The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Are these not available for the '012 model year in the US? I was looking at KTMs US site and no mention of the SMT or SMR.
  2. k1973

k1973 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ If I had to make a guess I'd say they are late just like the 2011's were. Dealers in my area did not start getting the 2011's in until late May thru July. And with many Dealers still having 2010's on their lots, I wouldn't be surprised if KTM dropped the US numbers or even skip a model year for the US.
  3. Mack McNamara

Mack McNamara CroftsMan

Oddometer:
    Really like the bike in this color! :thumb
  4. Poucher

Poucher Durham UK

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

So a few months ago I actually went for a test ride on one from my local dealer :-

[​IMG]

2011 model SMT demo bike with ABS as standard.

So I rode this bike with a critical eye and specifically looking for problems with the fuelling.
    Wow! [​IMG] to say that I was impressed was a bit of an understatement, the first 6 miles or so were through a built up area and the bike would pull 4th gear at 30mph and about 2,800 revs without any problem and then pick up smoothly from there.
    Out onto a short stretch of dual carriageway and the bike would cruise very steadily at whatever speed you picked, no "hunting" or snatching, also the pickup out of slow corners and roundabouts was seamless, nice and smooth, no lurching at all - I was totally surprised at how smooth this big twin was.
    When you opened the stops it went like the clappers, made a lovely "bellow" as it revved through to 9,000 rpm, definately not short of go and don't forget, I was comparing this to the Fireblade I'd just rode up to the dealers on.
    The instant accelleration combined with the tall riding position ( a novelty being able to see over hedges! ) and lovely bump absorbing suspension made this probably just as quick or even quicker point to point than the Fireblade.

So I took it back to the dealers, and the week after took this home :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A hardly used 2011 ABS example with 1,700 miles on it, saved a grand over a new one, £8,600 it cost me, still with almost 2 yrs warranty on it, always fancied a white one! [​IMG]
    I'm dead impressed with it, ( as you can tell by the Gormless grin on my face! ) tweaked the suspension to the sport settings given by KTM on a label under the seat and this thing really goes well around the twistys.
    Did a 280 mile run on it last Sunday mixed riding conditions, a bit of everything, including full throttle runs through the gears, it flies when you give it the berries! and it was returning just over 40 mpg, I'd read they were a bit thirsty, would have preferred mid - 40s, but I can live with this, fuel light comes on at about 130 miles, but still has around 4 litres in the tank when I re-fill it.
    And the riding position is just perfect for me, no more aching wrists and shoulders, just a tad of buffeting from the screen which I should be able to sort out later but its not too bad.
    I've got it over 6,500 miles now and I've just worn out a set of Pilot Road 3's on it, really good tyres.

Its a great bike loving riding it more and more :D
  5. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice shoes, must be a SMT owners thing, nice bike too BTW.

Attached Files:

6. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sad as this is a pretty awesome bike.
  7. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
  8. Trans4ormer

Trans4ormer B to V 1983

Oddometer:
    Hello...new to this forum and hoping to discover, via the search function and the asking of questions, everything needed to make an informed decision for my next bike purchase. I've tried the Harley scene, the custom V-Twins and just sold my Goldwing with heavily modified suspension...can't get away from my off-road heritage and am now looking for a motard style bike for riding the great twisty roads of the Arkansas Ozarks. My last KTM's were a 1981 250mx and a 1982 495mx that I raced in the SoCal Desert 37 events...yes, I'm older, but still enjoy a brisk ride.

The 990 SMT seems to be along the lines of what I'm looking for, Ducati and Aprilia dealers are few and far between in this part of the country and I know first hand the quality of the KTM equipment. Any advise/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
  9. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I think you'd love it. I've had lots of bikes, but always gravitate towards v-twin sporty bikes. Been through:

'89 honda hawk 650 GT (v-twin)
    '98 Honda Superhawk 996 (v-twin)
    '08 Harley Street Rod (hated the riding position and suspension- sold in a month)
    '07 BMW R1200S (parallel twin)
    '08 KTM 690 SMC (still have it- but not very good on the highway or commuting distances)
    '07 Yamaha FZ1 (thought it would be a good all-rounder- didn't like the I-4 engine)
    '11 KTM 990 SMT (perfect bike)

The KTM is much like my old superhawk- 990cc v-twin, about 110hp, but it's lighter (423 pounds), top notch suspension, radial brembos, etc. Not only does it handle awesome and feel super light, but the suspension is PLUSH compared to my other bikes. It's great for nasty roads. It's a simple bike- but has the gadgets I like (clock and outside temp) and that's about it.
  10. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a ride on my SMT. I LOVE this bike.

My first video with my new Go Pro. (first time editing too :lol3)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7IH1Voe3hkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. Might have to give that a look or test ride this summer. Enjoy it.

12. CaptainFresca

CaptainFresca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    zimm, have you adjusted your suspension from the standard settings?
  13. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Nice video! I like the way your film shows the friskiness of the engine combined with the supple suspension. I can only dream :D

I won't be in the market for a good 2-3 years yet, but the Tiger XC and the SMT are the ones I aspire to.
  14. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Congrats!

I do like the colour-matched handguards, I guess I am that shallow :lol3
  15. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all.

I stopped lurking and joined adv just for this thread:) I'm pretty sure I really want an SMT (w/ abs, so 2011 or later), but I haven't been able to find one in person, and I'm hoping you can help.

I can't find any dealers anywhere near me that have one. Actually, after calling around a little, I haven't found any dealers on the east coast with an SMT, or that know when they will have one, period. Haven't had any luck finding a private sale used SMT nearby either. I live near Greensboro, NC. Any help finding a dealer with an SMT or a bike I can at least sit on anywhere in NC or VA would be great. Even info on dealers that have or will have an SMT anywhere on the east coast would be helpful.

If I decide the bike fits, I'm willing to go further away to get one, maybe even do a fly and ride. I just don't want to put that much effort in until I at least see one in person. Right now, I'm skeptical the SMT actually exists, and that the internet isn't just lying to me about this fantastic bike:). If you know of an SMT somewhere in the southeast US, please let me know!

Also, are they importing this thing for 2012 or not?

thanks!

(also, noob here, so sorry if this should be posted elsewhere (like a regional forum?).
  16. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Nope- standard is just fine for me
  17. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    No 2012 in the US as far I've seen on the internet. Search craigslist washington d.c.- dealer in woodbridge was a new 2010 for $10,499.
  18. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zimm. I search cycletrader and craigslist every now and then, but I haven't turned up anything. I also did another round of calling dealers in VA and NC today. No one has them,and most stated they don't have any on order, and won't be getting them. One dealer wants to order one, but doesn't move enough volume to meet the minimums from KTM, so he may not be able to get one.

Its too bad this bike isn't doing better. Looks like I missed the boat, at least for now. I didn't even know this bike existed until a few months ago, and by then it was too late. What little inventory was around is gone.

The dealer in Woodbridge still has a 2010, but it's sold, and leaving saturday. Cycle trader claims to have a 2012 for sale from a dealer in NY, but I called, and its a lie. They don't have one.

It seems that those that own this bike love them, and everyone else has never heard of it:)

The request stands: if you know of an SMT I can sit on, send me a message.
  19. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Try a national search engine for craigslist like "craigspal" and maybe you'll find a dealer out west who has one.
  20. dougpaw57

dougpaw57 Adventurer

Oddometer: