KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    But please mention you had used a Windsurf sail .... :lol3
  2. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey! . this is me signing in to the 640 crew.. im an oz living in tanzania, and this bike is the best thing that has happened since i got here. bought it in joburg in 07 and rode her up. never looked back. she is currently residing in garage awaiting new starter clutch . anyone ever made a flywheel holder? as im here in east africa i cant get access to one any ideas welcome!!

cheers

steve
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Do they have 3/4" drive air impact wrenches in Tanzania? They work good. :evil

Lower tech option is a flogging spanner. If you don't have one on hand one can be easliy assembled from a decent 1/2" socket set. Put a short extension though the slider thing & duct tape it in place, put this on the socket & wallop the bastard with a FBH. LH thread too IIRC. Use lashings of Loctite on reassembly.

Cheers
    Clint
  4. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    An "improvised" flywheel holder: click!

-T
  5. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    If you can't keep track of your mileage using the trip set try turning the right side valve off.

When you run out of gas open it and go to the gas station.
    bill
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That's about my experience. 10km with warning light on before hitting reserve, and IIRC 50+km on reserve on-road... I don't have my spreadsheet handy, but pretty sure I've got that a few times.
  7. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion, but I am a quick learner. I haven't run out gas since that first time six years ago.

S.C.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    nope, just putting aorund
  9. liferider

Oddometer:
    Oops! you made me search what "put around" stands for... :huh
    Today I'm less illiterate than yesterday! :1drink
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    opps-that was supposed to be "putting around" as put put put put:muutt
  11. liferider

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  12. jmazz

jmazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New guy checking in. I've been a member on advrider for a long time but just got my first adv bike. It's a 1999 640 adventure. It was perfectly ride-able when I got it but it had a few little things I wanted to straighten out so now it is torn apart in my garage. Most of the items are covered in the thread index but I have a couple easy questions that I can't find the answers to.

First, I have a black Super Trapp exhaust. I've only seen that on a couple other bikes. When did that go away? I see even other 99s that have a different stock looking exhaust. Can this exhaust be modified just like the other Super Trapps?

Second, what front fenders are compatible? I think that pretty much everything KTM is but I wanted to be sure. Like are the aftermarket ones for smaller dirt bikes a direct fit on an adventure?

Thanks.
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Yep, pretty much any front guard from an adult-sized dirt bike will fit. I'm running a guard from a 2003 EXC and/or 2006 EXC. However it rubs on the hose between the radiators and the brace for the tank, so I've put a couple of flat washers on the two rear mounting bolts, between the triple clamp and the guard itself. That kicks it forward just enough for clearance.
  14. TEZZA

TEZZA ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the KTM 640a thread:D

The super trapp i think was made for the sc model .The left overs must have been put on until thay ranout.I have seen then only in the parts manual .The standard muffler are heavey and you can not do any adjusting to them , the muffler of the KTM 625 is a lighter and would work o.k as well as an aftermarket muffler . You may need to tune and jrt the carby to match the muffler.

I have put a aftermarket KTM 520 guard on and had to put the washers under the guard between the guard and the bottom triple clamp:clap . This is a common fault even with the standard front guard it rubs on the radiator hose .:huh

Tezza:D

15. gutsiegutsie

gutsiegutsie n00b

Oddometer:
    Help... I purchased a 2007 640 Adventure this past spring with 4,500 miles on it. The first week of July I took it to a local KTM mechanic (with what seems to be a good reputation) for a FULL service at 5,000 miles. It began leaking oil (never had an issue with oil leaking) after the first ride, and continued until I brought it back into the shop, but the oil level seemed fine and possibly too high.

Last week, August 3rd, I took it back to them with the oil leak and to do another oil change (6,200 miles). They told me the oil leak was from the C/S Seal, because it wasn't ridden much and appeared to dry out and the suddenly large amount of miles pushed it to a breaking point, and replaced the seal with the oil change. I picked it up on August 5th and went for a ride that same day. The bike stalled 120 miles (and 2-3 hours), after picking it up, later with NO oil in the engine and the sensor didn't go off.

