2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    True. If a rider were trying to decide between a Sertao and a Terra, then 5 hp is probably less significant a factor in deciding between the two. However, for anyone deciding between a Terra and one of the Japanese bikes (KLR, DR, or XRL) then the difference is substantial (mid 30s versus high 40s - the Terra has around 33% more hp). Heck, even a KLR 685 puts outs substantially less hp than a stock Terra.

Good point on the weight. Weight isn't likely to be a significant factor in choosing between the 2 bikes since the weights are so similar. That being the case would you advise riders to put more emphasis on suspension, braking, and other important handling characteristics when comparing the KLR to the Terra?

Is the stock luggage rack on the KLR confirmed to be "much more robust"? Have there been reports from owners of breakage or significant limitations with the Terra rack? If this is indeed the case I think lack of robustness of the rack would be a significant factor for many riders.

Agreed - If you modify the KLR but not the Terra, then it is probably that you can get the KLR closer to the stock weight of the Terra. Is it fair to limit the modifications to the KLR only? Once you start modifying and farkling, then shouldn't you make similar mods to both bikes in order to make a fair and reasonable comparison?
  2. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Ed@Ford....I'm guessing you have not ridden a Terra. Is that correct?

You're in for a BIG surprise!

HF :thumbup
  3. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    If "left over" KLRs can be had today for $3999 then it makes the KLR a lot more compelling. I guess the question is how many "left over" KLRs are available at $3999 - can you get one at pretty much any Kawasaki dealer today?
  4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not ridden one. The MI dealer I bought my 610 from is long since gone...and was over 2 hours away...and was a poor dealer anyway. I'm sure I would be massively surprised, because my most recent surprise was Mark Sampson (aka "BigDog") bought one and is in love with it as a replacement for his KLR and $$ KTM. His opinion and subsequent purchase is a mighty hig endorsement of the machine. BUT, as I said, having had a BMW F650 Dakar, and a Husky 610, and currently having an '09 KLR, everything I have read, including the ECU issues, weight, & power, says the 685 KLR I have will not be replaced soon.
  5. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    I probably wouldn't replace a fully farkled and modified KLR685 with a stock Terra.

What is your advice for those who don't currently own a full farkled & modified KLR and are trying to decide between purchasing a new KLR or a new Terra?
  6. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet he'd be surprised too...

I owned the latest model KLR650, an 08 for two years...I liked the torquey engine, but not much else. Very top heavy - undersprung, but, for me, the worst was the hiway - it just didn't have the balls to cruise at higher speeds. The Terra has the torquey engine but keeps on reving - hiway speeds are easy and I feel secure on the bike in traffic. That engine is miles above the KLR, IMO.
    The fun factor wasn't there either - the Terra has a great fun factor - crap, you ever try to wheelie a KLR? It can be done, but violent pilot input required...LOL...

The suspension? The Terra has well-sprung cartridge USD forks and a firm shock with rebound adjustment - feels very good to me

How about an 18 inch rear tire size?

Aftermarket companies are scrambling to make skid plates, luggage, etc.

Hey, if a cheap-skate like me will spring for a Terra, so will a LOT of other people...Husky has a hit on their hands, I think.:D

PS, the ECU stalling issue is a problem only on the first release bikes - mine was a second-shipment and runs perfectly, which is the same I'm hearing from everyone else. Not only that, but the first release bikes that do have a problem only need to have the ECU recalibrated at the dealer...Husky has already got the download upgrade dialed-in.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's just defending his ride and trying to rationalize picking a KLR over the new Terra. My buddies ride 2010 KLR's. They like them and seem to be able to go most fire roading places, plus they travel long distances very well. One even has a nifty Recluse clutch. Nice practial motorcycles. But this new Terra seems to be a decent upgrade all around.
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Has anyone checked what the replacement parts for the BM/H are Terra priced at?

After owning a KLR I purchased a 640 at roughly a 40% higher showroom price... What I did notice was that the OEM replacement parts for the 640 were not 40% higher, in fact a lot of the parts were much cheaper... Most 640 engine related stuff ran around the same price or cheaper, plastics for the 640 were cheaper as well as quite a bit of the everyday wear items... The 640 suspension components were much higher priced...

I'm curious that when it comes to buying replacements will you pay the BMW price or the Husky price?
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Very nice pictures K1W1!

