Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    I'm qbout the same weight s you in riding gear and have Intiminators on order.

What would you suggest for fork springs?
  2. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
  3. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I agree that these shocks aren't working for me. Bottom out at 1 and 2, 3's alright, then it gets pretty stiff from there.

I'm looking for a pair of Custom or Low shocks off an 09 for the springs and am going to mate those to my roadster bodies next. I just can't afford any decent commercial shocks :cry
  4. Wanna Ride

Wanna Ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garandman - if money is no object, set your suspension up like mine. See the "7 Pages of Suspension" on the XL Forum for more information. Heavier, more aggressive riders, and riders more aware of what really good suspension is will like the Works fork spring, Intiminators with Amsoil 5w oil better. You also need better tires and fork brace.

Bloodweiser, you are referring to the "Whittlebeast Hybrid" shocks. Make sure to put the spacer on the bottom of the shock so the spring does not rub on the shock body. You will be amazed how good that shock is for your weight. Get the Custom spring. Whittlebeast and I worked together to figure out good Rubber mount suspension set ups. Again, more details in the "7 Pages of Suspension", or at least to links located there.
  5. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I meant that they are similar, in that they are made to work in conjunction with the stock damping unit.
  6. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:

Yup. Pretty psyched to try out this option, I really want to be satisfied with something cheap :deal

So, are the 09 springs worth holding out for? I've stumbled on lots of custom springs, but none from 2009+
  7. garandman

Oddometer:
    I've ordered or received Intiminators, SuperBrace, Metzler ME880's, and Ricor shocks.
    Presumably I need a heavier front spring. I'm also going to have a seat built up to more like a bench.

Also have an eyebrow fairing and drag bars wrinkle-coated black. And the wheels are being powedercoated black as well. Should have it on the road in about two weeks.
  8. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    My contribution..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 and davyjones like this.
  9. pescatore

pescatore Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Garandman, do you have a plan for the seat built up more like a bench? I want something like that too, probably will try to hack up an extra stock seat. I'd much rather find something pre-built though...
  10. Wanna Ride

Wanna Ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before 2009, everybody complained about Sportster suspension on all the models. Starting in 2009 and after, the complaints about stock suspension went down dramatically, so I assume Harley finally got the spring rates and damping curves right. That's probably the reason you see so few shocks from 2009 and later for sale. Since 2009, the most frequent complaint I read about Sportster suspension is from someone trying to ride two up on a model with short travel suspension.

I don't know if there is any difference in different years of Custom springs. Either way, I would be sure to get one with low miles. It depends on how long you want to wait to find a 09 or earlier Custom spring.

I'm 6' 3". I bought a Harley Sundowner seat which moved me forward 1", but then added 2" extra padding and a Air Hawk seat cushion on top of that. Go up and forward, not backwards, with the seat.

That may be true, but I doubt the damping mechanism and characteristics are similar. I'll have to wait until I read ride reports about the Works insert. My suspension testing days are over, at least until I buy another bike.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

I will be working on a bench seat for my Sporty in a couple of months. If it comes out like I hope it will I may be willing to build 2. Here's a Photoshop drawing I did.

[​IMG]
  12. garandman

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take a stock solo seat and the pic wishing4woods made to the local auto/marine upholstery shop and say "build this!"

They did a great job building up an SV650 saddle for $100.
  13. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Nice design.

terry
  14. pescatore

pescatore Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that looks about right. I might try the same trick with a local shop. I have an extra stock seat that's just screaming for some experimentation.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Do it and don't forget the pics!! :freaky
  16. garandman

Oddometer:
    It's at the shop but will take two weeks.
    I asked them to make a seat with a bench shape and the top parallel to the seat base. They are going to use some high density foam to build up the dip, but aren't really sure how it will look just yet.
  17. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    that bike is a set of pro taper handle bars from me sending you a blank check. :eek1

love it.
  18. garandman

Oddometer:
    Here's the front wheel with the semi-gloss black powdercoat and new Metzler. I'll have the other wheel this afternoon.

Now if the RMV would just un**** the title situation, I would be able to ride it!

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 1/4 fairing yesterday and mounted it up. If I keep it I will definitely need a 7 inch headlight to go with it.

[​IMG]
  20. newride

newride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have been planning to get a 2004-2006 1200 sportie for a while. Got to rent an 2007 883 out in Hawaii last week. Wow, the little 883 is impressive I must say and I dig fuel injection. did not notice much difference in power between 883 and 1200 honestly.
    I may just get the 883 now and upgrade later.
    I want one!!!:D