Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We all have the same objectives here (maximizing the potential of our MT rigs) and I agree on the wide vs close ratio considerations BUT another important thing to consider is where the engine makes it's power and how broad that powerband is.

I've taken a look at the numbers on my DR200SE and DR350SE and though the 200 benefits from a shorter 1st gear (as one would expect on a smaller engine [3.0:1 (200) vs 2.5:1 (350)]) the real world seat of your pants reality is that the 350 (with its 6spd) hits 6th at about 50-55 and the 200 (with it's 5spd) is long since spent. Both of these engines have about the same bore/stroke and primary reduction ratios as well as fairly close trans ratios other than 1st and the 200's lack of a 6th. The 200 likes to cruise at 4500-4800 whereas the 350 likes 4800 in 5th and 5000 in 6th (that wind thing).

The bottom line to all this is to test all you can and you may go through a few bikes and setups before you find that right one. Never met a rider who didn't like to buy bikes.:evil

An optimum setup for a long trip would be to carry a spare countershaft sprocket in a size that will expand you flexibility. Some are so stupid easy to change with a snap ring pliers or a retaining ring held by 2 screws why not. A big one for the flats and a smaller one for the mountains; just size your chain so you can alternate with a slight chain adjustment. I do this all the time when I run my Aprilia RS50 (talk about narrow powerbands) in various part of the country.

Ian;

Didn't know that was you, you're right. Have you done any trips since August.

Charles;

For the benefit of the other TW riders here, show us a pic of your pannier rack design.

:ricky
  2. CatoctinDave

CatoctinDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the KLX, but it's predecessor, the KLR 250 is a great mini-tourer, and I (for one), am sorry to see it go. I went one tooth higher (15t) on the front, and it runs 65 at a comfortable pace, 6800 rpm (remember redline is 9500). 300 mile days are no problem, although I do throw a piece of egg-case style foam over the seat, from a wally-mart ground pad.
    I threw a homemade rack (you'll need a buddy with a welder), saddlebags, and a homemade front fender stabilizer on mine. I promise to post pictures of these, I just have to figure out what my kids did with the damn camera!!
    I've got no problem riding off-road with mine, but bear in mine that I'm too beat up for a bunch of high-speed singletrack. It's great fun on gravel, dirt, and woods exploring. Fun on the twisties, fun in the dirt, what more could you want?
    It also has screw-locknut valve adjustment for easy maintenance.
  3. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    did both the 350 and the 350SE have 6-speed trannies?

And, isn't the DRZ400S just an improvement on the 350? [except for no six-speed option]

4. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Yes, with the same ratios.:deal

Many like the DRZ400S but I'll pass and keep my 350. It would even have been an improvement to have a 6th in the F650GSD being that it is more of street bike than a woods blaster.:eek1

In my view, because MT'ing requires lengthy periods of operation (the smaller the bike, the longer) to ensure long engine life, reliability, and economy we need maximum flexibility from the trans so we can dial our smaller engines in to the conditions presented. For some bikes the math works out for others it is difficult.

I generally like to cruise in the mid-forty's (if I don't have to manage traffic or race the clock), with my 200 there is nothing left except higher rpm but the 350 still has another gear. To me, that's the advantage of that extra gear, if I need to kick it up a bit I can. Look at automotive transmissions now; gone are the 2 and 3 spd boxes and we are now seeing 4, 5, 6, and 7; there is a reason (smaller engines, engines with narrow powerbands, and more economy at higher "cruise" speeds).

:beer

5. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    I just love this bike:D
  6. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before upgrading to a KLX400R, one of my buddies followed me around for thousands of off road adventure miles on his Yamaha XT225. He went everywhere I did on my DRZ400.

Here's some photos of him in action on the trusty little steed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another buudy who's equally as enthusiastic about riding his TTR230. He's been known to ride 400 kms through the back country of Newfoundland, by himself, in one day on this little bike...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    ^-- Looks like fun:1drink
  8. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Rocky bar ghost town on the TW200, This was a 12 hour 400+ mile trip:ricky

[​IMG]
  9. Bud Tugly

Bud Tugly Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Back in the late 1960's when I was a crazy teenager I rode a Honda C110 around Lake Superior. That was the 50cc model with a 4-speed and looked like a "real" motorcycle. The trip was something like 1100 miles and took 6 days.

My buddy rode his Suzuki 80 and between us we carried a small pup tent, our sleeping bags, cook kit, spare clothes, etc. just strapped on the seats behind us. My top speed was 45 mph wide open and we pulled over to the shoulder every time a vehicle pulled up behind us.

