BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    I'm just using the bog stock BMW one.. (actually I have three that I use in rotation). Not sure who made them, but had no issues so far.
  2. KarlNum

KarlNum Go Dam It, GO!

Oddometer:
    Ditto........
  3. AleCri

AleCri Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Hi you can buy the setup brand new...
    I've been in contact with Bert Duursma, incase you didn't know Bert designed the 29lt tank you see.
    bert@bertduursma.nl
    I am the OEM of this tank and can supply you directly if you wish. The tankkit consists of: 29 L PE fuel tank Mounting kit Rear fender Buddyseat The price is 1250 euro excl shipment.
    The tank replaces the entire subframe and you do need a low exhaust. I can also supply the exhaust header and muffler if you are interested.
    So if you are wanting one of these, then Bert is the contact.
  5. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    I have a triple clamp question I am hoping y'all can help with.

I recently installed a new triple clamp and noticed that after the install there is a small bit of play. Maybe 1/32 of overall play. You can only notice it when you lift the front wheel and wiggle the forks front to back.

So, my question is, does everybody have this play in their front end? I did follow the proper tourqueing sequence and theBearings are basically new.

Let me know your thoughts.
  6. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    I do not have any play. If you greased the bearings, you may need to perform the torque sequence several times to squeeze out the excess grease.

Your torque wrench may be out of spec.

Can tighten the triple tree enough that the play goes away? :hmmmmm
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Make sure you loosen the bolts holding the crown to the fork tubes before you tighten the nut. If you don't, you may not be able to get rid of the play.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  8. tundra61

Oddometer:
    thanks - am going to give things another try.

Also, I seemed to have lost my service disk. Can anybody list the torque sequence? I know you are supposed to loosely tighten things, then put the bike on the floor and follow a few subsequent steps before final tightening.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I have no access to the reprom from this tablet, so hopefully someone'll check it out but one other possibility for your problem might be that the thing you changed needs a spacer to make it the same height as the one you took off.

Perhaps a thick washer will fix it?
  10. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    Here you go. Happy Thanksgiving. Now I have to go clean up before the guests get here. The bike can wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took these pics back in early October, I think, but my camera's card was on the fritz. Somehow they recently showed up on my computer...:huh Anyway, enjoyed the fall leaves, bit cold and dark now a days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. tundra61

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much - happy thxsgiving to you and yours !

The long weekend finally brought me some free time to finish the install of my xtrig triple trees and WP forks with the Ohlins TTX cartridge installed. This also called for a KTM front wheel and rotor.

Though the clamps did take some fidgeting to get tightened - everything bolted up perfectly.

Prior to these forks I did have the stockers valved and resprung by Dick's and have to say the TTX and new offset of the clamps has even further improved the bike.

I think these clamps are now very hard to come by, but if you are committed to your g450x and come across a set - they are definitely worth the cost and effort of getting the WP or Ohlins forks installed.

13. Edelweys

Edelweys DOM undercover

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous riding area! Envy!!:cry
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Hey,,,speaking of that.:D

When we doing an Upstate NY 450X day?:earHomeboy's[you know who you are].:deal
    Before it snows....
  15. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Jim's doing spiked tire rides, already... I'dve been there but I dont have a day off till the 15th, and I still havent done the 20 hour maintenance that was due before September :deal
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Well,quit screw'n round in exodicdesert locations and get to it.:rofl

I rode the Hammer run,[had a blast!!:clap]and i couldnt stop without 3 or 4 guys asking me every question in the world about my X.:lol3
    I missed lunch at one spot on Sunday cause two guys cornered me with the,,"Do ya like it"?,,"Whats that round thing on the seat"?,,By the time i got done,Xmoto and Boatman had eat'n and were gearing back up.:huh

Sooo,i just wanta ride with some guys that ask the Husaberg guys all them questions.:lol3
    Atleast before i gotta spoon on Trelleborg's.:deal
  17. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode today. . ..

[​IMG]
  18. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know they don't make this bike anymore, but I have my eye on the Husky 511. Pretty sure it is a version of this same bike, maybe a few changes anyone riding one, I can't find a thread on them anywhere
  19. Q-tip

Q-tip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Traded my 450; have some things (exhausts, skid plate) listed in the "for sale" section if anyone interested.
  20. Lamented

Lamented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, been riding my used 2009 with 3500 on it for a while now, love the bike.

pic from a little Urban exploration today.....

[​IMG]

Have a bunch of new guy questions........

1. I noticed a broken wire today on a ride, power felt down and it is tiny and will be a pain to fix without screwing up the connector.

What is this? I have a wiring diagram but can't find where these three wires are grouped together on it. It goes to a sensor on the back side of the motor where a carb should be:rofl

my guess is the +5v sensor for the Idle regulator position sensor? It is the red and green wire paired with a brown /white and a Blue/yellow

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated. Bike is still under warranty, would this be covered?

2. Also the gas cap constantly wants to cross thread, is this common?

3. Doesn't always like to start. even when warm

4. Head light sucks. so......... I installed a rigid industries Dually D2 spot driving combo I had. Problem solved

[​IMG]

Dark

[​IMG]

Light

[​IMG]