Varadero XL1000V help needed

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Ken Fritz, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so I bought a 2003 Varadero XL 1000 V3 off an Internet advert in Ireland for a ride through Europe this summer. Everything I read says it's a great bike and I got a nice one with Hepco & Becker bags, MRA screen, LeoVInce cans, and with a full service, including brake pads for a good price.

Besides not trying the bike myself before purchase (a trustworthy and knowledgeable friend in Ireland took care of that), I have a few problems.
    Minor problem - nothing is available for it in the USA.
    1. no engine skid plate (found a German one for a ridiculous price of about 540Euros)
    2. no crash bars (Givi makes some that fit, but who else?)
    3. the seat is too high - major problem

I ride an 1150GS without much hassle. At 5'9" with 29-30" inseam, I'm fine on the GS, but at 33" seat height on the Varadero, I'm going to be beyond challenged. Anyone have knowledge of a lower seat for this thing? Sources? Experience? Photos?

I see lowering kits for suspension, but think the seat is easier to fix. True?

I don't mind used parts or seats if in good condidtion.

Thanks
  2. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    What? Nobody rides Varaderos in Canada?
  3. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you are looking for a lower seat for the bike you will need to look in europe
    I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY AFTERMARKET SUPPORT FOR THAT BIKE IN NORTH AMRERICA.
    look for TOURATECH and TOP SELLERIE ( spelling?? ) since the bike was never introduced in the USA i don't think COBIN ,RUSSEL,etc offer any seat options.
    are you sure the bike is that tall? i have only seen one but it did not look taller than my africa twin.i'm a little taller than you ( 31"-32" INSEAM ) and I ride all the bikes listed below, the KTM is lowered and i do have the lower TOURATECH seat on it.
    remeber the seat height is measured without a rider or luggage. it will sag at least an inch or two once loaded up.

NORTH RIDER
  4. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken

Sorry I didn't respond yet to your pm in regards to my topbox on my Varadero. I'm not here that often and just recently read my pm's when I logged on. I'll dig around for some photos of my topbox as you asked.

In regards to the other questions, I'm nearly 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I have no trouble with riding the Varadero. Keep in mind, however, that it's a very large bike. That being said, like all Hondas it magically sheds it's weight when underway. I have a number of friends and acquaintances that have purchased the Varadero as well, and all are shorter than I am. One gentleman is your height and doesn't have a problem, but he does have a lowering kit installed on his. Personally, I think it would be better to lower the bike than try to sculpt the seat. If memory serves me correct, I might know someone that has a used kit for sale. I can do some digging around if you like and see if he still has it. Otherwise, there are a number of vendors in Canada that have parts for the Varadero.
  5. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for any lead you may find on a used lowering kit. From what I've seen online, it shouldn't take too long to install. You're right about nothing availaable in NA for the bike. I expected that, but had to ask.

I've seen Bagster and Top Selliere seats (both very nice, made in France). They are very PRICEY! As for seat height, the book says it's 838 mm (33"). We'll be 2 up and loaded most of the time, but not all the time. I don't need to flat foot with both feet, but I'd like to be able to get one on the ground solidly. The bike may be OK as it is, but if not, we will be wasting time getting something done to lower it or getting some plaltform boots.:rofl
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    5'7" with a 30" inseam and had no problems riding a completely stock Varadero. It's typical Honda, very easy handling and hides its weight well.
  7. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The radiators prevent tank panniers - they' dcut off cooling air flow and interfere with the rider's knees.
  9. *AL-VARADERO*

*AL-VARADERO* Long Dist Adv/Tour

Oddometer:
    So true Ken and congrats on your Varadero purchase. You`re gonna love the bike. I have an `09 I imported from Canada. You and I must be the only 2 in all of USA with Varaderos, I imagine.
  10. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but yours is in the states, right? Mine is in Ireland now and likely will be left in Paris in August where it'll be waiting for our next tour. Are you the guy named Tre or Trent who had one in the UK?

I'm looking at crash bars now and leaning toward Givi. I'm also getting a lowering kit and a CB600 side stand, but wonder how difficult it will be to use the center stand after it's lowered. Any thoughts on this?
  11. STRANA

STRANA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once lowered you'll need help from a 2x4 to get it up on the center stand. Just put a 1' length in a side bag to roll up on to get you started.
  12. *AL-VARADERO*

*AL-VARADERO* Long Dist Adv/Tour

Oddometer:
    Yes Ken. Mine is here in the states, (Brooklyn, NY, USA) I`ve had the bike now for approximately 4 months and have clocked in excess of 7,500 miles. Sorry Ken, but no, I am not Tre or Trent.

[​IMG]

Here`s a fairly recent pic of my Varadero.
  13. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken

This is pic of my Varadero with the factory Honda top box. If you need additional photographs, I can take a few more detailed pics in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
  14. zandesiro

zandesiro In rust we trust....

Oddometer:
  15. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys who have lowered the bike 40mm with Hyper Pro links have cut 40mm off the lower legs of the center stand and welded the feet back on - a good fix.

They have also fitted stock Honda CBF600 side stands to replace the stock side stand. The stands interchange except some CBF600 stands require drilling a new hole in teh stand itself so the Varadero side stand switch will fit and work properly. This mod came from a Honda dealer in Ireland. I just bought a used CBF600 side stand for $20 and will carry it to Ireland to meet my bike.:beer

Search for The Varadero International Forum for more info on all things Varadero.
  16. zarly

zarly Action Pants!

Oddometer:
  17. Strey1100

Strey1100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, is this thread still active? I have 2 Varadero's here in America I am getting ready to sell...
  18. KZDon

KZDon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    N of 49 but actually S of 49 - it's complicated
    I have no idea what OPs are up to, but my riding mate has just bought a several years old brand new one from a dealer, and he is looking for a centre stand. Any preferences? Got one to sell?
  19. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there are still more new ones kicking around in some dealer's warehouses? They certainly weren't a great seller when they were available in Canada.
  20. Highway Troll

Highway Troll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW Motech makes a decent sump guard. Mine has survived a few hits. The givi crash bars have also been tested and I give them an A+.
    Unless you are really determined on lowering the bike I would suggest riding it for a few days first before lowering. They really are not that tall and as said before the weight does disappear when moving, loaded up with a full tank however they can be a touch heavy to get off the side stand.