The air filter swap is a trivial exercise. It's on the front of the right fairing. Three torx head screws, pull out old, push in new, replace. 5 minute exercise. Does take a bit of finesse to get around a cable bundle, but once you've done it the first time it's very easy.

The service manual calls for valve checks every 10,000km, 6,000 miles. See post #1059 for more maintenance details.

The fuel fill appears to be a disaster, but turns out it's the easiest bike I've ever owned, even with vapor recovery crap on the pump. You stick it in, squeeze, wait for click, it's full. I'm on my 11th tank. Other rides report similar experiences. Oregon dropped the vapor recovery requirement, although some stations in Portland still have them. Just hold it back while your squeezing.
  10. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still don't quite "get" the wings. Do they serve any purpose? i.e. covering electrical components, coolant overflow, etc. When I saw the bike in person, I thought they looked pretty vulnerable.

I know these are called redheads, but to pick nits, the head isn't red. The valve cover is.

I've been riding a BMW for so long, that a self retracting stand wouldn't bother me, even though I had my beemer fall on me in the Yukon one time when the stand retracted unbeknownst to me.
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, if you had been following Big Dog's work on the Terra the obvious thing was the total lack of "farkels" for the Terra, unlike the KLR that has 20 or 30 years to develope accessories, luggage etc. My KLR is a 685 because even though it's an '09, it deveoped an oil consumption issue, and the big bore was a solution. A WONDERFUL improvement that comes with the KLR big bore that is unappreciated...till you get it done...is the lightweight piston, and reduced vibration. Supposedly the Terra has a lighter piston and is similarly smooth compared to the older 650 BMW's. My 650 Dakar was smoother than my 93 KLR, but about the same as the '09 before the big bore. So Terra is at a disadvantage if you want to "accessorize", but appears to be very smooth for a 650 single. And...of course....EFI is nice....generally has better fuel economy....but there are other folks who DON'T want EFI over a well rejetted carburetor. So..again..priority...choices...
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    How sure of this are you?
  13. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing that suprised me about the MCN test was the fuel mileage. They got 54.9/32.4/46.1 high/low/avg.

I went back and looked up what they got on the Sertao they tested in the March 2012 issue: 71.6/49.6/63.7.

I know the Husky is hot rodded and different time of year/temps, but I was still suprised at the size of the difference.
    46.1 mpg x 3.57 only gives a range of 164 miles.
  14. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
  15. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Never seen a "redhead" woman with a red head either...just her hair/top of her head, but we're ok with that, right?:deal
  16. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    BMW specs the Sertao at 74MPG @ 55MPH. Husky says over 55MPG on their website. In their product announcement blurb Husky said 73MPG @ 56mph, and 55MPG @ 75 mph.

My real world average over 1300 miles on my Strada, using pump readings and the stock uncorrected odometer has been 49.6 MPG. I'm 6'4 / 275, so I present a fair amount of both surface area and mass.
  17. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    True - the Terra is a new model and, of course, the amount of aftermarket accessories available today don't even come close to matching what is available for the KLR. On the other hand, a number of the model specific accessories for the KLR (doohickey, 685 kit, larger brake rotors, etc) are designed to improve known deficiencies and weaknesses of the KLR and, presumably, won't be necessary for the Terra.

I guess if there were some aftermarket accessory that a rider absolutely had to have but the accessory had to be specifically designed for the Terra and wasn't currently available, then it would make sense for that rider not to buy a Terra. Is there some "must have" accessory that will be required by most riders that simply isn't available now, nor likely to become available, for the Terra?
  18. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ The way I see it. Tank bag, soft side tail bags on any dual sport I ever owned or took on multi day trips. None were model specific.

Then you get into a better seat, exhaust, wind protection. All that is user preference be it a wal mart gel cover or a Renzaco.

For the $$ you can hardly look past the Terra if you are in the market for any of the 3 Jap offerings MSRP to MSRP
  19. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    As sure as word-of-mouth can be, LOL. I haven't seen a study done on Husky ECU problems yet, but hopefully we can get one soon. Seriously, at my dealer the first shipment bike had the stall issue, mine was second shipment and did not. I've read several reports by owners with similar experience.
  20. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    There were first shipment bikes that reported no stalling. The other key bit of data, at least in my case, and my dealers demo case, is that first shipment bikes that have their ECU reset/updated etc. with the dealer computer are transformed into new bikes with no stall, no stumble etc.