The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, thanks for posting. Me thinks Yamaha is trying to make up for an aggressive price for the basic bike with some ambitious accessory pricing ($400 grip heaters?!). And its chintzy of Yamaha not to provide at least some modest discounts with these bundles vs. individual pricing.

Me thinks SW-Motech is going to be doing some very brisk accessory business with this bike.

- Mark
  2. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All you have to do is take time the read the thread you are posting in. It's not that long. :lol3
  3. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why go through the energy of opening any of the 3 threads that are right in front of his face on the first page, when he can just make yet ANOTHER S. Tenere thread and just wait for

an the answer. :freaky :huh

Especially the thread entitled 'XT1200Z Yamahas Super Tenere comfirmed coming to the U.S. in MAY 2011.' I guess it's too much of a struggle to even read the thread titles. :-)
  4. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  5. kinkster

kinkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys after reading all the info about the super ten I pulled the trigger today and it arrives at the dealers on Monday for pick-up Wednesday I hope.
    Look forward to comparing it to the GSA?
  6. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We may have the bike 12 months ahead of you guys but we sure pay a premium for it when you consider the US and Aussie dollar are near parity.
    Motorcycle - Accessories

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" width="600"> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="250">
    <!----> [​IMG]

Click on image for larger picture.
    Appearance of some items available locally may vary from image shown.
    </td> <td valign="top" width="400"><table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="3" class="headBlkText">Heated Hand Grip Kit

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" class="P8">Keep your hands warm even on the coldest of days with these heated hand grips.

- Seamlessly fits the Super Tenere.
    - Auto shut-off function conserves battery life.
    - Switch bracket included.
    - Stepless temperature control.
    - Mounting hardware included.
    </td> </tr> <!--<tr> <td colspan="3" class="P8">Stock Qty Available: </td> </tr>--> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="6">
    </td> </tr> <form action="AddToCartFromLink.asp" method="get" name="form1"></form> <tr> <td class="P8" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" width="121">23P-829A0-00 <input name="ProductID" id="ProductID" value="7899" type="hidden"> </td> <td class="NBlue8" valign="top" width="90">$585.90 </td> <td class="NBlue8" valign="top"><input src="http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop/images/add_to_wish_list.gif" border="0" type="image"></td> </tr> <!----> <tr> <td colspan="3" class="P8">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Fits: 2010 XT1200Z[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  8. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    even if the yamaha kit was the same price as the oxford kit.. I'd still have bought the oxford kit..

IMO, a MUCH better looking controller and throttle
  9. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the Super 10 engine on the Freeway? I sold my F800GS, because it was a little "buzzy" at 60/65 mph. It was fine above 70. With the 270deg. Yamaha engine, do you notice vibration at cruising speeds?
  10. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    nope.. smooth as a babies bum.. sits at around 3500rpm IIRC.. (well somewhere around there)
  11. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yup.. What he said ^ ..
    Sits at a lazy (around) 3800rpm at 120kph in top.

Still heaps of rapid passing grunt but if you get in a panic, one tap with the left foot see's the speed climb very quickly.

Greg.
  12. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you all got me laughing my A$$ off this morning!:rofl
  13. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "aggressive price for the basic bike"

I kinda thought the MSRP was less than expected, and I doubt that the Aussies or Europeans would agree with the USA price being aggressive compared to what they pay. And with the discount I got, I think it is a whale of a deal.

JDP
  14. rocca

rocca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on the Yamaha grips...and my fingers are starting to get cold!

Sounds like your experience of the Oxfords is better than mine -- I've never had a set last longer than 2 years and have had much grief with the new electronic control design. Yamaha's appears to be an ugly old rheostat, which will be fine if it works (and ever gets here).
  15. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I have heard story/s on this forum with regards to the reliability of the Oxford grips.. No such problem with the Yamaha grips as these are time proven on the FJR (and probably others?).

Greg.
  16. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair... None of those threads have "Super Tenere" anywhere in the first two words of the title. If you don't know what an XT1200Z is you have to skip all the way to the 4th or even 5th word to get Super Tenere.

Pretty tricky of people to try to hide the real subject of their thread!
  17. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :huh :lol3 :rofl :clap Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning to brighten my day! ! !:oscar
  18. shadowjack

shadowjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An XT120...

Hey, lookit that over there...

What attention span?
  19. combo

combo D S N

Oddometer:
  20. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First thing I would do if I had the Oxfords is open the controller and either fill it completely with avionics grade Silicone Rubber or epoxy. Seems like the overwhelming amount of failures are from water intusion into the controller.

I think, when the time comes for my next set of heated grips, I may well go with a Heat Troller or similar.