How long should I wait after getting my nuts nipped to start a trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Two Wheeled 'Tard, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm planning on finally getting the vasectomy that I've wanted once I get back to the USA in April. Immediately afterwards, or as soon as possible afterwards, I'm loading up my V-Strom for what will be a 30,000 mile road trip.

So, has anyone here gotten their bean-bag spliced? How long did you have to wait before you could ride again, and how long before you could pull 400+ mile days?
  2. Stan Dalone

Stan Dalone Where ever I go, there I am!

Oddometer:
    I went immediately on a weekend car trip, I waited 3 days to use it, 5 days, to ride
    Mighta coulda lrode sooner, but damn,
    Who wants to screw up the best toy. :lol3
  3. pcwirepro

pcwirepro Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the no scalpel route. Walked out of the drs office got in the waiting truck and drove 100 + miles to Bear Lake Idaho for a boating trip. I was fine until I jumped off the back of our trailered boat. Yikes that hurt. A few bags of frozen peas later I was good to go. Bounced around that god forsaken windy hole for three days straight without incident.

Make sure your doc has done a few. I haven't had a full chub since and that was years ago. Do they still use metal clamps? Those dam things drive me crazy.
  4. ctjohnson

ctjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please explain this a little more.......
  5. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:

Don't let this guy scare you off if your continplating getting it done.

I had mine done over 20yrs ago and I can still drive railroad spikes and etch glass w/mine on any given Sunday morning. :thumbup
  6. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    My doc told me I should get chopped on Friday, back to work on Monday. Didn't work for me, a good week before I could walk right, but then that's me, a slow healer. It's not major surgery but it could come undone if stressed too soon. My guide is to wait a few days after I think I'm good to go, before I go. YMMV.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd wait a week to ten days. Why rush it ?
  8. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm thankful to hear the recovery time can be that short, I was worried I wouldn't be able to ride for a few weeks, or even a month. I've wanted a vasectomy since I was in my early 20s and knew that I never wanted kids, and the years since have only reinforced my desire. Looking very forward to getting it done!
  9. pcwirepro

Oddometer:
    Best $25.00 I ever spent.
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went in on Friday and rode Tuesday, took the extra day because of a flat.

You will know if extra time is need it base on the color of the injury (your balls may turn purple or not) so that is all. I did not experience any pain during the procedure and it took less than 20 minutes. The only uncomfortable day is the first one and it does not hurt, it is only like an itch and that is it.

And go on the trip!!!

Damasovi
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You certainly got a lot of varied opinions. Just remember; the advice you got is worth less than you paid for it. YMMV
  12. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I thought the procedure would be no biggee....I was wrong. Sore as hell for 5 or 6 days. On the 6th day I said screw it I might as well go for a ride...first thing I ever did, starting feeling much better afterwards.

Everyone is different....the boys will let you know when it,s time to ride...

Get a bag of frozen peas:deal
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doc told me a few days was all the down time needed. YMMV.:rofl
  14. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need a qualified female "nut inspector". My services are for free if you can make it to NC. LMAO:evil
  15. Andrejs2112

Andrejs2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine hurt for a week or more. Vicadan and beer helps. I wouldn't rush it. I'd give it two weeks. Stinging nuts wouldn't be welcomed on any trip I took.
  16. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think and you can also judge by above reports, that the after shock varies by person and maybe by doctor.

I was working construction in Commerce City, CO , took lunch off , got the cut,( two 1/2 inch incensions,one each side for vasdeference tube) back to work at 1Pm , worked until 4. Then boss and I packed up back packs, drove to Trapper;s Lake to fish all weekend,

I did wear 2 jockey straps, not just one but 2 at the same time for support. Luckly , no problems or pain.

me 2 cents.
    gale
  17. pcwirepro

Oddometer:
    I hope she's not a he.
  18. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    The Doc matters. The guy who did mine has done hundreds and has it down. He wanted me to take some valium beforehand, I was like, "No Way!"--but he explained that if I was good and relaxed there'd be almost no bruising afterwards. I've hear stories of docs having to pull down on the boys so hard to get it done that the soreness lasted for weeks.

I took the valium, had the procedure done Friday afternoon, and was back at work by bike Monday AM. I followed instructions to a "T", took it easy for two days with lots of frozen veggies, and had (and have) no issues.

Find a good doc, do what they say, and it'll be fine.

Steve

PS-Do NOT skip the follow up check; a third tube is present in as many as 25% of men. As a sonographer, I REGULARLY see "surprises" because Dad got "fixed" but failed to prove it. Nobody I know likes jerkin in a jar, but it's not done until you turn in your homework and get a clean count.
  19. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not a he... lmao... but I do like to mess with men's heads... they are soo easy... lol:huh
  20. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Careful there, I'll be in the Carolina's in late May, and you don't know anything about me :p. I could be 400lbs with like 8 chins and giant man-boobs and a fold stink problem. Or I could be 28 years old and an occasional model, with a perchance for cougars. You never know . . .