old any modern 80 is too big to do any serious trials or trails. The boys just do no have the strenghth and stamina to move the larger than they are bikes yet. The 50`s are worthless with the auto clutch.
    The best bike at this level is the old ty80. It is easy to start, gear it lower (11 and 48?) and then the clutch is not the issue. It will go up any trail period. The kid will be more confident and when he is really ready buy a modern 80. Just been through this roller coaster. My son is now 14, 6`4 180lbs and rides my 300 Raga.
  7. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 with above. The TY can be ridden for a couple of years and you can sell it for darn near what you paid for it if you keep it up.

I havent seen a OSET 20 yet, But that may fill the void for small kids as well.
  8. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:

Lineaway, are you talking about the full sized 80's (21/18)? My boy is 4'7" and eight years old (I'm 6'6"). I thought the smaller wheel 80's (19/17 I think), might work for him (I was looking at the GG model). He's a beast and trains five days a week for BMX racing. But, I don't want daddy to buy to much Ike for him. I have a TY 80 that he will finally start to play around with soon. But, trying to figure out the next bike for him. Especially since it will take time to find and pay for.
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The gasgas 80 was my son`s 5th bike. For a younger rider it has too little low end power, takes too much clutch work, and the brakes work too good. It is a good bike for an up and coming rider, but the timing has to be right with his size and skill level. Let him beat the ty 80 to a pulp before he moves up. Just remember to lower the gearing on the 80 quite a bit from stock. The last one we had would pull my 200lbs up most any trail. I sure like how much time your son has on the pedal bike. :clap My wife has dragged my son around to all the sports, football,basketball, track, karate and left me with just the trials weekend with my son if I`m lucky.:1drink
  10. Garthe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info lineaway. Seals the deal on the TY. Aidan will be riding his trials bicycle, for at least the rest of the season. I will use the TY, for his play around bike at the camp site. I want to keep him on the bicycle, for as long as possible.

The hole team sport thing, just didn't work out for him. I felt guilty about it for awhile, but, I've gotten over it. My wife rides, so she total understands.

I gotta go work on this bmx race bikes now, we're looking for win # 20 tonight. 'Expert' is right around the corner...
  11. Garthe

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here's a photo of Aidan when he first got the TY (thanks chris). I think, he was six. Seems so long ago...
  12. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth here.

Aiden is building a very solid foundation.

I suggest that you buy a beater TY-80 and keep this one on your mantle.
    [​IMG]

Back to OP. A trials motorcycle will develop all the basic habits early and is the genisis of
    motor skilz. As he learns to ride the trial bike and has a solid background in clutch, throttle, brakes and balance;
    he can ride a Harley or Ducati well. Throw a cheap trials bicycle in the bag of tricks, win. Parents role,
    facilitate a guided discovery.
  13. Garthe

Oddometer:
    Aidan got win # 20 tonight...and 2nd in Cruiser. Ice cream, always tastes better, after a win.
  14. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

Awesomeness!! :clap:clap:clap
  15. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    That boy, young man, looks more than ready. as long as he keeps smileling.
    It looks like he wont be long on the Ty 80.
  16. Hypermofo

Oddometer:
    Just checked in on my thread and was surprised to see all the other posts - thanks guys for the input and dialog. I didn't even think about an older bike as an option - will look into that...
  17. Woodduck

Woodduck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just upgraded my 8yr old from a TTR50 he was too big for to a Gas Gas50 and he loves it. Youngest isn't interested and was keeping the ttr for him, but not any more.

It has slowed him down, he was getting itchy for flat out in third and I'd already clocked him at over 50kph following him on my Beemer. Mind you as we learnt last weekend the 2 spd gas gas can keep up, but I get to select gears, not him (love that feature).

He's exhausted from the trials bike vs the MX for the same amount of riding time and has so much more skill to his riding with the trials. Even better he loves it. Washed it twice already in only a few weeks by himself. Lucky we have a farm and its school holidays now, so he'll be getting heaps of hours in creeks, rocks and hills over the next week and a bit.
  18. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005 Beta 80 for sale, like new condition, $2300, also have 2 TY 80's for sale, $600 each.