Oregon to Ushuaia on an XR650L

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ulyses, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I could come up with a useful idea for once! You really need to stop getting hit by things. Boats, cars, dogs, wandering livestock... what's next? Hang-glider? UAV? Tank?

Yep, just sitting here drinking a pale ale reading the last couple days reports. Wishing I was out riding...
  2. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea, let me know when :freaky
  3. Ed Zachtamundo

Ed Zachtamundo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good work, you crazy bastard. Thanks for keeping up on your ride report- I just wish I were there to help!

20 hours of surgery so far and my pelvis is fixed. Tomorrow morning I'll go under so they can rebuild my femur and fix what they did in El Salvador. As it is, my right femur is 2" shorter than my left.

Stay safe and stay in touch!

Justin
  4. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Wow Justin, it's such a bummer to hear about that awful accident. But at least now you're getting fixed up properly. Life goes on... el pasado pisado... quite the story to entertain people with, and warn them; I can see you as a grandfather telling your wide-eyed grandkids...
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn:eek1 I guess I was reallyh lucky, I broke my lt leg bad in Venezuela and had surgery and it was spot on perfect @ probably a 1/3 of the cost in the US. Totally suck to have a dodgy job done and have a total redo:puke1

Great you are getting repaired the right way now:clap:clap:clap

Goodluck with the surgery.
  6. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you found Dr Douglas Beaman 501 N Graham Suite 250
    Portland, OR. 503 249- 0719 He's the best around and lower extremities are his specialty.
    Best of luck and be patient, these things take time.
    Phillip
  7. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Justin good luck with your surgeries. I will be going through Portland tonight and sunday sometime. I would love to stop by and check on you if you'd have me. PM me with some details.

Did I miss something. How do you know the condition of his sprocket? How do you know how he is tightening his chain? I'm so lost...
  8. pngaudioguy

pngaudioguy Just...one...more...

Oddometer:
    Ulyses also posted over in the XRL section. Quite a few of us from there have been following along as well, some more verbally than others.

I'll echo the sentiments of others who have written in saying that I'm really enjoying the South America ride reports this winter; between you, Bubbletron, and RTWpaul, I've had plenty of non-drizzle photos to enjoy!
  9. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

WOW!!!! Good luck and keep us posted. :freaky
  10. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag :shog
    See the sprocket pics for yourself.
    I hope he's not on the way to Lima with that front sprocket flopping around on the output shaft like that! And a tight chain trying to rip if off... There will be little joy of it if he ends up having to replace the output shaft. I wish he would check in... :bluduh

PS: how do you "piss off hippies in Corvallis" with his HD? That sounds like an interesting story...
  11. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I'm all caught up now, I went through the last couple of page of the XRL only thread. And yeah he should update us. I'm curious as to what the rear sprocket looks like.

Well like most Harleys his is loud and obnoxious, unless your on it then it sounds absolutely badass. Right next to campus there is a really hippie/hipster coffee shop and when ever I make a pass by it I give the bike a lot of throttle and shake the windows a little bit. It's loud enough to set off car alarms so I figure I'm rattling some patchouli stinking hippie.
  12. purpledrake

purpledrake No Pretensions

Oddometer:
    I know that this isn't you (and, that you have of course seen this before). Sorry, I couldn't resist reminding you. :rofl

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGyKBFCd_u4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGyKBFCd_u4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  13. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    It's totally true.:rofl:D A truly great episode.
  14. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it to Lima. Lot's more adventures today: freezing my ass off, more bike problems (nothing to do with sprockets or chains), and some more outright bribery of Peruvians.

By the way, the front sprocket isn't as loose as it may have seemed; the chain on the other hand just refuses to stay tight! I'll be hunting for a new chain tomorrow. I have a 14 tooth front sprocket to swap out with the old one and I know a guy who's flying to Peru in a few days who is going to bring me a new XRR 15 tooth front.

I'm going to go eat some dinner. I'll update later tonight. Cheers!
  15. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Which way are you going from there? If my lost bag arrives tomorrow, I'm leaving Arequipa and heading towards Nazca and then Lima to meet Hewby
  16. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Whew, glad you made it without the sprocket stripping out on the shaft! If it had the play you recorded in your original post, I don't see how that's possible. But hopefully you pulled the sprocket and verified the shaft is in good shape. Don't forget to grease the splines on the shaft where the sprocket engages. That sprocket should fit the shaft pretty snug, you know... any slop banging back and forth will wipe out the splines on the sprocket and shaft! The teeth didn't look all that worn but certainly have him bring you a new front sprocket! Chain and rear sprocket too, if possible. :thumb

Looking forward to another engaging update! Lots of interesting stuff today it sounds like.
    Last time I left off in the past I believe you'd made it to Panama. Hard to keep up with two timelines at once. :lol3
  17. Leminkainen

Leminkainen Adventurer

Oddometer:

Good to hear the you are getting proper care! Get well soon

Lem
  18. Ruined Adventures

Ruined Adventures n00b

Oddometer:
    We really enjoyed bumping into you guys in Medellin. Hopefully we'll catch up to you soon, we're next to the Amazon in Misahualli, Ecuador.