I was towed into there shop that evening where they covered my towing expense and made an on-the-spot observation that it appeared that the leak was as a result of the recent seal, but now the leak location has relocated to the sensor area.

I got a call a couple of hours ago, where they told me it was the oil sensor area is where the oil had bled out of the engine. They are planning on taking the engine out, next Tuesday, to access any damage that may have been done and to prepare me an estimate.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is two (in a row and in a month) services where the bike has had oil issues afterwards.

My questions are:
    Are the oil sensors screwed in? If so, how could it back out that quick?
    I've read that the sensors don't even function, in the U.S. If so, does the apply to 2007 model too?
    My rear tire and rear brake were coated in oil in the process, should these be replaced or can (as they suggested) they can be cleaned?
    Anyone in the S.F. Bay area that is a 640/LC4 expert that needs a beer and doesn't mind asking some questions? Or any suggestions on someone that I may want to contact?
    Any other suggestions or questions I may be wanting to ask?

Things to note:
    The engine temperature, if the sensor is working (which it does appear to be), never showed the engine overheat.

I believe the true measure of a company is when things go wrong and how they handle it. Let's face-it mistakes happen with even the best of companies. Had they “owned it” I was prepared to make another big purchase from them, as a thank you for honesty, a lot earlier than I planned to. They would have had a definite customer for life.

I'm not saying they are lying to me, but given the above I need some help understanding if these issues are typical? Especially in close proximity to each other.

Thanks for your help.
    Robert
  16. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I'm local to you, but I'm not sure if I could be of much help. For one thing my bike doesn't have an oil pressure sensor.
    The first incident sounds more like a countershaft seal that started leaking because the oil level was too high than an old, dry seal. A 2007 bike with 5,000 miles should still have good seals.

Edit to add:
    Tire and brake should be fine: that's what brake cleaner is for, after all. Just be careful with it, don't get it on plastics, etc. And also, keep your eyes open about whether you want them to rebuild your engine, if that is what needs to happen (I imagine it will be). There are other options out there, I'll send you a pm with one or two.
  17. TEZZA

TEZZA ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer:
    Hi Robert , if the oil level is to hi the oil will be sucked up through the breather and get dumped in to the airfilter box and them leak out the airbox drain and look like it is the counter shaft seal leak .
    This what i have had on my 2002 / 640A and the same on a 2002 640E that i had , the oil level to get it to the correct level you need to follow the manuel to get it correct .
    The sencors are screwed in and should not unscrew them self .
    Make sure you have your service reports with the info on the problems that you have had and repaired ??????????:huh
    I think that the Dealer need to be responsable for any bad repairs that are made .
    When you have your bike rebuilt i think you need to find a better machanic that you can ask questions and get the answers that you need with out pushing you away .
    Good luck Tezza:D
  18. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Mate,

When I got my 2005 640A a few years ago, I learnt to do the basic stuff myself. There are guides (here on advrider.com) to nearly most of the stuff (engine wise) that should be required on this bike for a while.

I don't think I could be trusting this mechanic/shop a THIRD time. Look around, ask questions. Maybe you will be lucky like I was and found an excellent mecahnic who works from home.

He rebuilt my engine last year (long story, don't ask) and the thing has never run better (or quieter).

Good luck and use advrider.com as your first point of reference.
  19. gutsiegutsie

gutsiegutsie n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zak, for your help. I knew this area was too big and too many KTM riders, not to have some other options.
  20. gutsiegutsie

gutsiegutsie n00b

Oddometer:
    Tezza,

Thanks, I went in to them to diagnose an oil leak and not replace a counter-shaft seal. If that screw was even backing out, it would have been leaking during the repair. Was it the oil sensor screw backing out the whole time and it was misdiagnosed as the countershaft seal? Or were both items issues? Probably will never know. Zak gave me some good options, in our area.

Thanks,
    Robert