Luckily the traffic on that route was pretty sparse back in those days. We camped out wherever we found an isolated spot and had a great time. It was quite an adventure, including having a bear wander into our campsite on a remote river in Canada.

It was the most memorable trip I've ever been on.
    Th0nda, Stackwood and CMS like this.
  10. Kaler

Kaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Four feet of snow on the ground outside, sunless sky, cold 20mph wind blowing in from the NW. Seasonal Affective Disorder threatens ...

Yup, those pics are friggin' wonderful to behold.:rofl

BTW, whereabouts on The Rock (Nfld) is the pic of the two bikes overlooking the ocean?

K eh? LR
  11. steve gs

Oddometer:

Did you take any pics you might be able to scan and share with us.

:eyes :lurk :lurk :lurk :eyes

Back in the 70's and 80's I canoed the lakes and rivers just S and E of Wawa almost every fall. Would have loved to have done the loop back in the 60's. My MT'ing began with my 175 Kawasaki and some pretty lame camping equipment back in the 70's. Small bikes are great for impromptu camping.

12. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Feeling your pain.:vardy
    Those pics get me fired up thinking about my planned MT "big trip" out to NF on the 2fiddy the end of August.:deal
  13. leakypetcock

leakypetcock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My SR250 I had when I was 19 was my only form of transportation...in Montana. I put 5000 miles on it in a summer, did some 350 mile days on it and only had a small windshield and a duffel bag. I was just too young to know better I guess. That was 1991, the bike was a 1981. Couldn't have picked a better first street bike for the area I lived in. I wish I could find another in as good of shape to commute and just screw around on. Currently ride a KLR 650 so I haven't gone too much bigger and still only one cylinder! One more thing, that is snow on the right hand side of the picture, I think that it was March, right before I shipped out to the Navy.
  14. MrPete

MrPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day guys, just finished reading through this thread and felt the need to throw my hat into the ring on the side of Mini Tourers.

I'm currently without wheels, and have been looking at the likes of DR650 and such. Mainly cos I'm not a weedy guy and figured that the bigger bikes would suit me more.

However, ya'll got me thinking about my last bike. My humble little KLX250 took me everywhere I wanted to go exploring. While I never did any big trips, it was awesome for those moments of "hey, what's down this road?".

I've likened it to my van, which as an older diesel doesn't get me to where I'm going very fast. I do make it there eventually however, and I can carry a bunch of gear with me!

So, my current bike search has switched back to my first love, two-fiddys!

Doesn't hurt that they're cheaper to buy as well :deal

-Pete :ricky
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those 250's capture the essence of light-hearted exploring and adventuring, don't they?:D
  16. Bud Tugly

Oddometer:
    If all a person is going to do is travel on 2-lane highways and dirt, any reliable bike from 200 cc on up is more than adequate. Plus they're lighter and use less gas. That's the kind of riding I always preferred, anyway.

The bigger bikes are a lot more thrilling to ride, but they're only really needed if you're cruising interstates, carrying a lot of gear, or riding two-up.
  17. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Been lurking on this thread for a while but didn't have much to contribute.

Last November I bought myself a 60th birthday present as I figured I was entering my second childhood. Ended up with a drz250 which are road legal in Australia. Then I set about fixing it up for touring.

Since then I've done two longish trips (about 800-900km each) travelling with people on much bigger bikes. The first trip was all with GS1100's (or newer) whilst the second was with a bunch of guys on 650 singles. On both occassions I was real happy I was on the 250. Could keep up OK, especially when not on the blacktop and didn't use half as much energy.

I haven't made many changes to the bike. A decent set of handguards (barkbusters made in Oz), a Whipps alloy rack (also made in Oz) and then an auxiliary Nomad fuel tank (also Oz-made) that I can bolt to the rack. This gives me an additional 7.5 litres and a range of about 350km. Good enuff! I still need to get a sump guard.

The piccy was taken 2 weeks ago on my last run. Some awesome scenery and good riding. Found one hill that most of us had to push up for one reason or another. The 250 was running out of steam, whilst the 650's were too heavy and being spat sideways.

I'm off again on Sunday for a day ride. Probably another 500km round trip.

These things is fun :D.

I'll get back to you.

BruceC

Attached Files:

18. Bud Tugly

Oddometer:
    No pictures, unfortunately. We didn't think to bring a camera.

I've canoed the lakes and streams of Lake Superior Provincial Park several times. It's located just south-east from Wawa. Is that the area you're talking about? Fantastic brook trout fishing in the more remote areas.
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I wish I could have one of those.
  20. MrPete

MrPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride there Bruce!

*adds drz to the shortlist of new steeds*