Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    It did come with the latest version. The latest version available when the unit was packaged.

When each new firmware update is released, should Garmin cut the seals on all packaged GPSr units in inventory and update them, then repackage them again? Each time?

Should they also recall all packaged units from all vendors and retailers for the same purpose?

Or should we just plug in the GPSr and update it once, when we receive it and unpackage the unit ourselves?

Some expectations are unreasonable.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the same reason why the Montana doesn't come with a printed manual. That would be a real moving target, trying to pin that information down in printed form.
  3. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It did not come in a box mate otherwise I would not have mentioned it

It came by itself with nothing except a battery in a bubble wrap bag, so yes I DO expect them to put the latest version software on it and I am not being unreasonable about my expectations

Cheers
    TravellingStrom
    Sent by arcane magic
    using Tapatalk
  4. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds like you had quite an adventure! We all hope that the third time is the charm!:freaky
  5. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I hope so too m8, because they haven't earnt the cost of the product yet in any way shape nor form
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I think by now we all know that the tempe wireless temperature sensor is defective. Garmin is working on producing corrected units and, if you reported yours to Product Support, you should get a new one when they are available. In the mean time, here is a description of how the tempe works - in case you haven't figured it out by now.

From Montana Dev Team:

I’ll give you a quick and basic example of how the feature works. I put the tempe under a light bulb and it reads 100°F at 10:00:00 AM on Thursday. I move it away from the light bulb and it somehow magically cools to 75°F at 10:00:01 AM on Thursday. It remains at 75°F until I heat it up to 85°F at 11:00:00 AM on Thursday. It then cools down back to 75°F and remains at that temperature. At 9:59:59 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 100°F. At 10:00:01 AM on Friday, the 24hr max will read 85°F. Because the 100°F temperature was greater than 24 hours in the past, it is no longer the 24hr max.

The 24 hour min/max temperatures are saved on the tempe. That allows the 24hr min/max to be preserved even if you turn off your handheld or walk out of range to the tempe, and it gives you more flexibility when using the tempe. As a basic example, you could leave it outside far away from your handheld device in the evening and then return in the morning with your handheld to figure out how cold it got the previous night. The only way to “reset it” and clear the 24hr min/max is to remove the battery from the tempe and wait several seconds. The tempe will then forget everything and start from scratch.​

I'm afraid I'll be somewhere between home and Tierra del Fuego when the new tempe ships - being optimistic.

Cheers,
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just received notice that Garmin has shipped me a Tempe as of today. I ordered it more than 8 weeks ago. I thought maybe they had lost the order. I'll be testing the unit I receive to see if it is a new updated unit or an older, malfunctioning version.
  8. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    anybody have a link to Open Street Maps with terrain view?
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Mine was reading a 24 hour high of +33, on a day it never went higher than 6C.

Guess I'd better ask Garmin for a working one.
  10. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    I also use to install all my maps onto my 16gb SD drive. But after loosing the Montana's SD drive connection out on the trail more than once, I've since altered my map install approach. I now install CN map onto the main drive as my primary basemap, just in case the SD goes south. That way I have at least one good working map. All my other maps remain on the SD.

The ear plug in the battery compartment works the majority of the time to make everything snug, but when the going gets really rough the SD can still vib loose, hence temp loosing your map. Should mention I've only had this occur on gnarly rock infested single track type trails. When this occurs the fix is easy though, open bat compartment, re-snug the SD drive and ear plug snugger.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You mean SD, not USB.

And this is how I keep mine in place:

[​IMG]
  12. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thing this was posted. I never checked mine as I was just using the current temp (mine was one of the first batch out of GPSCITY - Calgary). Anyway have checked it the past 2 days & I have a 45C as max & 0C as min & that hasn't changed even going on a cage ride (winter here) to verify that it does function.
    Guess I'll be calling Garmin support for a replacement.
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Guess I got lucky, my Tempe seems to be working correctly.
  14. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I currently have a 2720 and 60CSX and both work fine. I used the 2720 on the ST1100 for years with no issues. I got the 60CSX to use on the dirtbike in the woods and then when I sold the ST and got an FZ1 I started using the 60CSX on it as the 2720 seemed too big and blocked the gages.

I've got a Ninja 1000 now and took a few days trip this week with the 60CSX on it and the screen is too small for street use Im feeling. I am thinking of getting a Montana 600 to use on the street now.

What do you guys that have the powered cradle do about covering the contacts when you ride without the GPS? If I wired the cradle up to the bike it would be on a keyed power connection, so it would be "hot" anytime the bike is running.....if the GPS isn't in the cradle, how do you protect the contacts from getting wet and shorting out?

15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The Rugged Mount includes a rubber cover for the contacts. The cover is 'captive' on the mount so you can't lose it when you're not using it.
  16. number9

number9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, NICE. Thanks man.

17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Also, even if you forgot to use the cover, rain would not short it out. It's low voltage USB power, and nothing to really worry about. Most of the time I forget to use the cover and it makes no difference except to my paranoia. :lol3
  18. guavadude

Oddometer:
    I wired my AMPS mount with an SAE to the battery unswitched so it's always hot. I've seen someone else added a switch but I imagine the Montana doesn't draw much juice and I'll always take it off the mount when stopping.
    Am I missing something or is it ok to have the mount unswitched?
  19. guavadude

Oddometer:
    When I'm in map mode with no navigation, is there a pref to not have the way point "pin" drop? I'm having a hard time scrolling around without dropping pins.
  20. socaltrailrider

socaltrailrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a Montana this week. Best price I've found is at GPScity. Has anyone come across the Montana on any Black Friday sales?