XT1200Z: The new WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Wasp, Jul 2, 2010.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Try it on Vimeo, you can do longer videos there. Your first one was so boring, I would like to be bored some more please :thumb
  2. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    All right.
    I broke it into two sections... Well three actually - I put the fall on one short clip which I will load up first.
    All three clips are uploading to youtube now so I hope I will be able to link them here soon.

It is obviously just incorrect settings but unfortunately the clips went from 1280x720 to 720x480... I hope it does not impact too greatly on the quality?? I can always upload them again later when they are edited.

Meanwhile I will look into the vimeo thing. Thanks G.B

Greg.
  3. Baillsy

Baillsy Lets ride

Oddometer:

Pics arent my forte on here, but trust me, its here and alive. How easy are these S10s to ride. Picked it up Saturday lunch time and out for a ride and then went for a rde again yesterday. Love it and my BMW mates are impressed.:clap
    I sold the 640 Graham to help fund this purchase. I now need a 600 tenere to help with the collection.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Greg,

The S10 has a dry sump, how's the oil change procedure done? Is there a separate oil tank that needs to be drained and if so, how accessible is it? On a previous bike with a dry sump. you had to empty the tank by attaching a rubber hose and then open a nipple, empty the tank, then empty what's left in the engine.. and access to the tank required removing body panels.. I'm hoping the S10's oil change is simpler..

any ideas?
  5. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Well it's quite a nifty solution, it *is* dry sump, but the oil is still in the sump, in its own compartiment, so the crank doesnt whir it to foan as whit the TX750 :-)

The Drainplug is just where you expect it to bem under the gearbox, so the mass of the oli is in the lowest place psooible, but just behind the crank not under it...
  6. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the manual. Couldn't be much simpler. The only cowling to be removed is whatever it is that covers the oil filter.

1.Place the vehicle on a level surface.
    2.Start the engine, warm it up for several minutes, and then turn it off.
    3.Place an oil pan under the oil tank to collect the used oil.
    4.Remove the engine oil filler cap, the drain bolt and its gasket to drain the oil from the oil tank.
    5.Place an oil pan under the engine to collect the used oil.
    6.Remove the engine oil drain bolt and its gasket to drain the oil from
    the crankcase.

I'm not clear from the manual how the oil tank is set up, but from the pics it looks like it's under the engine. Can someone confirm?

Trevor
  7. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks RB3, answered my question before I asked it!
  8. Olirider

Olirider Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Here is the savage fall that was suffered on Saturdays ride.
    Dont watch if you are squeamish,, there's limbs and body (motorcycle) panels flying everywhere:lol3.

Well, you couldn't really can it a fall, more like the ground wasn't where I thought it was when I went to dab my foot in the middle of the rain washout.

The bike went down very soft and was surprisingly easy to stand back upright... Apart from the fact that it had to roll a bit backwards before it could right its self.

There was no damage to the bike as it seamed to have laid on the engine protection bars and handlebars, even though the bike looks like it was sort of rocking on the radiator cover panel in the vid???

Sorry but these vids have reduced down to 720x480 or something like that.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M7CBL2wBuxo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Greg.
  11. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    A picture to confirm R3B and dcstrom's version of events.

[​IMG]

Greg.
  12. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Cam was mounted on the R/H engine crash bar using one of these clamps (top left corner) http://camzilla.com.au/
    good value and a great kit.

[​IMG]

Greg.
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you turn the hazard flashers on OR is that another Obiwan freaky thing where the YAMAHA just knows what to do?:lol3

Doesn't look too hard to pick up that is for sure.

Cheers
    Graham
  14. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    That's what amazed me.Generally with bikes of this heft i thought I'd be giving him a hand particularly when you see the front wheel above the bike and the rest of it in a trough.The reported weight does not seem to be a massive burden on this bike?

If anyone is in the market for a 1lt ADV bike, they would be doing themselves a disservice not to at least take one of these for a ride.
  15. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Nah, I must have just nudged the flasher hazard button when I was picking the bike up.

Greg.
  16. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    pfft... I had to park my bike and go and help you back on yours... Rolling around laughing at me:cry.

Greg.
  17. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar off on my 650 V-Strom a while back. Put my foot down, nothing there but a pile of leaves I thought was solid ground. Nope, there was a gutter there and over we went. Bike ended up laying on it's side, past horizontal. Man that was a bitch to pick up. I'm not a small guy but I really had to get strategic before I could get it up. For the record, the Wee is about ****100lbs lighter**** than the S10. It's obvious from the way you're able to pick it up, and from my short test ride in Paris, that the way it carries it's weight makes a huge difference, both in the ride and occasions when it has to be manhandled.

I like my Vee and Wee but after riding the S10 I realize just how top heavy they are.

That earlier vid Greg, bombing up the power line track... I'd never go close to that fast on either of the Stroms, due to the lack of ground clearance, crap suspension and, I now realise, the high C-of-G. Also not quite as gung-ho as you!

BTW, did you do your roadracing in Perth? I did some there, and in Adelaide, late 70' early 80's. I'd be surprised if we hadn't crossed paths at some point...

I'm getting more and more frustrated about not being able to get the S10 in the US - read my latest effort, at the bottom of the page http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588052&page=8

Trevor
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    They certainly seem a bit clueless over there regrads that segment.:huh

Maybe you could provide a link to the S10 threads on this site, and baby sit them a bit until they get it. (and then hand them an invoice for services rendered :evil)

Cheers
    Graham
  19. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    Mate. I wasn't laughing. I had an OH Shit, that's the radiator side moment.
    And its good to see that the Crash bars/Handle bars and pegs are the only things that touch down
  20. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just on the Radiator subject, What exactly is protecting it apart from the plastic piece?

I seem to remember R3B saying something about the protection and its ability to move, but since there were no pics and I'm a bit simple I didn't quite get it.

Cheers
    Graham