Lennie's Camshaft Sprockets

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Hookalatch, Aug 3, 2010.

1. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the sprockets in stock now.

The following from a new customer after install.

Lennie,

It was dry today so I took a 100km ride under varying road conditions. I did the feel the improvement in the low end torque, although the difference is not night and day but I readily appreciated the improvement. I used to have a flat spot in the 4000-5500 rpm range which is no longer there. There used to be a "kick" past 5500 rpm. It's smoother now. The exhaust popping on decceleration was significantly reduced. The "torque curve" is now a nicer, constant curve if one is to draw a graph on it.

I did not get the chance to test the top end as I don't really care for it. What matters is the extra grunt I now get from the low rpm range. The engine is now more relaxed as up-shifting even in low rpms does not cause the engine to labor as much. I did notice that overtaking even on 5th or 6th gear is more effortless. My kind of performance :-)

Just for my info, I have a few questions:

1. Why do you think I have less exhaust popping now? Do the sprockets have anything to do with altering the air/fuel mixture conditions?
    2. I believe the crank angle had been modified by the new sprockets. By how many degrees advanced?
    3. Has a bike ever been dyno'd with and without the sprockets? If you have before-and-after torque charts, I'd like to see them.

Thanks. You have a very good product.

Regards,

Rico
  2. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zigo,

Did you complete the install and ride the bike yet?

Lennie
  3. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you install the right side without rotating the engine (leaving it in the same place where the left side was done) or rotate the engine to TDC for the right side?

Mark
  4. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as cost with or without labour, a customer in the UK installed a set in his S and found that fuel consumption improved so much thaey almost paid for themselves in a1920 mile trip from John O'Groats to Lands End.

All feedback is that you run one gear higher with the torque curve and thus save fuel.

If you are mechanically capable they are easy to get installed once you get the retaining bolts loose.

I recommend doing one side at a time and rotate the engine fully then reset the other side to top dead center and install.
  5. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprockets are in and the bike is running fine. It was 24° here so my test ride was short.
    Not aiming criticisms anywhere but it seems to me that the instructions could have been more in depth.
    I had a small problem when the new sprocket shifted it's postion in relationship to the cam when I was torqueing the new sprocket. Fixing the problem was an easy fix but I just wish I had had the advice at hand in one easy to find spot. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It seems to be a fine product and I thank you Lennie.

Mark <o:p></o:p>
  6. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Celticus,

An American customer phoenixtexoma was polite enough to do the instructions.

I may have to update them.

For anyone in the future just email me with any questions.

Regards,

Lennie
  7. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread, especially interesting for my GS.

The mods seem to be made on 'early' 12GS models (05-09). Do these have similar results on camhead Boxers (2010-current)?

Reason I ask is that after test riding the camhead, it wasn't much different than my 07 (hexhead) except in that lower range. If I could boost the lower range comparably (certainly less than trading in), it would be a bit of a windfall. I'm not riding in the upper revs to take advantage of the 10hp difference between these engines. Torque on the bottom is where it's at for most of us.

Also would be interested to see any dyno results before and after installation. Thanks.
  8. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HIllbilly,

I have just relocated to Melbourne from Hobart and I am setting up a warehouse space for another business.

I will get access to the later camhead models and design and test sprockets for those. Give me about 8 to 10 weeks to get this done.

For any guys out there in Melbourne near Maidstone/Highpoint contact me if you are interested in letting me look at your bike to just remove the cam gear and rocker covers so I can inspect whay might be involved.

I can order a full set of the stock sprockets and get new advanced cams made up and tested.

Regards,

Lennie
  9. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This in from another customer in Canberra Australia.

It is a good explanation of what his result was.

I am now in Melbourne if there are any locals that want to catch up.
  10. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I injured my back at work right after I installed my set of Lennie's Sprockets and so had not had a good chance to try them out until yesterday.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It seemed to me that the bike (An R1200R) was just raring to go and that it was now the way it should have come from the dealership.<o:p></o:p>
    I had my first unintentional lofting of the front tire during that ride and I was hooting like a crazy man in my helmet. Very pleased.<o:p></o:p>
    I didn't notice ANY diminishing of top end power.<o:p></o:p>
    It red lined in 5th very quickly and predictably but I hadn't room for 6th.<o:p></o:p>
    Very healthy and powerful is the way it felt to me. Some say they have tried these sprockets and taken them back off.?? I don't get it , but some people don't like lasagna either.<o:p></o:p>
    Good on you Lennie!<o:p></o:p>
    This is an enthusiastic recommendation. <o:p></o:p>
    Mark<o:p></o:p>
  11. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    celticus,

Objective achieved.

First time hooting inside the helmeo has been reported. :rofl

Enjoy the ride.
  12. Will Allen

Will Allen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any update on the effecs of these on the DOHC 1200GS's?
  13. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will,

The R1200 twin cams have a different set of sprockets and they don't have a locating pin.

There are threads on other sites about being able to advance the cam timing with just the cam timing tools.
  14. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my sprockets just seven days after placing the order with Lennie. Thank you sir!

Hope to put them on the bike a soon as I get the free time (to ride & wrench).
  15. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mfb,

Just part of the service.

Glad to know you got them and take your time with the install them enjoy the ride.
  16. johnno

johnno johnno

Oddometer:
    tried fitting Lennies sprockets, heard a crack, thought great the sprocket bolt has let go, alas it was the torx driver had snapped. luckily the head of it was still in the nut & not in the sump. second go, got a better quality driver, it just started to twist, thats when i stopped put everything back & left the bike as is. I do all my own maintenance so I know which way a bolt undoes, the head of the sprocket nut has started to strip so I am not game to try a 3rd driver. the good book says not to use an impact driver so I'm stumped. Any suggestions are welcome, maybe heat I don't know.
  17. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a part number or pitch/thread numbers for some replacement bolts? I figure I might as well install new ones while I'm in there.
  18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but I think it's #4 below. If so, part # is 07 12 9 903 613. Dimensions are M10x1.25x25.

[​IMG]
  19. lennie

lennie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rick,

This issue of not being able to remove the bolt is so few and far between in the 11 years I have been selling them and this is the only second case I know of.

This is a link to the Pelican Parts board where a member has the same issue with the bolts not breaking loose.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/687560-cam-sprocket-bolt-removal.html

In the past I have had varying degrees of difficulty in getting the bolt to break free and usually use a pipe over my 1/2" extension bar with someone hard on the rear break with the rear wheel on the ground.

Let me know how yu go with this.
  20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm following that thread too. I'm not worried. I'll use Snap-On bits and always use a big breaker bar instead of ratchets. I just figure there's no point in reusing stressed bolts. And the new ones cost next to nothing. So why not replace them while I'm in there?