January Dual Sport Ride through Northern Florida

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by MonkeyboyVT, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MonkeyboyVT

MonkeyboyVT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 week ago, my associate and I were afforded two off days between gigs in DC and Miami. Naturally we squeezed a couple bikes into the mix and a detour to Apalachicola National Forest was made

[​IMG][/IMG]

Unloading in Tallahassee we headed into the Spring Hill single track trailhead. The sugarsand single track had surprisingly good grip, but with over 100 miles of unknown miles ahead there was only so much time for playing in the sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the roads were decently maintained, but we found some pretty fun water crossings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had come across some info about an old homestead in the Forest. After asking a bee farmer, we found it. The old Langston Homestead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I ran out of gas.....

[​IMG]

The efficient DRZ saves the day!

[​IMG]

Appropriately named

[​IMG]

After 150 miles through Apalachicola National Forest and Tates Hell State forest we arrived in the Town of Apalachicola.

[​IMG]

We came over that bridge to cross the very wide Apalachicola River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really dug this little town. We found a very decent room for under $100, there are great restaurants and bars and a quaint, but real Florida flavor. And the fresh Apalachicola Oysters are absolutely delicious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on the trail the next morning. Some beautiful canopied roads and fauna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The KTM 500EXC was excellent on this ride. I encountered sugar sand, water crossings, mud, high speed straights and all was fine. My seat concepts re-build was also a huge help and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

[​IMG]

We came across a stranded motorist and lent a hand

[​IMG]

Back in Tallahassee. About 100 miles in 4 hours on our second day. A lot of high speed stuff, great visibility and good packed dirt made for a fast ride.

[​IMG]
  2. DaveInSt.Augustine

DaveInSt.Augustine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool photos. That one going through that deep mud was awesome. Did you make it through that?
  3. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR & photos! Thanks for posting.

RB
  4. Bulitt

Bulitt Flori-duh Man

Oddometer:
    Great report! Thanks:clap
  5. MonkeyboyVT

Oddometer:
    Made it through the water just fine. Only one go around over the 2 days where we came to a huge river and no bridge to be found.

We did come across a very angry hunter that yelled at us for some time. We were on a maintained forest road and not going particularly fast. We tried to show him our motorcycle use passes, but there was nothing we could say so we rode off with him saying something about us "cutting fool in his forest"....some people. About a 1/2 hour later we gave a stranded motorist a ride, so we hoped the news of kind dirt-bikers travels faster.
  6. SpenserpVT

SpenserpVT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

Great trip, great write-up.

Let's just hope the Forest Service doesn't add tougher restrictions on cuttin' fool.
  7. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Would like to check this out sometime. Where's it at? :ear

Damn KTMs! :lol3

Looks like "floatie d00d" with a flannel shirt... was this guy ever in Blackwater a few years ago stranded in Hutton? :ear
  8. MonkeyboyVT

Oddometer:
    The old homestead is located on the west edge of Bramwell bay wilderness where the Florida Trail crosses CR375
  9. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

Cool! Thanks. :thumb
  10. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    I think I've fallen in that mud hole before. I HATE f---ing mud holes!!!

:rofl
  11. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Never stop. Friendly wave whether they are giving you the finger or cheering you on. There is nothing you are going to say to make the situation better. Thanks for sharing!
  12. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along. Any chance you've got the GPS tracks to share via PM?
  13. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. You can do nothing to convince a rabid hunter you have a right to be there. Wave and keep going.

We were stopped and threaten with a gun. We called police. Aggravated assault charges are pending. He is in big trouble.