For the record we totally didn't pee in that dude's driveway...we were able to find better alternatives :D

We try to avoid the 'camp in front of a hostel' move, but sometimes in big cities it's unavoidable. I still can't believe how big of a ghost town Medellin was for Christmas!

Safe travels,
    Brenton & Shannon
  19. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 88 (January 11, 2013)
    Huaraz, Peru to Lima, Peru
    Day's Ride: 283 Miles

[​IMG]

Nothing like having your day start out with views like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Huaraz and heading south along the Cordillera Blanca is an excellent ride! Unfortunately, you do get up to 13,500 feet and things can start getting a little cold. However, right after you top out, the decent back into the desert begins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The decent was phenomenal as well; however, an ever expanding chain which threatened to disintegrate at any moment kept me from enjoying the hairpin turns, switch backs, and incredible views.

[​IMG]

Eventually things leveled out and I was back in the desert.

[​IMG]

We finally made it back to the Panamerican Highway where I pulled over to remove some layers. As I was rolling into the gravel, I noticed that my front end felt mushy. I looked down at my front wheel and realized that I had a flat. I cursed my luck and jumped off the bike to start swapping out the tube. As I did so, I looked down at my luggage rack and realized that it was starting to crack, again! Double deuce!

Up until this point, I've had just about every other kind of misfortune hunt me down; but so far flats have kept their distance. But apparently, I'm in a bad streak of luck right now.

Oh well. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. I busted out my tools and got to work. I was immediately glad that I had build that enduro stand yesterday; it worked like a charm:

[​IMG]

I got the wheel off....

[​IMG]

....and the tire off....

[​IMG]

...and then realized what a horrible idea Slime is. Looks like I'm never using that stuff again. I ended up spending an extra 10 minutes just cleaning the goo off of the tire and the rim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was de-Slime-ing my wheels, a large four door Jeep wrangler with Georgia plates comes screaming off the road and pulls in in front of us. A fellow overlander hopped out and offered his help and some cold Gatorade. I gladly accepted both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, I can't remember his name and I forgot to have him sign my tank! He was a hell of a guy. He even busted out his ARB air compressor and we had the new tube aired up in a few seconds. Sure beats my little 12 volt compressor.

[​IMG]

With everything aired up, I slapped the wheel back on and everything was as good as new. All told, it only took about 30 minutes to get everything swapped out and fixed; and that includes the 10 minutes spent cleaning off all of the Slime.

I got a picture with my mysterious benefactor, put my gear back on, and hit the road.

[​IMG]

The last 100 miles into Lima were more of the same: hazy, wind swept desert. We saw some fairly impressive shanty towns:

[​IMG]

We finally arrived in Lima around 5:00 PM and ran straight into a wall of traffic. I found out later that Lima has over 7,000,000 people! Definitely the kind of place that I would normally avoid.

[​IMG]

As we were riding through town, an angry couple of Peruvians pulled up next to me and started shouting at me angrily. I pulled over to see what was the matter; apparently I had struck one of their side mirrors with my panniers and cracked the plastic while cutting through traffic. Bubbletron confirmed this for me as I hadn't noticed, so I apologized and gave them about $20. Man, Peru is killing my wallet!

We finally got to the Barranco district of Lima and found that the Hostel that we had been trying to get to was full. We hunted around and finally found a place with some "Dakar" graffiti and figured that was good enough.

[​IMG]

As I was unpacking my bags, I started thinking about the past three days: hit by a car, nasty stomach bug, flat tire, broken luggage rack (fourth time), and bribing Peruvians over broken mirrors. I started laughing at the absurdity of it all, then broke into that Ray LaMontagne song:

"Trouble...
    Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble
    Trouble been doggin' my soul since the day I was born..."

Pretty soon, I'm going to need a vacation from my vacation.
  20. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang in there Bro! As Nietzsche states, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" :wink:

Don't know if you're following Dakar or not, but it was a strange day today on Stage 7 - Caselli (USA) won the stage :clap and a poor young French rider 106 Thomas Bourgin (FRA) was the victim of a fatal traffic accident :cry on the link route as he made his way to the start of the day's special stage. My heart goes out to his family.............

Take Care of yourself and keep the RR go'n!