Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Coldest temps I've ridden it (yet) were 28°F aka -2,6°C a few days ago

Too many people told me I was nuts...
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    My favorite:

We were on some sort of single track with the 950/990's and came upon a group of riders taking a break on little bikes 2-strokes and 450's. We had to stop cause they were blocking the trail. While waiting to go past one of them looked at us and asked if we were lost.

I just said no we were on our way to lunch.

:lol3
  3. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

I usually just say: "B--B-BRRRRRRRRRRR". :norton

In '08 I rode from Vancouver to Toronto in the last week of Nov.

Snow in Roger's Pass, and north of the Great Lakes.

The snow in the Rockies was not much trouble.

The snowstorm north of the 'Lakes would have been doable if it hadn't been night, and

if the road wouldn't have kept meandering about.

Kept my heels on the ground like outriggers so I knew what vertical was...

I went off the road 4 times before I found a motel. :eek1

I'm afraid I don't recall anybody saying anything stupid to me.

Hell, nobody ever says ANYTHING to me, except for cops. :nono
  4. Iwantabikesobad

Iwantabikesobad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Driving home from work today. Bunch of people having a car wash. Truck was dusty I pull in and get it washed. Very nice people sad story. Take the truck home and get wifes bike, BMW X country and head back down for a wash. Girls liked it as they didnt have to jump to reach the top. Keep in mind I have the only bike in the parking lot,Plus the only fellow in gear holding an Arai helmet. One of the car wash guys not 10' away goes(Wow who the hell brought a bike to get washed? Crickets chirp and the girls all laugh.
    Take it home and get the Suzuki DR-200. Again girls think its Neat i brought a bike to get washed. I leave and go home.
    Get the KTM 990 ADV warmed up, Ride down to the lot. They wash it and again the fellow comes over and after looking at the bike says. (What is that? Some kinda dirt bike) Me yep its a dual sport. The guys says you mean its got plates on it. Yep I rode it here. Then he asks( can you ride it anywhere?) I say sure I take it lots of places.
    He asks how big the fuel tank is. I show him the dual tanks. Here it comes.
    He says I just bought a 2012 Yamaha Star 1800cc vagina slide XYZ something or other. Lots of crome he says.
    He then asks me( Could you ride that bike to Los Angeles?) I said sure its about a 2 hour ride.
    Deer in the headlights look. You mean you could ride a bike that far he asks. Sure no problem I say. He says thats way to far to ride. I then noticed his wife in the background rolling her eyes and giving me the look ( sorta a dont give him any ideas look).
    So I again gave condolences to the girls, fired the bike and rode the long way hope to dry it off.
  5. Turkishexpress

Turkishexpress Groper

Oddometer:
    Back in the days... So, you ride a crotch rocket. That's dangerous. (as opposed to your HD, scooter, tourer being much safer)

Now... single sided swingarm huh? Did they fix that flexing issue with those? - Ok this only happened once but I found the question very annoying for some reason. What is it with people wanting to sound smart all the time about any given topic, hobby, whatever the case might be.
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    My favorite response to this is: "Well, I've never had it over 205." If you whisper conspiratorially, it adds to the drama.

Of course, I've never had my bike past 150 and it tops out soon after that, but it's also technically true that I have never had it over 205 mph.
  7. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've never had mine over 205kph. Of course, it doesn't even make that.....
  8. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    This time of year I get a lot of the same 'How do you stay warm in this weather' type of stuff.
    I usually just point to the Gerbings controller clipped ot my jacket and say 'works just like your car heater'.
  9. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    funny shit right there :rofl
  10. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just yesterday a lady asked what was holding my Speed Triple's wheel on.... :lol3
  11. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magic..:evil
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's actually not a bad question. She noticed your bike, noticed the single-sided swingarm, realized it was different, and asked a question about it. I'd say she's alert, observant, and a motorcycle enthusiast.
  13. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    That could have been comedy gold. "The same thing that holds onto the handlebar, a nut!"
  14. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember when airhead BMWs first started growing single sided swingarms and being vaguely horrified until I realised that the back of my car had two (mirror image) single sided swing arms, aka trailing arms, and the wheels didn't fall off that. very often. and that was a front wheel anyway. it was quite exciting. and entertaining for the guy mowing his lawn 20 feet away.

[​IMG]
  15. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ^2CV??

at work... "You aren't going to wear that ugly yellow vest, are you?"
    "Uh, yeah...."
    "You are SUCH a BMW rider....."

I smiled. :D
  16. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I'll answer, because I know that's the ass end of a Mini (the proper one, not the BMW replica). Just sold mine last month.
  17. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    2CV indeed! hah! They're hung on springs and wires, not bits of rubber and levers.

Mine was a Moke and actually looked completely different in almost every respect to that car, different body, longer trailing arm, different (spaced) brake drum, but it had the same after market adjustable length link to the rubber cone to alter the ride height. I tore the centre out of the front left wheel (fatigue not fanging!) on a 90deg right turn (no intersection) in suburbia, so we calmly stopped and jacked it up and put the spare on and continued on our way, to the amusement of the guy mowing the nature strip next to us. He never said a word to us.
  18. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Two this summer:

1st, in Scranton: I'm sitting next to the bike, in the shade, having a sip of water. Guy walks up to me and says, "Can you fix the air conditioning on my car?" :huh

2nd, in Louisiana someplace (I'm from New York): Guy looks at my plate while I'm gassing up and says, "You ride that thing here?" :lol3
  19. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride today. Long boring highway ride, saw a fast moving bike ~1/2 mile ahead. Went WFO right up to ~150/240 for a short ways, other bike took the exit I needed.

Caught him as we neared the red light at the exit end, was a state trooper. Didn't even look over at me. :norton
  20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    OOPS!

I had a similar experience, I was riding my 79 KZ 650 flat out on Route 83 I realized I couldn't see my brother in my mirrors, and wondered where he went. I then realized that I was at my exit so I slid over and down the ramp. Just as I was going down the ramp I saw the state trooper go blowing past the exit! Lucky me that day!!:clap