Stampeed Pass, Saturday 8/11

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by windmill, Aug 6, 2012.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is beautiful. Buy me and the Hawk a 2-way plane ticket and I'll be there! :wink:
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I were back in NM, I'd be telling my BRO that I need to use his GU for a wk or so & tell the dog to find his doggles.

You put up very good RRs, have want to join in on some of these neat rides w/ the Ural guys.

OH MAN! You guys are going to have a pure "mother" of a blast.
  4. Norms 427

Norms 427 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BEAUTIFUL PICTURE!!

I'd love to come, but wife has other ideas for the w/end. Maybe next time.
  5. northbendmark

northbendmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am interested in this ride for sure.....this is the ride that introduced me to Ural's three years ago. Hoping for no work conflicts and I will be there.
  6. Seattle_Chris

Seattle_Chris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can count me in for a partial! Last time was a hoot for sure.

My new tent and a few other supplies should be here by then, and I was planning on heading out that way and starting on Stampeed pass and then peeling up some of those more rugged looking, less used paths to test out the camping gear on and bringing the old pup along. I'm not sure why, but he LOVES offroading.

I've been downloading the topo maps on the tablet for the area now that I know at least a little on the area. So hopefully this time around it'll be able to lead me to water. :D I'm kinda thinking of trying to map out LOTS of the little dead end paths and taking pictures of the end of each one and anything interesting about 'em. :D Especially the the little seasonal creeks/falls. Gotta love those!

This time I'm prepared. Got big can/bottle of filter oil/cleaner! Also, put wing nuts on the filter topper, and thumb screws with neoprene washers+plastic washers on top to keep the dust out and allow for quick access. Well, tool-less access anyway. :) Oh, and my Valve adjustments were still good, and I got some Redline to try out as well. :D
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like we have at least 3 Urals, where are all those custom and home built rigs? Its just some dirt roads, no need to be timid. :evil

Motivational pictures from previous rides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  8. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Neat ride & pics. Have a good time this weekend.
    What's the deal with the denuded trees in the last pic?
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a forest fire many years ago, being at around 5000' elevation the extreme winter weather conditions bleach and preserve the wood of the dead trees.
  10. northbendmark

northbendmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We may want to pick a different meet up site. The Fesival at Mt. Si is this Saturday and there will be road closures and mobs of people. Out by I-90 may be better
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about the 76 station by the truck stop.
  12. northbendmark

northbendmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, a better choice given the festival event..... Hoping I can make most of the ride, my granddaughter (age 12) is visiting and wants to come along. Dont know how long she can last, but we will sure try !!!
  13. Seattle_Chris

Seattle_Chris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats the intersection of this 76 station and truck stop?
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    468th Ave and North Bend Way, exit 34
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I think that in a couple of hours I'm gonna have a temporary solution to my blown out front shock. So keep your eyes open for a white 1150GS rig. If I'm late, I assume y'all are going over Stampede down to Lester? I should be able to catch you. After all, yer on Urals . . . prolly take you guys an hour to get from Tinkham to Hyak! :rofl

Edit: for you out-of-towners who stumble on this, Tinkham to Hyak is about 15 miles on a 70-mph interstate, but . . . it's all uphill. Bit of a struggle for them russian-bilt machines!
  16. Square4

Square4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drone; I'm off to Washington, DC tomorrow and can not make it, beside you are starting on the wrong side of the Cascades. I was thinking that with your front shock being blown that all you have to do is keep your front wheel in the air and not have to use the front fork. Have a safe and fun ride.

Steve
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey drone, I hope you can make it.

Yes the plan is to head over Stampede to Lester and cut over Pyramid to Greenwater. From North Bend we will be taking I-90 to Tinkham rd and Denny Creek road to the summit, then 4832 from the summit to 54.
  18. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Thought that might be the case, the light coloring threw me off. Thanks for the info.
    Hope you guys have a great ride.
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Got home about 9pm after an eventful day.

Northbendmark left a muffler on the trail near Windy Gap, Windmill left part of his helmet at Tacoma Pass, Seattle_Chris got to try out his 2-wheel drive (still needed a push), and I cooked my clutch (after 64,000 miles, it had to happen sooner or later.) We had a great time!

Details and pics forthcoming.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride today,
    But I lost the removable chin guard off my helmet, fortunately the replacement is only $25.

Seattle-Chris told me about his little off road foray, though he didn't mention the getting stuck part. Still he was doing an excellent job of keepng up with us even though he has less than 4000 km of experience on a sidecar.

Mark's muffler falling off is probably a cloud with a silver lining, he has the old style mild steel exhaust, this is a perfect excuse for the SWMBO that a new 2 into 1 high exhaust is necessary for safety's sake.:deal
    The ride included some climbs up 20+ degree grades at higher elevations that are fiarly rough and several miles long, if your clutch has any issues they will finish it off. I'm sure Drone will be soliciting suggestions for a suitable replacement for his clutch.

The weather was wonderful but boy was it dusty, any closer than 1/4 mile behind the guy in front of you was too close. There were a lot of other bikes out there, including 3 stalwart fellows from Oregon trying to find their way through the maze of roads without a map, and 1 questionable GPS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]