2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They made it heavier. Going the wrong direction....
  2. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    Not really bad, for the street, which i think this is for.
    If I'm right (doesn't happens that much), they'll come out with this for the street and with something for the dual purpose (smaller and lighter) but I'll guess we'll have to see.
  3. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Ok, it doesn't look that bad in this pic

[​IMG]

At least looks far better than the old pics with a 19 front wheel. Maybe that one was the 1290 and now we are truly watching a 1190R. This one looks more "finished product" but I still hope they get rid of that exhaust.
    Still makes me wanna keep my 990 !
  4. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me it looks just great and more minimalistic (see easy to work on) than the current 2hrs oil change model.
  6. Master

Master Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fix. That. Exhaust.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I would never ever buy something like this but hopefully this means they will introduce a smaller 800-ish Adventure version to go along with it - which would be awesome!! :clap
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    KTM still owns domain www.700adventure.com :wink:
  9. FechFech

FechFech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read the article in the (print edition) of "Motorrad" magazine in the meantime (teaser here: http://www.motorradonline.de/artikelvorschau/fahrbericht-ktm-1190-adventure-r/421395).

Tech Specs of the 1190 Adventure R are:

- Detuned 75 degree V-twin from RC8
    - 150 HP at 10'000 RPM
    - 230 kg with a full tank of 24 liters
    - 21 inch front wheel, 18 inch rear wheel
    - Seat hight 840 mm
    - Dual 300 mm discs front brake
    - 265 mm disc rear brake
    - Traction control with 2 modes: Sport/Road (full power), Offroad/Rain (power limited to 100 HP)
    - ABS, with offroad mode (i.e. no ABS on rear brake, limited slip of front wheel possible)
    - Ride by wire

Ride impressions:

- Engine is fantastic, smooth power at bottom end, mighty punch in midrange, endless power at high RPM
    - Engine is miles ahead of current 990, much better at bottom end, lots more power
    - Slight vibes above 7500 RPM
    - Power delivery at high RMP similar to Multistrada, but much better at low RPM and midrange
    - Suspension is top-notch, handling is excellent, steering very precise

The bike was ridden by the editor in chief of "Motorrad", together with Philipp Habsburg, development manager of KTM. Habsburg says the goal is to build the best adventure bike in its class, period. There will be also an 1190 Adventure (without the "R"), with 19/17 inch wheels and less travel, which is more road orientated. Both bikes will be unveiled at the EICMA show in Milan (November 15 to 18) and be available at dealers in March 2013.

Personally, I'll certainly test-ride the bike when it's available next spring. I currently own a 990 SMT and I look forward to see that engine in a 1190 SMT. If it can replace my 990 SMT and my 690 Enduro remains to be seen...

Here is one more picture of the 1190 Adventure R from "Motorrad" magazine:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

FechFech
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give more pain, I can take it :cry
  11. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Yup. Honestly, its a cool looking bike. But one of the reasons I sold my 955i Tiger to switch to the 950A was the Tiger had a low pipe running under the bike. Made fitting a proper skid plate hard to do and PRICEY as well. Too close to flying rocks in my world.

Hard to see how this bike solves the buffeting...

Would love to get a ride on one (duh). Looks fun despite these. Won't be selling my 950 for one. Won't be getting rid of a 950 for anything right now short of a 7XXcc Adventure. I still can't believe this bike doesn't exist. Come on, KTM.
  12. FechFech

FechFech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid we will never see a bike like many in this forum crave for: a 700 to 800 cc twin cylinder, less than 200 kg with a full tank and a range of 300+ kilometer, about 90 to 100 HP, 21/18 wheels, robust and easy to maintain. It could be built, but the market for such a bike is too small. As a rule of thumb about 15'000 bikes need to be sold over 3 years to recover development cost and make some profit. I doubt there is a market for more than 3000 to 5000 bikes like these worldwide. Sure, the typical ADVrider user would love such a bike (as would I), but how many are there ?

What KTM could (and should, IMHO) do is bring back the 950 Superenduro with the current 990 engine, more range, and less travel (i.e. 210 mm as in the current Adventure) to make it less intimidating to anyone who is not as tall as a basketball player. The market for this bike wouldn't be huge, but nor would be development costs, because all the parts are already there.

