Financial Suicide: A new life behind bars

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stuntheavy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to make a big sweep into Mexico! I just got a sample of Baja a few years ago.
    I did make it to the top of Mt Princeton before Westfest, not as exciting as your attempt!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  2. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ladies and gentlemen, here's a little update on myself:

I had no idea what was in store for me after the trip. I had considered moving to NorCal, to work at the marina from the pictures. I considered going back to school. Mostly, I was leaning toward moving back to Maine.

The night that we arrived back in Houston, we went out for celebration with some good friends of mine. There was a car that I didn't recognize right off. It looked very European. Body lines similar (in my mind) to an Aston Martin. After some talk, it turned out it was a Model S. Austin has a fanatical knowledge of all things that Elon Musk is doing, so I thought Austin was surely going to hop in the frunk and never come out.

Long story short, I jokingly said that I wanted to work for them. Next thing I knew, I was going through the interview process!

A few weeks, and a very intensive interview process, I'm now working for Tesla! It's entirely different than the dealership atmosphere, and seems like this company is really taking care of it's people, and going places. It's been extremely busy, and 'reality' is back in full swing for me. Today is my first day off.

As Austin said many times on the trip "Be good to the Universe, and the Universe will be good to you". It's strange. I didn't place much value in this, for much of the trip. Then we end up back in Houston, and had I not drug my exhausted, lazy butt out for some drinks, things would not have fallen into place as they have.

So, for me it looks like Texas is going to be my home for a while longer!
  3. speedmonkey7

speedmonkey7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Congrats, that's amazing. Good luck with the new career. Keep making time to ride though!

Cheers, Speedmonkey7

Tiny keyboards, autocorrect, and ADHD...
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is awesome!!!! Congrats on the new digs!!!!
  5. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats. Don't forget...everything happens for a reason!!!
  6. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the new job. Sounds like an interesting opportunity.
  7. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tesla, eh? Well, that IS a happy ending. Well done!
  8. h2o_snow

h2o_snow Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer:
    Awesome - things happen for a reason. Good luck and thanks for the report!
  9. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    :deal
    Uh HUH!^)-
    see what I mean...:1drink

AWESOME.
  10. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Tesla are an amazing company ... and even better product. I've seen quite a few around my neighborhood. (Marin County, CA) I've seen one or two coming and going from the Lucas Film facility (now Disney). Spectacular car.

One of the nicest luxury cars on the market, IMO.
    Good luck with the new career!
  11. Klutch

Klutch gringo goatrider

Oddometer:
    What a great experience and RR. Hopefully you've caught the mexico and off-road bug! Can't wait for your next RR.
    Houston is a great place to learn spanish and the sportbike community there offers a little for everyone, especially stunters and tards. Stunt Garbage is based there too. I rode my old R1200GS Adv there a few years ago and hooked up with some riders trying to break the records running the loop around the city. I think it's hwy 8 and/or the Sam Houston tollway. My GS was way too slow for the open stretches to even keep them in site.
    Plus, you have the national forest for the XR. Trail Riders of Houston is a huge club that puts on state series races as well as plenty of national enduros. That XR is a little on the heavy side for serious racing in that part of the country but you can ride it to the tracks and OHV areas and have a blast. DBSA over at Zars Ranch is a great place to hone serious off-road skills. http://www.clubdbsa.org/newdbsa1/index.html
    Bill Canion is out there all the time boon-dogging the trails. I think he'll be 73 this year and is still riding strong. Tell him sgtsandbagger sent ya. He'll hook you up with riders that you can learn a lot from. His son Brian is one of my best buds and practically grew up at Zars. I would suggest a boon-dogging day there with Kent Howerton. The fastest two times I've been on a dirtbike both involved Kent. Once was on back of his old 92 CR250 when my bike broke down. The next was when he towed me with his KTM from the river to the pits when I ran out of gas. (I ride over 40 expert or one of the A classes for reference unless it' s Enduro where I sandbag a little in the B classes.)
    There's at least 12 MX tracks under 200 miles from Houston and tons of private tracks and trails. Enjoy South Tejas!!
  12. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    Holy shit dude! Congrats!!! Now that's icing on the cake.

Sounds like you learned The Secret. (It's a movie worth watching)

Best of luck, and make sure you slap an ADV sticker on that space ship of theirs :norton
  13. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 - And watching more than once, just to keep the message clear over the years.
  14. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    And lets not underestimate how solo camping can impact ones life (talking about being out of your comfort zone). Its one thing when you crawl in your tent in the woods but your boys are in the tent at the other end of the campsite. And, I am not talking about staying a campground. I have done this three times now, two were unusual experiences. Once truly in the middle of the woods and another on Brown Mountain in NC. It was a roadside campground on the way to the trail riding area at the top of mountain. The last house you pass is about 20 miles back. It was during the week and there was no one on the roadside campsites or on the mountain at all-based on my dusk spin on my KTM and miles and miles from another person. About 2:30am, something woke me up-one of those deals where you don't know what woke you, and you straining your brain to remember what was the sound? You fall back asleep but it happens again, and now your like-holy shit! :eek1. All I got is my pig sticker knife. Near as I can tell, it was a bobcat or larger circling my camp as it was very stealthy- not the typical night time creatures, coons, deer, bears, etc. Oh, and when I look out my tent window, I see the Brown Mtn lights- clear sky with stars but flashes of light like lightening but down closer to the earth and no noise. http://brownmountainlights.com FREAKY :eek1

Pretty much did it for me: I slept the rest of the night in my Jeep! :lol3

Your RR is great work and am jealous; would love to just get the heck out of dodge even if its just a crap destination; after all its the journey, no?
  15. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you car help build their electric motorcycle! (let the rumors begin...)

Congrats.
  16. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally Elon Musk Spoke at the Montana Economic Summit today.

Good luck in his Tesla Division
  17. bdogone1

bdogone1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a story! What a read! Thanks for your narrative. Get those stock options to save for a rainy day!
  18. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    X3 Yep I was 25 just the other day too :freaky Young, Dumb and full of xxm, as they say!! But, while I am 52 in age, it surely doesnt feel like it (except when I get up in the morning or when I have to run any distance :eek1) My wife says I am just a big boy, still playing with toys, trying not to take life too serious and want to play all the time. So the problem is? :huh:1drink

anywho, it does become more difficult to do an epic trip, if not for the fact that you will hear all kinds of grief, especially should you get hurt. I would say wad up the bike, but that would be her dream and great leverage why you shouldn't do trip likes this ( you think your 25!!) and why money on bikes is money wasted (where is my $10K dining room suite you promised me?) :hide

Boys do it now, every day your shorter of breath and one day closer to -:kboom
  19. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    If you don't do it now, you may never do it... Carpe diem.
  20. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the sweet giig too!

I enjoyed the hell out of reading this RR, sad to see it end, I hope you enjoy your next phase of your life. Stay safe.