The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
  2. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Finishing up xr first
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    This needed a freaking bump anyway.:evil

You never know when you need pre 09 Husaberg info.
  4. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure mine is complete so its just a matter of $$$$$ send a few pieces out to be checked at engine shop. Replate on cylinder. Blast frame repaint. Reassemble
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Easy peasy!
  6. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Still riding my '05 on a regular basis. Had an overheating issue. Turned out to be (I think) a rad cap. Put in a higher pressue one off a newer KTM, new coolant with water wetter. All better.

Since I've been riding more slower technical trails lately I dropped the CS sprocket one tooth and found some rad guards that are less obstructive. It's way happier at slower speeds now.

The original battery just crapped out. Not bad after 6 years of abuse. Put in a Shorai, man what a difference! Cranks over much faster. Still lovin my 650.

[​IMG]
  7. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to figure this out. My FX470e has been on the stand waiting for me to split the cases to check the piston. Is it really easier? Granted I'm doing it to also make the counterbalancer upgrade, but what is the advantage to this design? This will be the first time really tearing into this bike and it's making me long for a 2-stroke as I'm contemplating the thought of doing it. :cry

BTW - I love this bike when it's running. It's got all of the upgrades done except the counterbalancer. Last time it was running it just quit though and now it has low compression. Leakdown test didn't really show much. I'm suspecting a valve.
  8. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Take that water wetter out of that bike, it will eat the Teflon in the water pump housing and tear your bearing seal apart.

Just run the Honda 50/50 coolant and a generic overflow bottle.
    Add a fan if you don't have one and you'll be just fine.

9. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

my '96 fe501 . Was the most fun ever !!! Finally ran out of valve adjustment after a couple years. I bought it used and had no idea how many hours were on it. Bergs are badassed for sure. The headlight and taillight had been removed by the previous owner.
  10. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was speaking of general maintenance and getting to things. Guess I should have been more specific. I've never had to go inside the engine on any of the XR650Rs I've owned or the FE650.
  11. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    No problem. I was hoping I was missing something and you were going to help me regain my faith. :lol3
  12. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright guys I more than likely will be picking up a '98 FE600 e-start bike. It looks to be in decent shape however the electric start system needs help. From what the guy says it sounds like the drive gears are gaunched. No matter, I'll fix it.
    What do I need to be aware of with this engine? Husaberg.org has lots of info for the '01-'08 bikes but not so much for the older bikes. Any tips or tricks with these?

Oh, this bike is Ca. plated. :evil:clap
  13. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone? :ear
  14. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Im no expert but it was something like up to 96 or 97 they had no internal oil pump to bring oil to the head so some complained taht they toasted heads too easy others say its fine as long as yo change oil as required. 97 or 98 they put an oil pump and filter to get oil to top end and the bikes were pretty much solid until they redid them in 01. I think stator failure is fairly common. Just post up on husaberg.org they a real friendly bunch of guys over there
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks kenny. I'm a member on husaberg.org and have searched but so far not much info on these years. I had an '05 FE650 when I started this thread (I finally sold it like an idiot) and there's tons of info for the '01-'08 bikes.
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Yeah. at first I thought it was that nobody knew anything about the older bikes. Now I think its just that they dont really have any problems other than norml wear and tear. Key fact is keeping up on maintenance
  17. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother bought a '95 FE501 back in '96. The bike was used but only just a little. He put a couple hundred hours on it and never had a problem. A few years ago I built up an '03 frame with the engine from the '95 and it ran great for a few more years. Then I smacked it into a rock and broke the brazed joint between the shift shaft and the little fork that engages the shift star on the shift drum. I eventually got that brazed back together and rode it for a few more months. Then I was riding it on a steep single track trail in Nevada where I got airborn and shifted down from 2nd to 1st while in the air. The transmission locked up and I can't get it to shift out of whatever false-neutral hell it's in now. I have to imagine that the two tranny issues are related and, thus, rider-induced. Then I swapped that engine out for the FC600 engine that's in the bike currently. That engine was extremely hard to start until I discovered that the stator was failing. Now it starts extremely easily (with an FCR40 carb that's jetted properly). I always keep the valves adjusted and the air filter clean.

So, to summarize, the old engines appear to be very reliable with the exception of the stator. Motoplat UK can fix that for ya. See husaberg.org for specifics.
  18. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Hey Kenny,,,,,,,,,,,,:ksteve

[​IMG]
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  20. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Hunh!:huh