Illinois to New Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by braq attack, Apr 19, 2012.

1. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my mind set on riding my Suzuki gs850 from my hometown in Illinois to my summer job in New Mexico. I have to be there on May 17 so things are getting close. I'm currently getting my bike road ready. It rides and accelerates good but I still have alot of other things to do before its road ready. I also have to get my licence so haha if I dont pass I'm in trouble.

basically I've planned out the route and feel confident that with practice I'll be just as road ready as the bike eventually. So Im just making this thread to touch base with the traveling experts here.

A few questions I have right off the bat is packing. I want to incorporate my hiking backpack as my main piece of luggage. I've been told that wearing it while riding is not a good idea. You'l probably all tell me thats true. just wanna be sure. this bike has a back luggage rack with a sliding back rest and i plan on carrying camping supplies to make it the 3/4 days ride. ive even found camping sites that i like via google maps.

mainly the route runs across Missouri into Kansas City then to Topeka, Wichita, and I think Dodge City. from there I have to option of going into Colorado then down a bit to my destination or across the pan handle of Oklahoma and just barely skimming the North Westerly corner of Texas. (I like this route because I can say Ive been in more states that the other route :evil)

What advice do you guys have? the bike is an 80 i believe and Ive been giving it alot of love since we pulled it out of my uncles barn. Still needs a front brake master cylinder, air filter, and a bit more carburetor love. My main concern is breaking down on the road and being stranded or not getting my licence in time.

thanks and if anyone is wondering my summer job is at Philmont Scout Ranch. I worked there last year and I despise the 16 hour train ride. hopefully i can go on my first real adventure without a hitch
  2. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Route 66 brother! It's awesome!
    [​IMG]
  3. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol I was thinking more like this

[​IMG]

thats the Colorado route.

here's the Oklahoma/Texas route

[​IMG]
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a southern Mo. northern Ar. route that will take you through the Ozarks ? You get another state on your life list and get Ok. and Tx. also. If you have the time the Wichata Mt.s west of lawton are pretty neat as well.
    You'll enjoy northern N.M. , it's beautiful.
  5. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont think I'll have time to do that route and im just a novice. I mean i dont even have experience at the moment except for about a mile of test riding. I think I should keep it as short of a route as possible. I think that over the summer though I'll take some trips around the NM/CO area. I know for sure that i will be taking 3 days off to vacation/tour Colorado with friends from back home. I wanna take my bike on that trip so that should be alot of fun. gonna see the Garden of The Gods and the Sand Dunes. both of those sound awesome
  6. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One mile of testing /

Is this your sum total of mc experience or just with this bike ?

The 850 is a heavy lump for a beginer.Get out without luggage and put some miles on. You're starting to worry me.
  7. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    I'd take the second route. I grew up in NM and the northeastern bit there is very scenic and enjoyable to ride. And I'd also suggest, as others have, getting out and riding a bit more. Ride with luggage and without, just to get a sense of how the bike handles both ways.

And, finally, I'm pretty sure the World's Largest Ball of Twine is around that area of Kansas. It's in Cawker City. It's been a while since I've been, but it's a silly distraction and a good place to stretch your legs. Then again, I like weird crap on the side of the road.

[​IMG]

9 tons of pure awesome :rofl.
  8. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *sigh* thats too far north. id love to take detours but this trip is more about the getting there. i know that sounds like a curse word to travelers and dont be confused I will enjoy the trip for all its worth. side trips just arent my priority. the open road in enough site seeing for me i think lol. being it my first motorcycle trip ever.

btw since im spending the summer in NM i dont need to take a summers worth of cloths and luggage on my bike. i plan on shipping a trunk via UPS or something and having it meet me out there. so i wont be needing to load down the bike with anything other than 2 days worth of camping gear and some tools.
  9. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    alright someone requested i post some pics of the bike. so i thought id just put them in my own thread.

here she is just after the first test ride. i know, i know

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/IMG_20120418_172625.jpg

back at the "shop"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/IMG_20120417_182621.jpg

another view

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/IMG_20120417_175546.jpg

pre front tire, pre carb restore,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/IMG_20120409_181508.jpg

bonus pic - gunk city (dont worry all her holes have been cleaned out) i hope

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/IMG_20120410_141928.jpg

also notice the new carb boots.
  10. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sigh

im disappointed in this sites ability to resize large images to fit the page. i guess they'll just be links

:cry
  11. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well today was a sweet day! finally got the petcock seal that I was waiting for. put it in and road her around a bit :D
    put on 6 miles just up and down the driveway! heres a vid...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/camera/VID_20120427_135156.m4v

I got on and realized there was no way i was going to ride while holding my phone. but shes pulls like a mule and im spent some time getting familiar with the weight and taking tight slow turns and circles. gotta pass that drivers test
  12. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you head out on your adventure you need to ride the bike and become familiar with it. You are a NOOB so experience is what you need. Do not take this as a negative as everyone on this site was one once.

Enjoy your journey and keep hydrated. Trust me. The air is dry out that way and you need water. LOTS of it.
  13. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah im still chomping at the bit to get on some practice runs. once I'm licenced, titled, insured, and geared up I'm going to be riding every day. and thanks for the advice on the water. I plan on having a camel pack for on the road hydration.
  14. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Here's my suggestion for the KS/OK/NM portion:

Google Map Link

Near Kenton, Oklahoma is the highest point in Oklahoma at Black Mesa.

NM-456 is now paved, and is a beautiful route through some mesa country.

You'll go through Folsom, NM. Namesake of the Folsom Point

Take NM-72 over Johnson Mesa into Raton. Another beautiful ride.

:ricky
  16. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow man thanks for this! i really like the scenery of that route. i did the 3d drive through feature :D. it really does look like an awesome route to take
  17. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I love that part of the country! :thumb
  18. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I'm doubting myself about NM-456. I've ridden it a few years ago when there was 17 miles of dirt. It was my understanding that it had been paved all the way through, but I'm not positive. I put a shout-out in The Rockies regional forum to see if any locals could tell me. You may have a few miles of gravel in the middle of the section between Kenton and Folsom. It's no biggie when dry, but if it's been raining, you might not want to take NM-456, unless we can confirm they've paved it all the way through...
  19. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow thanks. it would be real nice if its all paved. if not I might avoid it being a novice rider. I just wouldnt feel comfortable riding on gravel with lots of luggage on the back
  20. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I PM'd an inmate that lives over that way. I'll let you know what he says. It's been a few years since I was through there.