KTM 690 SMC comments and links please

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Migs, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    Friends:

Can anyone comment on the KTM 690 SMC bike as far as % on road / % offroad? (Assuming for offroad I change the tires to knobbies). I'm considering it as a substitute to my BMW F800GS which I find too heavy and intimidating. I mostly drive on highway, but there are a lot of dirt roads and such. How comfortable is it on long drives? 1000km+ What about mileage per tank?

Any links to reviews, videos etc. would also be appreciated.

Thanks amigos,

Migs
  2. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want knobbies, you'll want a 690 enduro, not smc.

All possible information on these are already here on a couple threads already.
  3. Migs

Oddometer:
    Hi. The problem with suggesting an enduro bike is that I won't be able to drive it 1000km+ on a highway without considerable discomfort. Eduro bikes tend to have very hard suspensions and limited instrumentation and creature comforts (like the BMW F800GS)-Migs
  4. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:

So why did you ask about the SMC? They're the same bike except for wheels, forks, rotors and a few other minor differences.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    You need to test ride one to see if it will fit the bill for you. I had an SMC and loved it, but could only stand it for about 90 minutes at a time due to the vibrations even with an aftermarket (SeatConcepts) seat. While I loved that bike for ripping around town, after a while I realized it just wasn't practical for me.

To me, a big single can be just a little too much of a good thing. While the power is great, the vibration at speed can really get old. Having ridden an F800GS for ~500 miles, I'd say it's a much more well-mannered bike, and a lot less of a "ripper". Just make sure the bike you pick suits the actual type of riding your going to do (not the Dakar rally, or some post-apocalypse dream) and you'll be fine.

Also, don't forget the special oil you need to buy when you're factoring in this purchase. I don't like having to buy my oil over the internet (no local KTM dealer), so I'd rather stay with a BMW, Triumph, Honda, etc.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Agreed, riding it is the only way to determine how you're gonna like it. Now me, I can throw down 300 - 400 mile days in the twisties easily on my 690 E with 17's wheels on it. Vibration doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does some folks. And WSMC is right, very little difference between the Enduro and the SMC.

As for riding the hiway, I don't. Hiways are for cars.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Special oil! :rofl
  9. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    That's fair. Most of my miles are on paved roads going 45-80 mph. If I was cruising country / dirt roads at 50 mph, I would have found the bike more enjoyable.
  10. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I'm telling you, the first time you have to buy bright red 10w50 from the internet, it changes a man....:D
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh
  12. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:

I've seen oil analysis of the motorex, and have researched why ktm says to buy it. It goes into both mine, while the other bikes get generic mobile one.

Not sure what's funny about that....
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    My KTMs used to have a Shell sticker on the case cover. Anything will work of the correct moto wet clutch type. A 690 or 505 will live as long and healthy with Rotella or any other brand.
  14. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, like I said, I've done a fair bit of research, and there are some differences in the 690 lc4 motor vs a 505, and it has nothing to do with the clutch.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, but both share a wet clutch, ,,nevermind. Factor in special oil to the purchase price. :norton
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Heh, in motard set up I rarely slow down to 80 except in the 35 MPH and slower curves. :lol3
  17. Migs

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the heads up and info on the 690. What I really liked about the idea is that it is 170 lbs lighter than the F800GS. But the cost seems to be in the vibration and oil. I still don't get the oil part. Do you have to premix it with the fuel like a two stroke?
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Oil????? It's a 4 stroke, there's no pre-mixing. KTM SUGGESTS using Motorex 10W60 oil, but plenty of folks use other stuff. Hell Bob uses diesel truck oil. :lol3
  19. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's not alone! But at $12 a gallon it is pretty expensive and must be factored into the purchase price :poser
  20. Migs

Oddometer:
    I just thought that all the fuss about oil meant some special use for the oil. I'm quite sure any oil in the appropriate range works. Thanks for the clarification though. -Migs