Ural paint...2 steps below Testors model paint...

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Spicy McHaggis, Jun 29, 2008.

1. frederickflintsone

frederickflintsone Flaming Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    I have driven more then one, I looked at an older one that blew so much smoke I was afraid the EPA would come (it only had 3,400 kms on the clock). I have ridden in the hack of one and had a much bigger simle than I thought posible. I do not trash them from a position of ignorance. I work in the engineering field an I am critical of how things are produced, what they cost to produce and the level of quality that the customer can count on.
    I still want one regardless of my opinion of there overall longevity. I desperatly wish to take my two year old on a motorcycle ride. I also wish to own an new R1200 GSA. at this point I can afford niether, but if I were to make payments on a toy, it would be a GS. I repeatedly see GS's with 60K miles on them for sale. I have never seen a ural for sale with that kind of milage. I am not saying it isnt posible. I dont know.
    I research what ever I intend to buy before I buy, and time and time again, people talk about ural's, dneprs and cj's as being very maintainace intensive to own, (with urals rated highest and cj's fairng much worse) I still want one.
    my biggest gripe with the 2008 ural is that there is not enought tecnoloical improvements in the bike to justify the huge MSRP. they are probubly using 50 year old tooling to make most of the tub and frame. and 25 year old tooling for the engine. anything new on the bike is from outside vendors.
    the bottom line is if you spend $14,000 on a NEW motorcycle the paint shouldnt fall off!!!
  2. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    You shoulda bought that old Ural, Fred. I bought it,instead. Sure,it was blowing smoke-that's because an exhaust valve was bent. One new valve, and a head gasket,maybe $30-$40 total, and it has been a dependable ,one-kick starter for me. I'm happy with it.
  3. frederickflintsone

frederickflintsone Flaming Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    when I looked at the bike you bought, I didnt know what I know now. It was the first ural I ever looked at. my leg was in a cast and i had to have my best freind drive it for me. (he had major issues shifting it witch you didnt have) not knowing how simple the repair was, it seemed best to pass.
    in retrospect, it may have been a good bike to pick up. sometimes you have the "should have bought the first one I looked at". I looked at a half dozen wranglers before i bought my last jeep, and I wish I would have looked at a dozen more.
    I am glad the bike has worked for you, maybe my looking at it and passing soffend the guy up so you could get the price you got. at the rate my son is going he will have his first pw50 before i can give him a ride in a sidecar.