Help with choosing tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by MADS, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Zactly what I was wondering - thanks! Last tent I bought was a JC Penny's pup tent back in the 70's LOL,,which I still have but not what I want to take down the TAT this summer.
  2. birddogone

birddogone Adventurer

Oddometer:

Call me old fashion, but that's steal'n in my book......
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

You are old fashioned.

Me too.
  4. Shesaid

Shesaid Still Trippin'

Oddometer:
    Other than a week in Vermont, what do you need this tent to do? Be super lightweight? Scrunch down small so you can pack it into tight spaces? Be free-standing? Sleep 1? Sleep 2? Sleep 3? Sleep 2 and hold extra gear?

The motorcycle is new for me-- tents! Now TENTS I know. I've been accused of having more tents than friends-- but if I get more friends, I have enough tents for all of us.

I suggest checkingout Coleman's website. Look at their backpacking tents-- the exponent line. I have two tents from this line. They are both simple, free standing, dome tents. They are competitively light and small, and significantly less expensive than the MSRs, Keltys, Sierra Designs, etc. Mostly: I have spent 100's of nights in them and never gotten wet in pouring rain, hail and snow. Absolutely amazing tents for the price.

The only one I like better is my Henry Shires Tarptent. Which has also kept me warm and dry in rain, hail, and snow-- although I don't recommend the snow, it was totally unexpected. But the thing weighs almost nothing and packs as easily as a garbage bag, it's hard not to love it.
  5. Racenut

Racenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like my Marmot Limelight 3. Just the right size for 2 people or super spacious for 1. Also has two doors so no climbing over each other in the middle of the night when nature calls. It's freestanding, easy and fast to setup. Even the rainfly clips to tent so no strings unless it's windy and you don't have enough gear inside to hold it down. Even then a stake at each corner has always been enough. Got it on super sale at REI used gear sale. Turned out it had never even been unrolled, the reason marked for return was it was too heavy for a backpacker. Perhaps not an ultralight, but it's certainly the lightest tent I've ever owned.
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    For motorcycle camping, you don't need to spend a fortune on a tent. But you need to figure out what aspects you want. Some things that greatly add to the price of a tent (ultralight, ultracompact, snow loading ability) simply aren't needed for most motorcycle campers.

Personally, I think three biggest qualities would be: waterproof, aluminum poles (rather than fiberglass), and ease of setup. Other things to consider would be venting, a decent vestibule, and the form factor when stored. Beyond that, everything is gravy for the average camper. Expensive gravy.

There are literally dozens (hundreds?) of tents that meet that criteria. Even a Walmart tent may work, but I would want several personal references to be sure the quality doesn't vary greatly. The easiest thing would be to find a tent you like from a major manufacturer and look at the reviews. Brands like REI and Kelty have tents that would work in the $100-200 range.
  7. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...Your most wisely spent money will be in your choice of sleeping pad and sleeping bag, regardless of the tent you select.

In a cold hard rain I could be really comfortable on my 3.5" thick Downmat sleeping pad and 0ยบ down bag even if water were puddling on the tent floor of a cheap tent. But in the same weather it could be miserable in a $500 tent with a poor sleeping pad/sleeping bag. Just sayin'...
  8. Dale950

Dale950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very happy with my Nemo Losi 2
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I've been using a 40 buck Ozark trail tent for about 6 yrs now and about half dozen times a yr. It still looks new, works great, and packs to 7x16. My only small beef is that I have to fish two poles x wise to set it up which takes almost minutes.

Ease of setup would be the only thing I buy another tent for, and that can be had for less than 100 bucks.

+1 on a good pad and mattress.
  10. outdoornate65

outdoornate65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently own 3 REI tents and love them all. Great quality. I do believe you get what you pay for when it comes to tents.
  11. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. It was on sale at REI for $159.
    I like that it is 4 inches wider and 9 inches longer that the Half Dome 2. It also has near vertical side walls and 2 doors.

It is still on sale a REI.
    [​IMG]
  12. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone here use a Redverz Gen II? Hope this won't be considered a hijack but there are a number of brands and styles mentioned but no-one mentioned the Moto-tent category.
  13. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Good choice. I've got the older 1/2 dome and it's been great. I've been looking at this one and trying to justify getting it when the old one is still going strong. :D
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:

Nice tent too many poles, imo
  15. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Does it matter when they're all hubbed together? The older 1/2 dome only had 2.
  16. Sheps3

Sheps3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Look into the Koppen Hmr 3 from Dicks sporting goods. I have many exspensive tents and tried this one on a similar ride last year. For $130 you cant beat it for a free standing tent thats light only 4 lbs. Thing is bombproof and comes with its own compresion sack to boot. Survivied winds in excess of 80 mph in a bad storm. Check it out.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    While I have no experience with this particular tent, any time you need several poles to put a tent together, especially when solo, adds to the aggravation. You'll be trying to put a couple corners together while trying to prevent the others from falling out. And they will.
    Add in night coming on, you'r in Labrador where the black flies are trying to carry you away, and you're also tired. :huh

The aggravation may not be enough to take yrs off your life, but it would be enough of a nuisance for me that I wouldn't even consider it. Especially when there are many other choices available.
  18. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are only 2 poles connected to the plastic corners on top and the ridge pole also connectingbto it. First time I set it up without instructions took less than 10 minutes.
  19. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How the pole setup works
  20. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use it. Love it.

It isn't light. It isn't small. It isn't free-standing. It takes a large campsite to set it up.

But it is absolute heaven to live out of on the road. Whether or not you park the bike in the vestibule is beside the point. It is great to have all your gear dry and inside...and be able to gear up without rolling around on the ground.