2013 Sandblast Rally - March 2 - SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Sep 26, 2012.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
  2. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:

:evil
  3. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Everybody's gotta be a comedian...... :lol3 Those paddle tires do look pretty wild, and seeing as I have never really ridden in sand maybe I should find some.

A few noob questions for everyone's entertainment:
    When can we sign up, and should I wait until after 1/13 to buy the rally membership and license or do it now??

Best local hotel / motel?

Lastly, the G sensor the rules say you need for riding after dark. Does this event require one and if so where do you get them?

-Thanks
  4. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    THe G sensor is not required! Regs should say you only really need a pair of flashing bicycle LEd lights.

A few local hotels... lots of us stay at the Jameson, but there are a few others.

I havent checked the website, so I dont know when entries open... should be soon, though! I would wait until after the new year to get the membership and licensening and stuff.

Tires have to be DOT.. at least they have to look that way from a few feet :D Paddle tires might not make that cut :wink
  5. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
    What type of advice would you give a newer rider thats never raced a rally like this before? I rode a lot as a kid, quit once I got my license, and just started riding again about 2 years ago (12 year break). I currently race harescrambles but have spent some time riding higher speed forest roads out west.

I ride a CRF450x with a steering stabilizer which I know will help in the sand. Are these rallys ridiculously tough or should it be not to bad for me? Either way, Im there lol.
  6. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Arrive on time, attend the new competitor orientation class (mandatory). Ride to finish and have fun. Try to learn how to do your timing controls etc. When racing just ride where you are comfortable and aim to finish. If the weather is dry then the sand can be deep and loose in places. If it rains then there is a lot of clay that gets greasy. Don't worry about winning the thing and just ride for fun...as the day progresses you will start to relax and have more fun as you get used to the conditions. etc.
  7. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks buddy.
  8. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the noob corner may be filling up!
  9. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    More noob questions. Anyone prefer one neck brace over another? Are they required or just a good idea?
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Dawn they arent required, but they are a good idea.

I couldnt tell you which one works better than another. Its nice to get one that coordinates with both the armor and a jacket, though... something I dont have.
  11. Seth S

Oddometer:
    A lot of us run Leatt braces....you just have to try one out to see if you like it. Some people cannot stand having them on and either use an alternative or not at all.
  12. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

+1 on the brace coordinating with your armor. I have basically modified all of my kit to work together with the brace, basically hacking into my 661 pressure suit to make it all work, then cutting the collar of my wind-breaker etc.

With my set-up the way it currently is, I don;t even know the brace is on while riding...
  13. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Hat's off to you Seth, you're really preaching the rally gospel:thumb
  14. Seth S

Oddometer:

I am in a charitable mood at the moment :rofl Running Tall Pines with Greg in the 280Z in November
  15. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I love that rally! I crewed for Iorio one year and had an absolute blast....after he wrecked a transmission of course (again:lol3). I ran a stage in the car and I don't recall it's name but it had a bunch of jumps and some really tight blind corners.
  16. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    Oh, right, armor. E-bay here I come :)
  17. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    My Wife has a newish Acerbis Koerta armor suit that she only wore twice, if you're interested. Size small/med. PM me and I can connect you both.
  18. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    SandBlast last year was my first rally after being back on a dirtbike for 6 months or so. I basically showed up with me, my bike, and my riding gear. I'd never raced before and I made it through just fine. Everybody was super helpful at figuring out where I needed to be and when.

Read the rule books to find out the right gear and bike tech and general rally rules. This will make registration and tech much easier. The beginner orientation will get you the rest you need to know about the actual race. The shakedown is worth it to get a feel for the sand.

Bring a friend or two if possible. I had a fantastic time and a great adventure doing SandBlast solo but had way more fun doing rally WV with friends and family there for the weekend!:freaky
  19. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    I got an Atlas Brace this summer and I LOVE it. It works with all my gear. I primarily wear it over my Axo Air Cage armor. It seems like it will be compatible with most armor. My camelback doesn't interfere with it either.

I like that it stays put without any buckles or straps.
  20. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Something with good knob like a TKC80 should be fine (17" right? ). There's a knobby by metzler that fits the big bikes too right? karoo?

Seems like alot of the dirtbike guys run Michelin S-12 for the tall knob that's good in soft terrain/mud/sand but I think they are only in 18" and 19" sizes.