I solved the problem of the "ultimate road / dirtroad adventure bike" simply with 2 bikes: a 990 SMT for pure road trips, and a 690 Enduro for mixed road / offroad riding. Besides cost, there are only two drawbacks of this setup: (1) the 690 E is not very comfortable on long rides on paved roads, and (2) I need to decide which bike to take before every ride. Both issues are luxury problems I can live with ;-)

Cheers,

FechFech
  13. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Thaks Fech :clap

OK, I liked everything I read...
    The off road mode ABS sounds perfect to me since I really like it at front but hate it at the rear on off road.
    You said "230 kg with a full tank of 24 liters", it means it has a 24 liter tank and weights 230kg or it weights 230kg wet?
    Did they said anything about suspension travel on R and standar model?

While I don't like the exhaust I'm sure the aftermarket industry will fix that soon.
    What I really miss? the Rally/Dakar looks. I love the tanks and fairing on 950/990 ...:cry
  14. FechFech

FechFech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The weight of 230 kg (507 pounds) is ready to ride and with the tank filled to capacity. Unfortunately the article doesn't say anything about travel.

Cheers,

FechFech
  15. AlphaDogDaddy

AlphaDogDaddy AlphaDogDaddy

Oddometer:

I subscribe to this multi bike theory, with a Norton Vintage bike, 1200 GS Adventure, Ural 2WD, Harley Screaming Eagle Touring rig, and soon (probably) a 990 Adventure... However, for me to to ride off pavement for a full day or two, I have to ride a few hundred miles before I can even start! I do not want to travel 4 or 5 hours on an Interstate on a 690 Enduro, nor do I want to cruise the back country of Big Bend on an 990 SMT... I really like the idea of a 950 with the 990 power plant. In the meanwhile...:tough
  16. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    The "R" means off-road and thus equipped with a 21" front wheel. I tried really hard to look in the article if the rear was a 17 or an 18 but it looks to me like an 18 incher. Supposedly the non-R will be equipped to more directly complete with the new water cooled GS coming next year, so presumably 19/17 combo. From the photos, the travel looks to be very similar to the standard 990 so figure about 210, maybe 220 front and rear. The article stated a seat height of 840mm so I can't imagine any more travel than this will keep that nice prone collector off the ground.

Still, I am pleasantly surprised. No, it's not the purest bike I would like, but that bike won't win KTM the volume it needs to stay afloat. Like it or not, the market wants (for now) a bike more like the Multistrada than the current Adventure and if not for the void left by the departure of the 950SE, I would not have any problem with this. As it is, I'll keep my 07 990 until either a smaller twin hits the market, or I stop riding more than just gravel roads.
  17. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great to me. Much like the current 990 but with tons more power and workable ABS. So far it sounds great!
  18. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Not sure why everyone is harping on the exhaust. This isn't the production model. I doubt the exhaust is staying where you see it. It looks very rudimentary and I'm sure the final resting place will be in a high, cleanly run position. Bike looks good to me. And I'm sure the kickstand, cooling, blah blah blah issues are gone. Expect growing pains just like any new model though.
  19. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    two weeks ago i was in scotland with my adventure and a friend with my old adventure

on the isle of Skye at neist point i drove directly into the promotion fotos for the new 1190 :eek1

the ktm guys were very friendly and had no problem to let us through, guys on the bikes were friendly waving for us on our KTM Bikes
    for fairness we took no pictures

there were two bikes running up and down a nice scenic street and a fotographer with large flashes stood beside the road
    he did a foto of me too

one of the new bikes had a smaller frontwheel, one a larger, so i think there will be no new SM-T

they had decors in black-orange and black-grey/or silver
    exhaust was like on the prototype pics (deep)
  20. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    Well, since I am no RC8 owner I don't know if they have the same water pump issues as the LC8. KTM doesn't appear to have learned from the side stand debacle of the LC8: it still appears to be bolted directly to the engine cases (don't shoot if I am wrong; I can only judge based on what I can see in the Motorrad article pictures).

Also, I doubt a whole lot will change on the exhaust location. The only thing likely to change is the level of finish will improve to the usual production level standards.