Gilt Edge...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Komet, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I went riding this afternoon...somewhat delayed after a comrade pulled a no-show...weather was really nice. Most days, if I have the time...I sort of plan my trips a bit...that is, I have a general destination. Today, I just went for an afternoon ride...maybe 150 or so miles. I left G-town and proceeded north through Fisherville and Eads, TN and hit SR 385 (four lane Paul Barrett Parkway). Getting off of the parkway at Millington, I proceeded north on US 51 until I got to Atoka and turned west on 178. I figured I would just ride and see where I ended up. Went through the small town of Munford and then went north on the twisty blacktop. This could have been a really nice route but there were so many driveways...folks are really moving into the country. I ended up in the town of Gilt Edge, Tennessee and stopped in fornt of city hall (actually, city trailer!).
    [​IMG]

I was really hungry and upon leaving the city hall south on SR 59, there was a little cafe so I stopped for a burger.
    [​IMG]

It was not a bad little place...small, but kind of rustic...
    [​IMG]

After I left, I still kept going south on 59 and turned off on the road to Randolph, TN. I didn't have a map with me ( and don't have one of those GP things...) so I went about 7 or 8 miles befor I realized I'd went to far. A farmer in a cotton field set me straight and I turned around. These roads were very twisty and scenic but were full of hidden driveways. This pic of a relatively straight section gives you an idea of the terrain.
    [​IMG]

I had seen a dead coyote and red fox in the roadway and was kind of worried about deer so I did slow it down a notch...Pulling into Randolph...I got my usual bike/forlorn house pic.
    [​IMG]

Randolph has almost disappeared but does have some history...
    [​IMG]

I had heard about the old Confederate powder magazine but it was getting dark and I did not have time to look for it...I went to the bluffs to take a smoke break and just enjoy the sunset on the Mississippi River...
    [​IMG]

Then I headed home in the dark. It got a little cool on the way home as all I was wearing was the Joe Rocket hot weather gear. I got turned around quite a bit today and should have really been more prepared map-wise. But I met a few friendly folks and had a good ride. It's really hard to head home when I'm riding Traveller. Nothing earth-shattering here...I just had a good time...just me and the bike. Cheers.
  2. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Oh, here's a little map of the general area...Gilt Edge is just above the red star.

Attached Files:

• ge4.jpg
      ge4.jpg
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
  3. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an adventure to me. Did the farmer have any daughters? How was the food at the cafe'?
    DD
  4. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    i stayed in ripley tenn. once,pig brains were offered on the menue
  5. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    nice
  6. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Looked like a nice ride Komet.

I went to our local bmw dealer yesterday to get a couple of tires and they had your bike, same color, on the floor. I gave it a sit and thought what a great choice of machines.

Many more miles to ya'!
  7. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Komet.
    I really like the Bike with forlorn house thing ya got going.
    keep it up.:thumb