Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:

Yeah, I figured that's what you're up to. While I was going to a gala in a tux, the cool kids got to play in the dirt. :becca

Good thing them there axles are pretty cheap. Buy 'em with everyhting attached already and it's even better. Thank you Mr. Chinaman.
  3. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being a home brewer, I can certainly agree with bartering beer for information. Otherwise, we have a plenty of great local craft brews from around the area that I could send along your way.

I am picking up a R1200GS Adv in San Diego on April 4th, and riding it back to Minneapolis. My current route takes me:

San Diego --> Los Angeles
    Los Angeles --> Las Vegas for Lunch --> Grand Canyon

Here is where my route is still somewhat undecided. I would love to be able to see the sites through Colorado, but I worry about safe travel conditions first then cold weather comfort second.

I will be sporting a two piece roadcrafter with an electric vest, winter gloves, heated grips, and layers/layers/layers.

I have put some serious miles on the bike everyday to get back in time. 380-625 miles/day pending the day.

While I would love to get into Colorado and see the scenery, I will be riding with a Pillion through unknown areas so I want to make sure that I don't over do it.

As for routes, I would like to keep it on pavement with good views. My first thought was Grand Canyon to Grand Junction to either Nebraska or Kansas.

I feel it would be a shame in a cross country trip to miss the beauty of Colorado.
  4. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not?!?:freaky

Hope the bikes are treating you well Ozzie, I still miss the Strom!
  5. Ozzie

Ozzie OZZIE

Oddometer:
    Greg - I sold the Dr last spring but the Strom is going strong.

Ozzie
  6. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Good to hear!
  7. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I was able to get out to Rabbit Valley on the new ride on Sunday. I sold my WR450 and bought an '08 KTM 300 XC with a IMS Desert Tank, a Rekluse and some other goodies. I have to say, I love the 300!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JaI3o1pfqtw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

Any locals up for some desert singletrack one of these weekends? Rabbit Valley, North Fruita Desert, whatever... I'm open to suggestions.

I would also like to get up to DeBeque sooner rather than later, but don't know the riding area or trails.
  8. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for DB one of these days. I still haven't heard if they are open and/or survived the fire last year.
  9. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I understood the riding area wasn't involved in the fire. I need to get out there and do some scouting, I'm sure it's not hard to find... just have to do it.
  10. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    It's not easy to find, let me know when you plan on heading out there. I will go if possible.
  11. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    It would be good to have someone that knows the area out there! I'd like to ride with you too, Tony.

What's your schedule usually like? I'm normally off Fri, Sat & Sunday... there is a slight chance I'll be working next weekend, but if you're available on Sat or Sunday let's try plan something out.
  12. jcbikes1

jcbikes1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice video. what trail is that. Other than weight, how did the 300 compare to the wr. does the rekluse make up for the lose of low end torque of the WR?
  13. Greg@RME

Oddometer:

Those are 3 different trails at Rabbit Valley, first part is the Western Rim, 2nd part with the hilly singletrack is Trail #6 (Brians trail?) and the third part with the fun climbs & ledges is Trail #8.

I can honestly say that the differences between the WR450 and the KTM 300 are huge, there really is no comparison. The suspension on the KTM works very well, where the WR's suspension just worked OK. I do sometimes miss the instant torque of the WR when I'd blip the throttle, I need to get better with my clutch & throttle control with the KTM to loft the front end. The WR is very top heavy and when it has an extra 40 pounds over the KTM, you really feel it when riding the rocky, rough stuff. I feel like I can recover the KTM much easier when it get's sideways. The torque of the 300 is very impressive for a 2T and with the Rekluse, it's like cheating. The bike will motor up damn near anything as long as you have enough momentum to stay upright.

I don't know that I would have bought the Relkuse myself, as I feel like my clutch control has been getting better in the last year or so... but since this KTM came with one and I've ridden with it, there's no way it's coming off. It makes rough stuff way too easy.

I'm planning on adding a Slavens Mule cyl. head to increase torque a bit more, will probably keep the factory pipe so I can fit the Hyde Racing skidplate/pipe guard.
  14. jcbikes1

jcbikes1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do still shift gears with the rekulse? just no use of the clutch lever? I have never seen one and no nothing of its operation. thanks.
  15. HiluxCrux

HiluxCrux Under western skies.

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you ride this weekend. Should be able to get free.
  16. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    It's new to me as well, so no worries. I've been using the clutch to shift and tried shifting w/o the clutch lever. I still don't trust it fully, if that makes any sense.

It would be good to get out again Aaron! If I can't get to DeBeque, I'd be up for the Fruita Desert. As mentioned, my schedule is up in the air at the moment and not looking good for being off this weekend. I will update this thread later in the week and hopefully set solid plans.
  17. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    Can't sleep...Moved to Denver to facilitate my career path and continue my tenure with employer....Umm, Can I rant here?
  18. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    Still have them?
    I just sold my O8 530 :cry to facilitate a move to Denver :puke1. (see "unbelievable" post)... when I recover from this mess, I'll check in on you.

19. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I rode out at Rabbit Valley again on Saturday, ended up riding the Western Rim to warm up with, then made my way over to the Zion Curtain. Lots of steep hills, rocks, ledges and way too many deep whoops. Ended up with about 40 miles in just over 2 hours! It was pretty brutal, even though I was solo, I was pushing myself to ride fast... the bike will do it, now I need to! I ended up running off-trail a bit and nearly impaled my arm on a big cedar tree branch... ripped the hell out of my pressure suit! My arm is bruised and sore. :eek1

Just a taste of the ride, this section is probably about 1/3 of the days ride.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JmoZEEnci5M" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>
  20. DCZ

DCZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along - rode HITR Thurs. - wish we had a GOPRO - some pretty technical sections for a couple 650R's and my skill level.

You think we could keep enough speed up to keep the 650's cool on this trail?

Rick