Holiday ideas (Seoul)

Discussion in 'Asia' started by KTM_Paul, Dec 4, 2011.

1. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Hi :D
    I'm going to have a few days in Seoul next year (April 26,27,28) with my partner and was looking for ideas on what to do? what are the "Touristy things" to do? I thought the Tunnel from North to South looked interesting, is it? and also where should I be looking for accommodation? when I look up Hotels they are all in districts, any particular district I should look for (or avoid)? we'll be relying on public transport.
    Thanks in advance for any help

Paul
  2. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Well this doesn't inspire me with confidence! not one person can suggest one place to visit in Seoul!? maybe we made the wrong decision doing a stopover there :huh
  3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    Hey man. Great place.I guess not a lot of Westerns have visited there compared to other places. I lived there for about a year. There is a ton of stuff to do there. Public transport is the way to go there. Clean, fast, and cheap. Some of the best available. You've got plenty of time to plan it out. You can do a lot in 3 days there. Heres some of the things most people like to do there.

The Korean Folk Village. Very interesting tradition stuff. http://visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264121

Head down to the Incheon Boardwalk. Its accessible by the subway and is the last or first stop on the line going into Seoul. There is a lot of food shops, vendors, and up the hill is the Korean War memorial to the Incheon Invasion.

In the center of town is Namdaemun Gates. You have probably seen this and didn't know it.

Dont be afraid to try the food. At night the street food is awesome. The beer is pretty good too, IMO. I prefered OB or Cass. Great on tap. Koreans love to drink. I never really found a place where I felt unsafe there. You will see very young children riding the subways to school alone.

You will have a blast.
  4. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks very much! I had pretty much given up looking here for suggestions and just popped in for a look. Given the current political climate in north Korea we may not visit the tunnels (they may be in use! :evil)
    well you've given us some ideas now anyway! actually my Partner read somewhere that the Airport is about 90 minutes from the city? is she right? and also where should we be looking for accommodation, or I guess more specifically - is there somewhere we SHOULDN'T be looking for accommodation?
  5. KTM_Paul

KTM_Paul Sans KTM

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for all the help, the response has been underwhelming! :*sip*
    For those of you playing at home (260 thread views 1 reply) we've booked a hotel in Insadong and will just randomly wander around there I guess, looking forward to it but I hope it gets a LOT warmer before we arrive!
  6. NPLR

NPLR n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for taking forever to check in here. ADVrider isn't very active here in Korea, helps that big, 150cc<, bikes are expensive and you're banned from highways (no big deal unless you want to ride someplace other than the local turf).

Anyway, I live in the south of Korea and I don't have a huge amount of experience in Seoul. However, doing a day trip to the DMZ is worthwhile, don't worry about the political climate. Things change rapidly around here and I'm wouldn't be overly concerned.

I strongly disagree with the MoodyBlues saying the beer is good, they do know how to drink here though so what they lack in quality they pack down in quantity. If you want nightlife there is the western area in Itaewon which can be fun or filthy depending on how you view it. Hongdae is also fun to visit.

Insadong is nice, you picked a nice area to stay in, its been recommended to me a few times to visit but I haven't made it to that part of town.

Subways go everywhere and taxis are cheap.

Other than that, I'd have to look online just like you to find things to do in Seoul. When I do go, it is for homebrewing meetups or having to visit the Embassy, otherwise I steer clear and prefer to roam the less traveled parts of Korea.
  7. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Was just surfing and found this thread. I'm subbed to another thread here that has most of the Korea -based chat and rarely surf the Asia sub-forum, sorry.

So, how was your visit? Where did you go?