Yamaha Super Tenere vs BMW 1200GS: The Verdict

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Jun 3, 2010.

1. roostar

roostar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya like what ya like. No need to justify it to anyone. I've got the S10 now but had an 05' GSA. Love them both. Twist the throttle when you can and enjoy yer ride.
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  3. simmersonwheels

simmersonwheels Asleep at Switch

Oddometer:
    My 1150 had had a fairly easy life, input shaft let go, at 30k. It took out the clutch at the same time.
    I've had around 60 bikes, and the BMW was the only one that ever had to go home on a trailer. Since then I've had 4 DL1000's, never a single problem of any description. Just put a Tenere on order after a friend gave me a 1500k trial. Hope it's a good year for riding
  4. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great friend :clap

Never had an issue with the Strom or the 75,000Km old SV either, except for the water in the front plug thing.
  5. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny thing, I hope Marty reads this, he will write a few words about the DL 1000. I cant list all the things wrong with that POS, and yes I have owned 3 DLs. I just thought the next one had to be better. Never will I own another. The DL is maybe the biggest POS ever built. Just saying.

6. simmersonwheels

simmersonwheels Asleep at Switch

Oddometer:
    1 DL had the shifter pivot loosen and fall off, other than that oil and filters only. I rode the piss out of them, but almost all road miles. Never even had to change a battery. My riding buddy had a gs1150a, rode 100k with just few minor issues, and only one stranding that wasn't the bikes fault (shorted power commander). I loved riding my Gs, but I wouldn't trust it to go across town without something going wrong. It sure put the "adventure" in adventure ride.....
    I guess we'll see how the super t performs
  7. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    With the reports of the 2013 GS being better in every way than the 2012 GS, the gap between it and S10 is going to widen even more. And now with KTM producing a more street friendly 1190 while still retaining it's dirt superiority over the others, it looks like a redesign of the S10 will be needed sooner than later.
  8. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Triumph Explorer weighs more than the SuperTen, no one's complaining, why? Let's be honest here, adventure touring bikes that see any dirt roads are in the slim minority.. the vast majority of owners buy them as an alternative to sport touring bikes for day all day comfort. So the whole weight thing is moot.. it's 30 lbs separating most of these bikes..

The new GS with all the bells and whistles will surely cost around $20K and then deal with "teething" issues. And if the "teething" issues of the K1600 bikes is anything to go by, there will be issues with the GS.

People who buy the SuperTen buy it because they don't want a BMW. Nothing fancy about it, it has the basics, adds ABS and traction control and no "teething" issues, no software updates, no major failures, no major recalls.

I'm contemplating the purchase of Triumph Explorer but it felt top heavy when I tried it.. I'll have to give it another try..

KTM? I made that mistake once... and seeing engine coolant in my oil, sheared bolts ruining the stator, water pump and clutch slave failures... to say nothing of the 3 hours it would take to change the oil... no thanks.
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really. I thought they were pretty much the same, give or take a few kilo's, different COG maybe but dead weight...:dunno

Maybe as a whole category but the S10 I would say minority but not slim. Plenty of dirty s10's around. Different strokes for different folk.

That's what is so good at the moment. you have a whole range from hardcore off road brittle pigs to full bore jacked up tourers.
  10. XB12Xforfun

XB12Xforfun It can be fixed!

Oddometer:
    I've had my Tenere for 2 years and I'm very pleased. I've been on single track, dirt roads, twisties, commuting, all day rides and short spirited rides. This bike has done them all very we'll. I am not a dirt guy so the traction control and ABS have worked flawlessly.:clap I'm not an iron butt guy and after 8 hours in the saddle I'm sore and tired. I'm just a regular guy that loves being on two wheels. I agree that the KTM is probably better in the dirt and I'm always reminded of that by every KTM rider that quits being snobby long enough to tell me again or to remind me that the abs won't work in the dirt or the Tenere is lacking in horse power.......I get it, that's fine. I have NEVER NOT MADE IT TO THE DESTINATION! Maybe I rolled in a little behind ( KTMs ) but still made it and had fun getting there. My ability determines the where and how I ride, not the bike. If I had a GS or KTM I'm sure some guy would blow by me on a Tenere!! :lol3 Super Ten, GS, KTM, Triumph, doesn't matter, they are all big and heavy. Give or take pounds for each model, if it weighs over 125 pounds, no body wants to pick one up! I will say the Ten hides the weight very well and if falls didn't hurt and money was no object and I didn't have to go to work and support my family....I might just ride it faster, harder, and try to keep up with rock star Bob on his farkled KTM :D. Would I trade it? No! I think the GS is an icon, really, much respect but they improved it after the Tenere was introduced :lol3
  11. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    One for each:

