NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    Are You a good swimmer? :D I would like to meet halfway for getting the front fork. To Norway please :lol3
  2. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the carb from my 200x,I also had to get a new one from DG for 130 bucks.it was so boogered and bogarted. If I had several 100 laying around Id grab the forks and supertrapp,being I live on the east coast shipping probably would cost me an arm an a leg
  3. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I sold the pipe, wheels and seat. I can weigh the forks and give you an idea for shipping, it probably won't be too much.
  4. polarized

polarized Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:

Hey Scrambler66, about that front wheel again... You're saying that a front wheel from a xr250 will fit plug&play?

I was going under the impression that wasn't possible.

So if I found one from lets say 1994 it should fit no problem? I would hate to drop a lot of cash on a whole wheel and not have it fit.
  5. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

To my best knowledge, all XR250 had 240mm brake discs and 15mm front axles – the newer XR600 17mm, that’s why those would not fit plug and play. It might be that some newer XR250 had also the thicker axle (but I doubt it); you can check this with this link – it’s a list of all models with the 15mm front axle http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-44301-KF0-000.html

But I wouldn’t spend a lot of money, suitable wheels are not that expensive http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1987-H...4450&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
  6. GCR

GCR n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello

you have never had a problem with brake rotor ?

I've cracked brake rotor 2 ?

[​IMG]
  7. polarized

polarized Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the help Scrambler66. Seems like all xr250's use the same axle, just what I needed to know.
  8. bl00

bl00 Dude, what's mine say?

Oddometer:
    Anybody in the Riverside, California area willing to take a ride to JustGasTanks to see if any aftermarket tanks can be adapted to the NX. They seem to carry every brand. There has to be something that fits close enough to make work.
  9. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I have an NX250 CDI that failed a year or so ago. I opened it up and did a bit of soldering and got it going again, but it only lasted a month or so. I didn't remove all the old solder joints and re-solder them all so it probably had a few more fail points, also I am not very good at soldering.

I know there was someone on here who was repairing these, basically for free if you sent a CDI his way. What I would like to do is donate this one as a starting point, to get a pool of these going. That way if someone has a failed CDI they send it in and get the repaired one back right away.

Does anyone remember who was repairing these? Or does someone here want to step up to be the NX CDI guru?
  10. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the size of the flywheel puller? In the factory manual the universal Honda tool with 16mm, 18mm, 20mm and 22mm threads is recommended, without bothering to mention which thread actually fits the NX250 flywheel :(:
  11. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    I came across this before and if I remember correctly I believe it was 20mm.

12. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    no just the bits the say "honda" in correct type and sizing, I ended up making my own versions of the rest.

13. Ratchdaddy

Ratchdaddy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 88 NX250 has been down for a couple of years now. It had sucked the valves and I thought it would be uneconomical to repair at the $600 the local shop quoted me. I found a used ebay engine for $150 and figured it may be worth the gamble.

I put the new engine in and tried to start it. It cranks but will not catch. This is where I am looking for suggestions.

- I have spark.

- I used my original CDI which I suspected was bad, and the new one I got off of ebay. Same results. Spark but no ignition.

- I am unable to do a good compression check until I can find an adapter small enough for the spark plug hole, I did the finger over the hole trick and it feels like good compression. ( I know, not reliable or accurate)

- Squirted starter fluid in carb, no dice. Put some gas directly into sparkplug hole, no dice.

What I am thinking after following the trouble shooting chart in the manual is mayber to check the timing. I havent done that on this bike yet so hopefully not too hard. I am also going to pull off the carb and go through it again.

Any other ideas from you guys that are more familiar with the NX?
  14. scrambler66

Oddometer:

Forget the compression and timing check and do the carb first :D. Since the ignition is producing sparks it is most likely the carb, which is probably full of junk after sitting around for a couple of years. Especially with gasoline containing ethanol - this is also acting corrosive to the jets. Honda recommends cleaning the carb after a immobilization time of more than 4 weeks in its workshop manual.
  15. Orkodelamuerte

Orkodelamuerte Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to change the valve shims.. i know already the thickness i need but not the diameter.. Are they 7.48 / 7.5 mm??

Thanks in advance...
  16. Ratchdaddy

Ratchdaddy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're probably right. That is what I am going to start with this weekend. I have to wait until the wife leaves the house. She hates when I use her pots for boiling the jets in. CA gas is the worst too.
  17. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh why do you boil jets?
  18. bl00

bl00 Dude, what's mine say?

Oddometer:
    I used the 7.48
  19. Orkodelamuerte

Orkodelamuerte Adventurer

Oddometer:

Good then, I'll order them right now. Thanks. May the stars shine bright in the sky so that I can get my bike back after 2 months at the mechanics.

:1drink
  20. 177in70s

177in70s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW's 2013 R1200GS will come with 120/70-19 front tires and 170/60-17 Rears. Down the road some other widths may show up for this bike and some other bikes with this size may come on the market.

Our NXs call for a 90/100-19 fronts. One of us wrote on ~ page 56 "Front 100/90-19, way bigger than TW39 but it fit under the fork brace. "

I used a "small and narrow" 70/100-19 knobby for two dual sport events, one very rocky day in Reading PA and one very sandy one in NJ. It did very well despite my 215 lbs.