Scorpa and Yamaha

Discussion in 'Trials' started by UtahGuido, Jun 28, 2012.

1. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In response to an inquiry as to the availability of a Scorpa SY125 a shop in California sent me this email reply: "...I need to change up my site. Unfortunately the 4t Scorpa's aren't avalible. Scopra (sic) isn't able to get the Yamaha motors anymore."

Is this true?
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is more like sherco probably could care less about yamaha motors.
  3. ivsforever

ivsforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Gas Gas Randonne 125 it has a Yamaha clone engine that looks just like the Scorpa engine
  4. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it available in the USA?
  5. Honda Rider

Honda Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish they made a 250cc version of that Randonne.
  6. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    I called the importer, ScorpaUSA. It's true, no more 4 strokes.
  7. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A guy that I rode an event with this spring who is a Yamaha nut told me that Yamaha got screwed by Scorpa so now they won't supply them with engines.... third hand information take it for what its worth......
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Never trust the French.:D
  9. Olirider

Olirider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooooooooooooo funny....:evil
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or Spanish for that matter...................
  11. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    The whole Yamaha -Scorpa deal got started with me because I've been reading up on the TY series of 4 stoke Scorpas and figured that would be a good bike for a wannabe noob at trials, and one who is progressing through his fifties and doesn't see heroic trials moves in his future. So I started checking around and found a 2010 TY 200 with the air cooled engine and an electric starter installed, and a few scratches, and no headlight because that's where the owner elected to mount the battery - for $4750. That seems kinda high to me and it's causing me conniptions to think about plunking down that much cash for this bike. But - they are rare, they don't make them anymore, the engine has a great rep, and it's the bike I want (or so I think).

I need advice. Would I be a bonehead for paying that much for that little Scorpa or would I be a bonehead for passing it up?
  12. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Anybody?
  13. Jeff_S2R1K

Jeff_S2R1K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way up in the hills among the evergreens.
    $4750 seems high. You could get a brand new GasGas Econo model for not too much more than that - when they're available. Or you could get a couple old twin shock TY250s.

I'm like you, I probably won't ever do a splatter up a 6 foot wall. I started out in my 40s on a GasGas 280. I went that route because all the research I did said they were the "snappiest." I like it because it has ample power to get me out of stupid situations I get myself into.
  14. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you love these bikes, then its worth it to you.

If you are doing all that just for a easy bike to start - I would get a beta 200. Would be a much easier bike to RIDE and easy to start as well - ok not as easy as pushing a button, but you wouldn't be lugging an extra 30 lbs around the rest of the day.
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    It would cost you more to build that bike than to buy it, I expect it's one of a kind.

I would ask lots of questions about the electric start conversion. I assume it's parts that were intended for a low compression 125. The 200 may be higher compresssion as welll as bigger displacement and could potentially be harder on starter parts.
  16. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. The e start I could take or leave - in fact it actually diminishes the value slightly because of the extra weight and having that battery stuck up on the number plate where I could mount an extra fuel bottle. I'd have to fix that by replacing it with a little LiFePo4 battery stuck someplace else. And that little Yamaha engine comes with an e start in some versions anywaay so it was a plug and play install I suspect. But it is sorta unique. What I really dig about these bikes though is that simple little air cooled engine stuck in a high end trials frame. Weighs 165 lbs, no premix, no special fuel requirements, no oil filter for cryin' out loud. That and nobody has a bad thing to say about them, except maybe having less ground clearance than most.

Oh well, it's my decision. If I end up with it I'll post a pic.
  17. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no trials expert, so take this for worth. I have ridden a Montesa 4RT quite a bit. They are very nice true competition trails bikes and do everything they are supposed to. The 4RT I ride belongs to my brother in law, it is an '05, and has proven to be very reliable/easy to live with and has not required any fussy maintenance.

I also recently bought an '02 Beta alp 200. It has a 200cc Suzuki motor. While it is a fun little trail bike, it is not a trails bike. It is too heavy and doesn't have required power. The gearbox is not really suited for trials either. I suspect the Yamaha 200 Scorpa would be much the same (although it is lighter than my Alp).

If you want a real 4 stroke trials bike - find a used 4RT and don't fear the modern high techness of it.
  18. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you want the electric starter? The 200 Yam four-stroke engine is a cold-blooded beastie in bikes like the XT and TW, but it would benefit far more from time spent jetting rather than a magic button, and battery/starter have to account for at least 15-20 lbs if not more. Unless you have some sort of physical reason why the e-button would enable you to ride whereas a kick-only would not, I'd say find something cheaper.

Edit: whoops, posted before reading the rest of the thread. BTW, we have a Scorpa Long Ride TY-S200F (actually smaller according to the embossed capacity on the jug), and the bike's main virtue is that it will chug through stuff that a two-stroker has to be worked through. But the cable-operated clutch has all kinds of slop in it and the steering lock sucks because of the bigger gas tank and limiting steering stem. Makes a good extreme single-track trail bike--great for following the upper class riders around on their loop (within reason). Bona fide trials suspension and brakes, and it's barely street-legal.
  19. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    The current owner broke his hip and couldn't kick start it. This one is the racing model with the hydraulic clutch and tubeless tires. But it's looking like the deal will probably fall through as I haven't heard back from him, and if I don't by tomorrow that's all she wrote.

Interesting that you have one ridenm. Thanks for the input.
  20. mmanniko

mmanniko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the owner, he has been in Canada for the Superstars trial with his granddaughter. He should be home in the next few days. He is old school with no cell phone. This weekend he will be at the youth national.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2