[​IMG]
  12. TRUBRIT

TRUBRIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long Term test...
    Yamaha Super Tenere – Long-Term Wrap-Up

Is it still an adventure if nothing goes wrong?:D

The Go To Bike....chase bike....Photo Bike......The moment we threw a leg over a Yamaha Super Ténéré’s saddle, we were hooked. The parallel-Twin-powered adventure bike soon proved to be the best all-rounder in the class, even earning Best Adventure Bike honors in 2012. Thrown into multiple comparison tests, the Super T always performed well, on-road or off.

The final note?..........<TABLE style="MARGIN: 10px 0px 30px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">REPAIR COSTS</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: rgb(246,246,246); PADDING-LEFT: 10px">$0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>:freaky
  13. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
  14. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it :rofl:rofl:rofl

Brian
  15. Poway

Poway SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer:
    The yamy isn't in the same league as a BMW 1995 R1100GS, let alone a 1200!
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's why we bought the Tenere. Wanted to step up a league.:wink::D
  17. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I sure like mine...alot. I'll be keepin' mine a long time for sure. I hear the ecu reflash helps alot with the power but I'm really pretty happy for now.
  18. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I own a Tenere, and I've ridden the new water cooled GS. The GS might be 5-10% better to ride than my bone stock tenere, but that is easily offset by the 6k less I paid for the Yamaha and the fact that Teneres do not break, ever. Say that about any BMW made in the last 10 years. :deal
  19. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thing is Yamaha set out to build the best tool for the job and because the job doesn't include status seeking and wowing the mc press it may feel bland and unexceptional to some, especially when compared to something like the BMW. It's a Japanese thing - no nonsense engineering, built for purpose, practicality and reliability. I too have ridden the new WCGS and it is a beautiful machine to say the least - maybe too beautiful. Would I want to own one? Sure. Would I take it, straight out of the box, to the places I've taken the S10 in the past two years? No. Poway is right - they are in leagues of their own and it's wonderful to be able to choose which league we want to buy into for the type of riding we do. :freaky
  20. techgeek

techgeek International Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    I have a R1200GSA and a Super Tenere. They each are great bikes in their own right, and they each have their own relative strengths and weaknesses.

Things I like better about the GS:
    Engine- although power feels about the same, the GS seems more usable, even if you're off two gears.
    Handling- despite feeling "taller" it handles better and is more confidence inspiring. It could be adjustment but it seems to sop up the bumps better, too.
    Ergonomics- for my height/build, the GS is way more comfortable. It's not great but I can ride 2x longer without aching. My toes already scrape on the S10 in corners so I can't lower the pegs, and seat is already at high setting. Ass goes numb on tenere in half the time.
    Fuel Range- 300++ miles/tank vs 200? GS by a mile.
    Factory luggage: GS's is more sturdy and spacious.
    Looks- superficial, I know, but I think the GS is sharper. I definitely get more positive comments, if anyone cares about such things. ;)

Things I like better about the S10:
    Off-road capabilities- S10 wins hands down. Bike feels much smaller and more confidence inspiring. Electronics (TC/ABS) work very well so you don't have to.
    Perceived reliability- Although the only things my GS has ever required have been tires and oil changes, I suspect the S10 will cost less in the long run.
    Initial purchase cost- S10 is 8 or 9 tenths the bike at two thirds or so the cost. Economic win for S10.
    Repair costs- replacement parts are way cheaper
    Bag liners- even though they take up precious space, they are nice logo'ed bags ;)
    Electronics- Love the standard 12v power outlet up front vs 12v powerlet under seat. S10 wins until I spend $15 on ebay for usb/12v socket from china.

End result is the two are damned close to each other. If the bikes cost exactly the same, I'd buy the BMW 100 times out of 100. At the current pricing, I bought the S10 instead of another GSA. Due to ergonomics, fuel range, and a riding bias that tends toward pavement more than dirt, I find myself wanting to take the GSA out more often. The GS is a better highway cruiser, for me, at least.

I'd say it's like comparing a BMW automobile to a Nissan/Infiniti. The BMW has more soul and is more fun to drive, but the Infiniti is close enough and might be a little more reliable, even if it's not as engaging to drive. Kind of like anyone who loves driving will pick the M3 over the G37, assuming adequate funds and no anti-German bias. (which somehow strangely exists..)

my two cents, which are worth exactly what you paid for it.